Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #46  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies!
I'm excited about the new challenge! I came into the last challenge late and ended up gaining a pound,(I think its TOM weight though).
I do find it hard lately to stay motivated because of the extra weight I gained in January and February makes me depressed and feel like I'm a hopeless case and destined to be fat forever, I got off track the beginning of the year when I got sick and I am still trying to get back to where I was at the end of December. So mostly I have to kick bad habits again and the only good thing I can think of is that I started to exercise regularly again. We have had so much going on lately and its been really hard to focus on my weight loss, but I have got to do it because I am so miserable. My back hurts and lately my foot has been hurting and I know it is all because of my weight.
Anyway enough of my sob story, I'm off to drink some water and eat a healthy lunch!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanweightorbust View Post

And now I'm going to check out this walking across the country thing I've read about in the thread, and build my ticker to contribute! Are we supposed to be trying to reach the first location by the end of the current challenge?
The goal is to get as far as you can by May 25th....each minute of exercise counts a mile...all exercise counts...I think the first location is from start to the Delaware state line...and I think that is like 45-50 miles...so that is less than an hour of exercise...just try to go as far as you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanweightorbust View Post
OK I give up. Can somebody tell me how to modify the tracker to show miles walked instead of pounds lost? I figured out how to manipulate the html code to change 'lbs' to 'miles', but my knowledge of html stops there. For now, I'm not going to fuss with it, but am going to do some exercises. Help?
When you go to make a ticker choose tickers for exercise and not for weight loss....I use tickerfactory tickers cause I can't ever get my 3FC ones to update???

So....I have finished my first 30 minutes of exercise to kick off this challenge! I'm headin' to the Delaware state line.....I plan on getting there by the end of the day....I'm gonna take at least a 30 minute walk before the day is over!

So far I'm on plan with food...and I have even had over 32 ounces of water so far today!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #48  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth135 View Post
Hi Ladies!
I'm excited about the new challenge! I came into the last challenge late and ended up gaining a pound,(I think its TOM weight though).
I do find it hard lately to stay motivated because of the extra weight I gained in January and February makes me depressed and feel like I'm a hopeless case and destined to be fat forever, I got off track the beginning of the year when I got sick and I am still trying to get back to where I was at the end of December. So mostly I have to kick bad habits again and the only good thing I can think of is that I started to exercise regularly again. We have had so much going on lately and its been really hard to focus on my weight loss, but I have got to do it because I am so miserable. My back hurts and lately my foot has been hurting and I know it is all because of my weight.
Anyway enough of my sob story, I'm off to drink some water and eat a healthy lunch!

Hey Ruth! Girl...don't even worry about coming in here and blowing off some steam. You can't hold all that in. We don't look at it like your coming in here with a sob story. I know exactly what you are going through. Last summer I went from 260 to 233. Then I got really "busy" and slacked off. I haved gained all that weight back and then some. I could just kick myself. I think it is hard starting over again when you have already worked so hard to lose weight and then we gained it back. But you have to look at it like this....we can start making small changes and lose slowly and eventually get to where we want to be or we can just sit there being mad at ourselves for fallin' off the wagon.....I have finally come to terms with my failure. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and do better this time. I know you will too! And you have a great support system here to back you up!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygirl View Post
Purple - way to fly right by me! GEEZ! I like your plan of walking in the back yard when you can't get to the track... you can also walk in your house.
BTW, thanks for doing the math for us, girl. Very helpful to know it is still achievable. Anyway, I started with WATP a long time ago but they are just boring to me now. I do sometimes walk around my house as it opens into a circle, so that is my plan C...I don't feel it is as challenging for some reason, my heart rate doesn't go as high I don't think

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post
Eny - I heard the most awesome idea the other day over on the 5 pound # 60 challenge....this woman says that anytime she is on the phone she walks from one room to another....
I do this! I walk circles around my house or clean while on the phone...and now my 7 year old does it and everyone thinks it is hilarious. She says "hello?" and starts to walking circles I can really get a sweat up sometimes on a long call, gets kinda hard to talk if I go too fast though!

Quote:
I do find it hard lately to stay motivated because of the extra weight I gained in January and February makes me depressed and feel like I'm a hopeless case and destined to be fat forever,
It's not a sob story, it's reality! It happens to everyone until we realize that it has to be about lifestyle change...and you don't quit a lifestyle no matter what, right? I am right where you are pretty much, back to 240 after being down to 218 last summer I think of it like this...you can start right this second getting back to that low weight with the committment to keep going this time, or you can keep increasing that number and feeling frustrated!

It's hard to relose the weight, but doing that is the only thing that will fix the problem and get you back to where you were. YOU CAN DO IT, and MELISSA CAN DO IT, and I CAN DO IT...WE CAN! Just think of what you were doing back then that you have let slip and start doing it again RIGHT NOW
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Eny - I heard the most awesome idea the other day over on the 5 pound # 60 challenge....this woman says that anytime she is on the phone she walks from one room to another....I thought that was a great way to get 30-45 minutes of exercise in if your like me...I can spend up to an hour on the phone sometimes getting caught up with friends/family.....I'm going to try to start doing this
I do that CONSTANTLY - but I've never counted my phone pacing as exercise... hmmm... Maybe I should start tracking that. I walk as fast in my house as I would during a warm up walk - and I too can get pretty talkative.

Quote:
Hi Ladies!
A man is NOT defeated when he loses, He's defeated when he QUITS. I know this isn't easy... but you've admitted mistakes that you made earlier this year and you know what to do to rectify them... DON'T QUIT!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #51  

Hey everyone! I just returned from the gym after putting in 1/2 an hour on the elliptical! I'm pooped! I have had a great on plan day even with some added family stress today! I'm glad that I didn't binge on some unhealthy food or use it as an excuse to not work out!

So, I have officially crossed the Delaware State line and I'm on my way to Chesapeake Bay in Maryland!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #52  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Thanks for breaking that down. To think that I could be in ONEderland by the end of the challenge!

I think one habit I've improved on is saying "yes" automatically. Now, I pause more to consider how saying yes will affect me, my time, and my ability to achieve my goals.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #53  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Quote:
...but I have got to do it because I am so miserable. My back hurts and lately my foot has been hurting and I know it is all because of my weight.
Ruth, I get it. I have these thresholds in my weight that result in lovely aggravating problems. 197 results in acid-reflux, and 205 results in major ankle/foot pain. I hate that I grow to accept them, rather than push to get back to a healthy weight. This time I am not giving up. We can do it!

Quote:
So, I have officially crossed the Delaware State line and I'm on my way to Chesapeake Bay in Maryland!!!
I'm right behind ya! Got the dog and the boyfriend out for a 45 minute walk! It was fantastic! And the boyfriend took the scale. He will only allow me my 1xaweek weight in. ;0)

So gonna get myself some tracking for the Walk Across America, and see you all later! Have a great night!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #54  

40 minutes on the bike tonight
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #55  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Quote:
Eny - I heard the most awesome idea the other day over on the 5 pound # 60 challenge....this woman says that anytime she is on the phone she walks from one room to another....I thought that was a great way to get 30-45 minutes of exercise in if your like me...I can spend up to an hour on the phone sometimes getting caught up with friends/family.....I'm going to try to start doing this

THAT WAS ME!!!
It works so well!!!
I walk at least 45 minutes 2 times day .
And when I am on the phone I walk~If I TALK I WALK!

(Plus you can walk indoors and its safe /Private And good for me since it was fall and winter when I first started and I have severe asthma)

It really helps! I MAY EVEN HAVE SOME SEXY LEGS WHEN I REACH MY GOAL!
LOL!(we will have to see hahaha)

Thanks to everyone by the way~You of course McKensiesmomma
Jo7475,& heather1979 For the comments~YOU ALL MADE MY DAY!

Ok~For those who have asked what plan I follow~I count calories & do my walking. I am On 1400 to 1450 calories a day~
I started out with no walking and was losing weight so quickly that I wanted to add in some exercise...SO I didn't look Or feel out of shape when I reach my goal....And I started out with walking 15 mintues 3 times a day.
Then upped it until I eventually got to 45 minutes 2 times a day~plus if I am on the phone I walk.(Although sometimes I get my 45 mintues in that way too.)
I also read this following information and it helped me out and I call it my life saver because I never knew any of it before so I hope it helps someone else as it has me~(Anyone interested in counting calories can go to www.freedieting.com
And on right hand side use there free calculator to see how much you can eat and still lose weight.)
It's great counting calories~I can still eat the stuff I like to eat~Just smaller portions and Lots less of junk food.(I EAT PIZZA MOST EVERYDAY! HONESTLY!)
At first it was Kinda hard But 5 months in I have changed my life.
I know with doing this I can maintain when My goal is reached!

HERES THAT INFO:

Principles
Weight management may be difficult to achieve, but it certainly is not difficult to understand. When you consume food or drink, you consume calories. Your body burns calories to function, burning significantly more calories when you exercise. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.
Because your body requires energy simply to stay alive, you burn calories even when you are not exercising. In fact, you burn calories directly in proportion to your body weight. On average, a male burns 11 calories per day per pound of body weight. The average female burns 10 calories per day per pound of body weight. These figures are just averages. Some people will be higher or lower, since everyone's metabolism is a little different. Fitness Record allows you to specify the value which is appropriate for you. If you don't know, it is suggested that you start by using the average value for your gender.
For example, if John weighs 150 pounds, he burns approximately 150 x 11 = 1,650 calories per day. If he exercises, he will burn additional calories on top of that, depending on the exercise activity. However, if he does not exercise, he must eat 1,650 calories per day, just to maintain his body weight. If he eats more, he will gain weight. If he eats less, he'll lose weight.
For the purpose of calculating expected weight gain/loss, one pound is 3,500 calories. Each time you consume an extra 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. For example, Jane weighs 130 pounds, never exercises, and eats exactly 1,400 calories every day. Her metabolism is burning 1,300 calories per day, so she are consuming an extra 100 calories each day. If she does this indefinitely, she will gain a pound in 35 days, since 35 * 100 = 3,500.
Fitness Record uses another term, called Behavioral Weight. The idea is that over the long term, your weight is determined by your behaviors, and is best illustrated by example. Consider Jane above, who eats 1,400 calories per day. After 35 days of this behavior, she will weigh 131, instead of 130. This means her metabolism will burn slightly more calories than before. If she continues to eat 1,400 calories every day, she will continue to gain weight, but at a slightly slower pace. Eventually, she will weigh 140, at which time her metabolism will be burning 1,400 calories every day. At this point, she will stop gaining weight, since she is consuming the same number of calories that she burns. Therefore, by eating 1,400 calories in a day, Jane is behaving like a 140 pound person. Her "behavioral weight" is 140.
Exercise contributes to your calories burned. If Jane were to exercise, burning an additional 100 calories each day, then her calories burned would be in balance with her calories consumed. She could eat 1,400 calories per day, exercise 100 calories per day, and continue to way 130 indefinitely.
You may now be asking, "Why can't I just eat low fat foods?" You can eat whatever you want. But, non-fat foods can still have calories. Check the food label to find out if eating the non-fat version of a food is really saving you any calories -- sometimes it's not. Many programs recommend moderating your dietary fat intake, and that is obviously good advice. Eating low-fat foods happens to be an excellent guideline for keeping your calorie intake low. In addition, moderating your dietary fat intake may contribute to your health in other ways. However, it will not alter the mathematics of weight management -- you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.
The problem with the way the human body works is that calories counting is tedious and difficult. Most weight-loss programs, as well as the so-called "fad diets", focus on other guidelines which are simpler to follow than calorie counting. However, none of these guidelines alter the underlying principles of weight management.

Last edited by Lori259; 04-13-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #56  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

OH~I almost forgot to add,
Calorie counting is free!!!!
Plus the walking is free!!!!
I didn't have the money for exercise equipment or diets I saw on ads or tv.
SO I AM THANKFUL FOR BOTH~Plus I will know how to maintain and not have to worry about products still after I reach my goal.

As an added note I lost my first 13.3 lbs With no exercise~But I do recommend exercise. But Just changing your calorie intake will help with weight loss.

GOODLUCK EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Lori259; 04-13-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #57  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Thanks, Melissa! I think I'll get this tracker thing figured out tomorrow - tonight I'm just too tired after work...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #58  

30 minutes with Gilad this morning....I have no idea where I am but I know I have a long way to go still

I really, really did not want to exercise this morning...I wanted to SLEEP! But I made myself get up and get going and just do it and I am glad I did. My daughter did not sleep half the night so I am exhausted and now have to go drag her grumpy, tired butt out of bed for school.

is it summer yet?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #59  

Lori-- Great stuff you have posted! I'm sure that is going to help some people look at this differently.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Good morning girls! It's great to see so many getting a jumpstart on the walk across the USA! I just did a 15 min ball workout - had to cut it short, sinc ei have to get Hunter to school, and then off to my mom's for scrapbooking day... but I'm going to work in something this afternoon too - If it's not raining Hunter and I can walk/bike around for a bit... I miss being outside!! I'll DEFINATELY be at the Chesapeake Bay by night fall.

I'll check in with you all later.

Last edited by Enygirl; 04-14-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Closed Thread