G2009-This Takes More Then Luck -Thread #2

You're on Page 2 of 17
Go to
  • Quote: Purple - I can't imagine any doctor actually telling you to completely cut something out cold turkey just like that.....If you have trouble doing it that way....DO NOT be afraid to set up a plan to ween yourself off....cold turkey is hard....
    No, the doctor did not tell me to cut anything cold turkey. The doctor's plan for my daughter is cutting out sugar and artificial sweetners/coloring except for you know special occasions, etc. it has made a huge difference in her already, I can see it. Of course, she does get a little since they give it to her at school, etc. but we have just changed what she eats at home.

Completely cutting out sugar is my own thing. I can eat healthy and feel great as long as i cut out sugar, and cold turkey is the only way i can do it. I have spent years dealing with it and now know I am a sugar addict, one little piece of candy and immediately I am like on an eating rage and I want to eat more and more. If I give myself a week or two with absolutely no sugar and cutting back on refined carbs then I feel SO much better and my eating stays on plan. Then I hit a birthday or something and think "it's just one little piece of cake" but that one little piece sends me into a binge every single time...and then it's the same course you already laid out in your response to eny about why exercise, I've ruined it, etc.

anyway, sugar gives me urges to eat and makes me feel out of control and it took a long time to realize it was the sugar and refined carbs (esp. white pastas) that were triggering binges for me. So, I need to cut it out cold turkey because i can't control it with just eating a little.

I just get headaches and have low energy the first couple days. This time I jsut can't have that "one little piece" when the special occasions come up. It was my daughter's birthday that set me off track this time I have to learn from the mistakes and knwo that sugar and my brain just do not function well together!

Okay, so I did 25 minutes on the track and burned off 250 calories. I was planning an hour but 80 degree weather and a pounding headache don't go well together and I started to feel lightheaded...not good when I have to drive myself home! I worked until almost 3AM and think i have just overdone myself...so off for a little nap before hubby and the kids come home from his mamas house.

Mel thanks for caring enough to ask about the sugar thing. I know cold turkey usually doesn't work, but for me it is the only way!
  • Here is what the sites said~~I need 1457 calories a day. So minus 200 is 1257 calories a day. my bmi is 28.8 needs to be 25 or less. my calories burned each day is 1951. That done

MY NO EXCUSE COMMITMENT IS:

Journal all things I eat. Stay within my 1200-1257 range. Get the recommended amount of fiber every day!!!

Drink 64 ounces of liquid each day. Limit myself to one diet soda a day.

Exercise no less than 30 minutes a day. Take Noelle for a morning walk::: NO EXCUSES ARE EXCEPTED!!!!!!!!
  • Here's my commitment for the week...

1. CALORIES: Cycle between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. Cut back on the sugars, because they make me crave salty stuff, which makes me crave sugary stuff, which gets me back to the salty etc.!
    2. WATER: Drink 56 ounces of water/day... at least.
    3. EXERCISE: Start parking farther away to get more walking in, do Wii modified exercises at least every other night. Take my son to the park.
    4. BONUS: Lay off the BW3's! Holy moly I could eat bbq boneless wings every single day, I swear! :P It's killin' my diet and my budget.
  • Purple - okay that makes more sense.....and as long as it works for you stick with it Your right about refined sugar by the way...it is JUST LIKE a drug....it hits your blood stream really quickly and sugar levels spike and then your insulin takes care of it making your sugar levels drop and then you start feeling hungry again and craving sugar.....it is a vicious cycle...just like any addiction....

Marimari- surf the net and see if you can't find a home made recipe for the wings that is just as good but saves you calories??? If there is something I see that I'm splurging on often eating out...I try to do some kind of home made lower cal/lower fat version of it......satisfies my craving without hurting my calorie budget and waist

Dixie - I'm so glad you are back

It looks like alot of you are getting geared up for a successful week....just keep telling yourself...it is just one week! This is just your plan for one week!!!! You can get through one week of on plan eating and on plan working out...YES YOU CAN! If you keep feeling the urge to splurge....just keep saying....wait till Saturday ....wait till Saturday....and I'm betting by Saturday you will be so happy with your weigh in and the way you feel that you will be back on track!

Fauxtini- Where are you???
  • (I forgot to do this eariler because I got caught up with Mel's new weekly challenge thingy...)

CONGRATULATIONS to our biggest loser: MariMari!!!! You deserve every pound and I am proud of you

Both my kids will be gone all day tomorrow with hubby again so I am going to the track at least once...may even go twice if they stay gone long enough! So nice to finally have a bit of a kid break
  • Hey girls! I like the answers so far - they do make sense. I'm a huge stress eater too - as well as a bordom eater. My other big problem is that I don't cook meals - I make snacks (as DH says). I'll eat some chips & cheese for dinner and then be hungry 2 hours later, where he'll make a full dinner of nachos with all the fixings ( healthily) and we'll be full. *sigh*

I love Mel's new challenge - you ROCK at these!!!

Here is my NO EXCUSES commitment for the rest of the challenge.
    1. Calories 1600-2000 a day -logging EVERYTHING.
    2. 5 bottles of water a day. (approx 84.5 oz.)
    3. 30 mins of exercise 3x's a week minimum.

I know I can do it. i've been doing a lot of walking in the last 2 days. Yesterday it was around the block (1/2 mile) and today I walked in stores for 3 hours. It counts for me - even if I was looking at adorable baby stuff.

Even though I'm not expecting to lose any weight - I'm still committing to remain with you girls and to stay healthy through this pregnancy. I know I'll probably gain more weight - but I'm ok with that - as ong as I stick to the above guidelines - it'll be manageable... and then once I'm past the 6 week mark I can start working out hard again - although my cals will have to stay up for the breast feeding purposes. I can't wait!!!
  • Hi everyone!

Melissa- I love the challenge. Its so motivating.

My "No excuse" plan:

1. Eat 1400 calories a day

2. Go to the gym at least 4 times this week. If I cant a day, ill stay longer one day. Try to stay an hour.

3. Drink at least 80 oz of water.

4. Try not to eat so much sodium, I think I have a water weight problem with that. I seem to retain water alot even when I drink alot of water.

I got my make up today. I like it! Im happy with my purchase, thanks purple!

Im going to Las Vegas soon so the more weight I lose by then the better my jeans will fit me.

I know we can all do this, its very doable and it is just ONE week. Good luck girls!!

Eny- I dont cook meals either, I think that is a big problem. I tend to eat alot of odds and ends of foods that end up being worse than eating a meal.

I agree with some of the other girls. I think we lose momentum in the middle because we expect too much and when we dont see the results we get very discouraged. Melissa is right though, 2 pds a week is ALOT in a year. It may not seem like a lot when you think you worked so hard but in the end you will be happy with what you lost.
    I also think that we get too lazy and push it off weeks at a time. Maybe things are going on and you dont really feel like thinking about "dieting". After that that you are thinking you just wasted a week or maybe 2 and you think the cycle is just gonna happen over and over again. Losing weight definatly isnt easy, it takes work. I think its hard to get yourself in a place where your eating and exercise is on track. Its hard to change a lifestyle that you probably have had for years and years. Its like an alcoholic trying to stop drinking. Try Try til you make it. I hope this all makes sense because I feel like im going a little off track and rambling, lol. Its late and im pretty tired.

Well im off to bed its already late and I just got off work and gotta go back in the AM. Night!
  • Hi everyone!

My "No excuse" plan:

2. Go to the gym at least 4 times this week. If I cant a day, ill stay longer one day. Try to stay an hour.

4. Try not to eat so much sodium, I think I have a water weight problem with that. I seem to retain water alot even when I drink alot of water.

Im going to Las Vegas soon so the more weight I lose by then the better my jeans will fit me.

I know we can all do this, its very doable and it is just ONE week. Good luck girls!!

Eny- I dont cook meals either, I think that is a big problem. I tend to eat alot of odds and ends of foods that end up being worse than eating a meal.

I agree with some of the other girls. I think we lose momentum in the middle because we expect too much and when we dont see the results we get very discouraged. Melissa is right though, 2 pds a week is ALOT in a year. It may not seem like a lot when you think you worked so hard but in the end you will be happy with what you lost.
    I also think that we get too lazy and push it off weeks at a time. Maybe things are going on and you dont really feel like thinking about "dieting". After that that you are thinking you just wasted a week or maybe 2 and you think the cycle is just gonna happen over and over again. Losing weight definatly isnt easy, it takes work. I think its hard to get yourself in a place where your eating and exercise is on track. Its hard to change a lifestyle that you probably have had for years and years. Its like an alcoholic trying to stop drinking. Try Try til you make it. I hope this all makes sense because I feel like im going a little off track and rambling, lol. Its late and im pretty tired.

Well im off to bed its already late and I just got off work and gotta go back in the AM. Night!
  • Hi everyone!

My "No excuse" plan:

• P.S. Sorry, I dont know why that posted 3 times. Its storming here and my internet has been messing up.
  • everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA, just alot of personal stuff going on then TOM came Wednesday, wrecking havoc on my WI and my emotions. I'm telling you, if I didn't have military discipline hammered into me by my mother, several people would have died horrific deaths this week! The last two days have been a pigfest. Disgusting. My friend Kittie will be arriving tomorrow for her Spring Break. This is like the worst time for her to be visiting me but we haven't seen each other in over a year. Daylight Savings Time just kicked into effect. I'm going to be SO tired tomorrow.
  • 1. Site says I need 1645 calories so going for 1300, Log everything I eat and cut back on the sugar, I've been craving this last couple of weeks, back to work so fruit and salads for lunch will help

2. Drink 2 litres of water, or flavoured sugar free dilute juice

3. 30 mins of tbl + 150 pressups and 150 situps 4 times and 45minute ab bootcamp 2 times

I think this is very doable we just have to help each other, and be strict, a week is not a long time so this should (hopefully) fly by

Enjoy
  • Heather - thanks! And you are right it is VERY doable!

Come on ladies! We are gonna kick some butt for the next 7 days!

This is IT! We have had it......

So....everyone dig out your skinny pictures.....your clothes that are too tight... and hang them where you will see them everyday.....in the bathroom...on the fridge whatever! keep those things in mind...

Try to spend AT LEAST 5 MINUTES A DAY (I know everyone of you have a spare 5 mintues somewhere)
    and reaffirm yourself.....
    #1. WHY in the world am I doing this.....is it to be healthy ...is it to live longer...is it to look better.....and then focus on that .....if it is to look better...think about this time next year...going shopping with friends for some new clothes and getting your nails and stuff done and looking HOT!

#2. Why do I keep backsliding......and is that reason more important than where I wanna be in a year? (i.e. MAN that insert food item here was sooooooo YUMMY! BUT was it worth not being thin and healthy???

REMEMBER - NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels (or so I have heard...LOL)
  • It stormed most of the night. AS I took Noelle for her morning walk I surveyed the house and yard. I have some small branches on the ground, but nothing major. Noelle discovered BIG puddles of water. She wanted to play in them!! I have a birthday party to go to this afternoon. Middle grand is now 8 years old. Like Purple said one bite of cake will set me off. I, too, must stay away from sugar and white stuff. I promise to be careful and stay committed to my goals. I bought some batteries for the digital scale, so I don't have to weigh in on the spring loaded scale YEAH!!!!! I hope everyone is having a good day. Catch ya all later Pat
  • hey guys,I have some soul searchin to do. im taking a small weeklong hiatus from the internet and documenting my weightloss. I am taking a week to focus on me and gettig back on track. I just need a change and need to mix up my plan and start a new.. i've been struggling since new years and need to do some reading and workin to get back on track. see you guys soon and good luck!!