Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 252/223/160

Height: 5'7"

Smile

This challenge is going to be very hard for me! I am like so many others in that the scale can call me to it a couple of times a day. I am going to try this but I may have to go for the once a week. I reward myself for every 5 pounds I lose with a cool bead to put on my bracelet. I am 1 pound away from another bead. I want that bead!!!! So... I will commit to once a week for right now. I agree with this philosophy though. Numbers don't and won't make you happier. Rewards can though I really feel pretty confident in my willpower right now so the scale going up or down won't effect my views of myself and my program. I know that this is truly a life change. I have never felt this good about losing weight, eating clean, and exercising. I think I am just in the right time at the right place. Of course...All of you help along with my family. I have put so much accountability in my life so that the scale is just one little part of it. I use a (paper and pen) journal to write down everything I eat and every exercise I do. I have now been on program for 5 months straight...the longest time ever!!!!! I use a pedometer every day to judge my steps and calorie burning. I have told many people at work which helps keeps me on the path. Of course...I also have my bracelet!!

I did the pushup test...mothermavis.. I too am old. I did 11 knee pushups so that put me in the middle column and level 2. I was surprised I could do that!
I have been working with resistance bands and I guess it is paying off. My arms are sore!!

Ok..sorry I got a little long. Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Last edited by Hattie22; 01-01-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #62  
Isla's mommy

Height: 5'4"

I was wondering... does anyone here do pilates? I love them & used to be able to do them without any problem... years ago. I've started again doing a 10 minute ab program on excerise on demand. Does anyone know of a good DVD? I used to have a Denise Austin that I loved but lost it somewhere along the way from Illinois to California. Since then we've moved to Texas so who knows what happened to it! I would love to be able to do a 30 - 45 minute pilates work out. There's another goal for me - to do a long pilates workout without dieing 10 minutes into it.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixmom View Post
4 knee push ups.... sheesh.... upper body strength, especially anything requiring shoulder strength I have sucked at. I am double jointed and they always want to pop outta place. Sounds horrible, but I have babied them too long. Gonna push myself gently on this one. So its Week One, Column 1 for me. Lovely...
I am with you on the Week one column 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNessa79 View Post

I need to get to the store and buy myself a journal. I want to start tracking my work outs so I can see what I've been doing a lot of & what I need to concentrate on.
A journal was the best thing I did when I started to change my life. I knew exactly what was going in and what cals were being burned. If I slacked I saw it and that way if something isn't working you can just tweak little things and see what makes a difference.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #64  
Go Team Gryphon!

S/C/G: 190/180/127

Height: 5' 1"

Thumbs up Level 3

I did 17 knee push-ups. Wow! I really didn't think I'd get that many in! So it's Week 1 Column 3 for me, kind of scary but I think it just might work!

Good luck to everyone and

Last edited by CurvyEnglishChick; 01-01-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #65  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I Am sorry ~I Think this challenge is Silly.
I Love myself(the skin I am in)~Thats the reason I quit smoking & I am now on my weight loss journey To have better health.....To take away the scale for 6 weeks will do damage to my wieght loss goals And methods & Proboly some others.
I think we need to weigh like we always have~Whether it be daily/weekly/monthly Or however works well for each individuals weight loss.
Sorry but I am not in on this one.Good Luck everyone.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #66  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Default Stuff

Lori ~ Congrats on quitting smoking! Just quit in September myself. I know its a beast to conquer and not gain too. I am also a very religious (even compulsive ) scale checker. I do have to weigh weekly as I am in other challenges, and quite frankly, I would probably have to anyway just to keep motivated. I encourage you to to stick it out with us. Initially I thought of not weighing every other time that I wanted to... (kinda like how I quit smoking.... If I had the urge, I waited 10 minutes and usually forgot about it). There are some other great mini challenges going on though too. Hope you decide to hang out and participate in those! Good Luck~

Purple / Me4Life/ Lackie thanks for the posts. I know the only way to get where I wanna be is to start where I'm at. Lets kick some push up booty.

I LOVE the reward ideas I am reading. Hattie - the 5lb bracelet bead reward is right up my alley!

I seriously think this NYNM challenge is gonna be FABULOUS!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #67  
NEVER GIVE UP

Nixmom~Thanks for being a Sweety ~I will check out other goals in future. I am part Of a 5lb challenge #42 right now On here. This challenge just isn't for me.
Oh., Almost forgot CONGRADULATIONS ON QUITTING SMOKING!!!! YOU WILL FEEL GREAT IN A FEW MORE MONTHS!(craving should totally go away soon for you!)

Last edited by Lori259; 01-01-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygirl View Post

Oh - I've discovered another big downfall of pregnancy... an aversion to ANY FOOD WITH WINGS.. and A deep uncontrollable need to eat BEEF! A month ago I ate beef maybe 2ce a MONTH... NOW IT'S ALL I WANT!!!
Eny just remember your goal of only gaining 15 pounds.....take the bad food out of the mouth....LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori259 View Post
I Am sorry ~I Think this challenge is Silly.
I Love myself(the skin I am in)~Thats the reason I quit smoking & I am now on my weight loss journey To have better health.....To take away the scale for 6 weeks will do damage to my wieght loss goals And methods & Proboly some others.
I think we need to weigh like we always have~Whether it be daily/weekly/monthly Or however works well for each individuals weight loss.
Sorry but I am not in on this one.Good Luck everyone.

1st of all congratulations on stopping smoking! I quit almost 2 years ago and it can be hard but I'm glad I did! You've done alot for yourself just with the non-smoking deal. 2nd of all - there are many many challenges on this site and there is no one challenge fits all. There is no need to say that a challenge is silly. I kinda take that personally since Eny and I thought the idea up ourselves....we actually try to put alot of thought into the challenges we do and try to mix things up a bit. No one is forcing you to compete so to tell someone that their challenge is SILLY kind of makes me feel stupid for even suggesting it. I like the whole if you don't have something nice to say maybe we shouldn't say anything at all deal. I'm sorry you feel dependant on your scale to lose weight. I think that is a shame because I bet you are a VERY STRONG woman who knows exactly what she needs to do to lose weight....you know what you can and can't eat and that you need to exercise.......the idea here is to work on those things and not worry about what the scale says....like I said there are times that I'm doing everything as good as I can do it but if the scale doesn't say what I want it to I end up quitting.....so I've decided to not depend on the scale these first 6 weeks and instead try to work on my habits....getting rid of bad ones and creating good ones to carry with me the full year. I don't need a scale for that....

Hope you find a challenge that works for you
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #69  
EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi again everyone...well just did the push-up challenge...ugh...got a whole 7 knee ones...upper body needs a lot of work I guess. Anyway I will be doing mine on Mon--Wed--and Fri, as that is when I already do my strength training.

Don't want to be doing another strength exercise on my cardio days, which are all the other ones except for Sunday. That's my rest day..

The reward box is a great idea...I guess we can save it up for six weeks...then it will be a really big treat

I have three different sizes of pants, and I am going to see if I can get down at least one size hopefully two by the time the challenge is over...I think I will take my measurements tomorrow and keep track of that also.

This is going to be great...Thanks for letting me join....and since there is already a Pat on here I will sign off .....Patricia

Last edited by tryingitagain; 01-01-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #70  
PHILLIES - WS CHAMPS!

S/C/G: H: 265/S: 263/C: 213/ G: 150

Height: 5'8

I'm another one at Level 3... I did 20 knee push ups but in my workout, I usually do push ups.

As for the scale.. I'm a scale addict but I told myself earlier that I would hang up the scale for the measuring tape. You can see progress faster with the tape instead of the scale.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #71  
I am Resilient

S/C/G: 227/ticker/160

Height: 5'10''

Melissa,

I'm really interested in your reward box idea. I searched the thread and couldn't find anything...could you post about it again? Thanks so much!!

I'm excited and nervous to start this challenge. I have an initial fitness evaluation on Monday for the start of a 8 week bootcamp class that I've enrolled in. I also have to weigh-in every week for other challenges. Regardless, I'm curious to see if I am strong enough to put the scale away...I've depended on it for so long to validate my hard work. Bout time I depend on MYSELF to validate my work, huh?

Post push-up results tomorrow!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #72  
NEVER GIVE UP

MckenziesMomma ~ sorry If I offended ya. If you can not speak what you think then why think at all?Everyone is different. This may be great for others~Who knows. I just think You should ask those willing to hide there scales What they "TRULY" think of the idea?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #73  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I went back and forth on the push-up competition. If I do full fleged bada$$ pushups...I have to start at level one...but wouldn't I be impressive doing 100 of those puppies!

Well I am a true wimp...so I'm starting on level 2 with the knee pushups. I can trow out 13 before I collapse in a quivvering heap on the floor.

100 Pushups?!? Are you sure "I" will be able to do 100 pudhups?

Lets get this party started!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #74  
Go Team Gryphon!

S/C/G: 190/180/127

Height: 5' 1"

Smile Excited for the first challenge!

I personally think the hiding the scale for 6 weeks challenge is a good one. It will force us to rethink our motives and methods for weight loss while removing the single most will-power-shattering part of any diet--the scale. Although this challenge might not be for everyone, I think it is thoughtful and related to the true goal for the G2009 Challenge: changing our selves and not just that number on the scale.

Good luck on this everyone!

And everybody!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #75  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

lori: First of all.. I LOVE the five pound challenges.. been doing them for almost a year. They helped me a lot and im sure you will have fun. Lots of good people in those threads.
Also, I just want to say that Eny and Melissa work VERY hard to create these challenges and I appreciate EVERYTHING they do. We are all very supportive, friendly and caring and this is a great place to learn and grow. If you don't want to do a certain challenge... just dont and find one that makes you happy and fullfills your needs. This isn't a place for negativity, if you dont like an idea, just tailor it to your personal needs and be here for support and to get support.. but if you dont agree at all.. there are LOADS of other challenges around this site to make you happy i'm sure. Dissing someone's ideas doesn't help anyone.

I.anyway, im just about to make my reward box right now. Im just thinking of little things that I want, like to do and throwing them in the box. Some will be little and some will be bigger... I love surprises! i can't wait to see what i haul out the next time a reach a 5 pound goal

PS: Has another ever read 'natural health' magizine? I have only read one.. but it's an amzing magazine! Getting a subscription is only 12 bucks.. and im totally putting that as one of my five pound goal rewards
Closed Thread