July 2008 Bootcamp challenge!

You're on Page 7 of 11
Go to
  • Hey girls,
    Well, I'm down a pound today, so that's nice. The concert we were supposed to go to last night was rescheduled to September; I was so bummed my husband took me out to dinner. We had Thai food, and I ate pretty light (rice bowl with tofu) but it was still more than I'm used to.

horsey-did you watch the news yesterday? Did you hear about the lion on the loose out near Calhan? Crazy! I don't know if you saw that picture they were showing, but it didn't really look like a lion to me.

Enygirl-why the slump? Did you order new dvd's? Maybe you just need to mix things up a little! NO SLACKING ALLOWED!!

lene1974-sounds like you've been busy! Good job. Sometimes it takes the inches some time to catch up to the weight loss!

Momma-You're doing great! Keep it up!

Well, I'm back on plan today, and I've got tons of homework today, but I will take a break this afternoon and walk on the treadmill for a while. My back is still being a little silly, but I'm sure I can walk with no problem.

Have a great day!
  • I did - but they haven't gotten here yet. I did do a workout of sorts last night, but not as much as I so\hould've. I think I'm going to drive out to chrch camp and see Hunter. i miss her SO much! And then I'll have lots of walking to do, and a TON of hills! Then comeback and do a "real" workout.

I'll be ok - I think that TOM impending arrival has my spirits down, and my emotions high. dumb TOM!
  • Didn't look like a lion to me either! Actually I thought about you, working out on an exercise bike or something looking out your window and YIKES. I think they were short on news! I keep getting allergies, yesterday I passed out from them again. My mom who visited informed me about my "genetics" and that allergies disabled my grandmother and that my dad had them, NICE huh? So it appears that I can't go outside in the summer (spent the day at the lake with my boy on Sun breathing weeds) according to my internet research, and if I do weeding or gardening I need a mask on my face. True, the episode after last was after I biked for an hour on the pretty bike trail near the weeds! Seems to be the last few years, and again I can blame some of this on the stress (and as always my ex husband) because there's something in the brain, linked to sensitivity to smell, that gets set off or damaged when someone goes through too much stress (divorce, death of father, etc, etc, etc I was hammered with for 2-3 years). Anyways my new MODE has to do with my mantra positive, positive, positive! Yes I sat around getting depressed for a time but I'm so done with THAT (come on girls we know no man, and especially not the one I married is worth THAT!). This am I eyed my kitchen, thought hey, I could move my kitchen table to the garage (the kid and I eat on the couch anyways), delegate the little desk there to a new place and turn my dining room into a bootcamp room! I could move the dusty exercise bike in the garage (not a good place for bootcamp), the weights in the closet to the corner and the weight bench (in the box, not put together) there too! I could then look OVER the weeds at the pretty mountains as I exercise and lose some weight this way, being careful not to ever actually go outside and touch the yard at any daytime hour. I could even buy some of those dvds with scenery of far away places I used to travel to, to watch on tv as I bike away. NOW I'm thinking that once allergy season is over (and now I'm reading there's spring, summer and fall allergies all related to various types of weeds) I might be able to go outside and enjoy exercising there again (what does this mean, 5-6 months left or what)... OR I might have to pack up, move to a faraway island where there's NO weeds.
  • horsey - sorry to hear about all you have been through lately...but I'm glad you are ready to not let it run your life and be positive and make things happy for you! Turning the kitchen into bootcamp sounds like a great idea!!! Just make sure there is still room to fix those healthy meals....If my kitchen is too dirty or cluttered I don't even want to go in there then I get so hungry I just go to McDonald's or something....so I have to keep the kitchen clean to stay on track...LOL...is that silly or what???

Sorry about the allergies...if you get bored of working out in the kitchen you can check around at local churches and other places for an indoor walking track just for a change of location
  • The dining room is off of my kitchen, I'm trying to keep my kitchen CLEAN and neat per my new flylady program and it does help, I do the same, if it's a mess I go out to eat or grab junk. I'm still waiting on a new gym with daycare to open, that'll help with my problem too, the other local gyms don't have daycare and I have my little boy (I work at home and he's not in preschool this summer). They were supposed to open a month ago! I went in there with a desperate look on my face at their open house. Mumbling something about BFL and my bootcamp programs and... Well since we don't use the dining room for dining I think I have a new workout room - and yes I'll get bored with time, but by then the gym will be open. Actually I get super bored with exercise/dieting, so this site helps too - to keep me motivated, knowing others are doing THIS too! I have some summer reads that I WAS going to do outside or at the beach with my boy but it appears outside is OUT for now, so beach reads in the kitchen on my exercise bike might keep me motivated for what, 1-2 weeks. I LOVE weight training so I do think if my weight bench was OUT and my weights were OUT I'd really be consistent. I LOVE seeing my arms get more muscular, beats the alternative, I know why Madonna went nuts for exercise about my age - and muscled up, without muscle and after babies the figure just ain't the same at 40 on it appears!
  • Sometimes its hard for me to keep up with where everyone started and where they are....

I just realized on the Girls we gotta work! Labor day challenge thread how close it is to Labor day!!

That means.....this challenge is almost over....

There is only 2 weeks and 2 days left in July!!!!

YIKES!!!!! My goal was 14 lbs....down to 241.....I'm at 246...I gotta lose 5 lbs in 2 weeks and 2 days.....AHHHHH

Gotta kick in into high gear ...its almost over and I wanna meet my goal!!

How about everyone else...how much do you like .....how are you gonna accomplish it in 2 weeks???
  • McKenziesmomma, you are doing GREAT, losing 1-2 lbs per week is healthy, more then that IS NOT.

Let's work HARD the next two weeks then it appears we'll have to do an August Challenge, ok, then a Sept Challenge as well. The key is to keep moving forward isn't it?

My main goal for the next few weeks is to NOT binge while traveling, I'm working on a master list of what to eat, snacks to take and how to exercise while on a 7-8 day business trip. And also I'm going to have stuff in the fridge when I get home, Lean Cuisine, etc so I don't binge or eat out when I return unorganized. I'm going to study these exercise bands tonight, I think I have a hotel room workout that I can do while away so the muscle I have built doesn't deteriorate away. Just one day at a time I'm trying to watch calories and do what I can. Dang allergies and other things, haven't been able to push it as hard as I would have liked to...

How's everyone else doing?
  • Horsey - Flylady is awesome!!!! My house was a wreck before then...I had no idea there were soooo many FLY babies!!!
  • Yes I'm so NOT domestic and that fly lady has whipped me into shape. I heard about her from our old housekeeper, these days I'm a single mom so can't afford someone to clean up my messes! I do think the more unorganized we are at home, the harder it is to stay on track with nutrition and other things in life. It's feng shui, frees up your mind to get rid of clutter. I'm some wacko going, I'm FREE, I'm FREE here.

I think I figured out my allergy problems, I took a variety of types of meds as I've never had them like THIS then I od'd on meds. Last round I took just one as a customer's dr told her and it worked. Anyways according to my friend it's worse this summer then ever, it's especially dry, windy but most of the worst of it will be over in Aug. My stressful business hasn't helped either. I need to STOP the STRESS! Stress is a killer. And they say cardio and exercise is just as effective as meds for depression. I'm done with my moping days, I feel so much better these days eating right and working out.

OK, OK, OK... my other thought for the night. I had the goal of fitting into a bikini again and I'm just thinking, it's NICE to aim HIGH. I"m a former athlete, in business and other things I've always striven for perfection. BUT my newest MODIFIED goal is to fit into size 10 and not even attempt to look like the fitness models in the magazines I've been obsessively reading. I've been getting mad at myself for not pushing as hard as I could but I have a lot going on - a little boy, I run a small company with deadlines and I travel for business. At least I'm kicking most bad habits, I'm learning a lot about nutrition, and when I cheat I know I am (I was clueless before about what I was doing to my body with junk). A bikini figure would be nice but for those of us in the real world - let's not set ourselves up to fail. Let's go for a healthy weight, nutrition and not just a number on the scale! And let's be realistic not perfect.
  • horsey - good for you! I think it would be nice if we all did this for the right reasons.....health and nutrition...and so we could have a few more years with our loved ones....unfortunately I haven't gotten there yet....I did start because I was starting to get scared that I was going to drop dead any second...but I have to be honest....my main motivation is the way I will look in my new body and the clothes I will be able to wear!

I'm down another pound today to 245. I'm soooo excited! I have worked hard the past two days. I'm down a total of 15 lbs, and I'm down a total of 10 lbs for July! I only have to lose 4 more pounds to meet my July goal!!
  • Being scared is motivation too... I grew up with a complete health nut ahead of the times mom. I guess I rebelled in my 20s, wanted nothing to do with this obsessiveness and slowly gained weight. Now here I am becoming HER, is that how life works? I went through a phase about obsessing about reading labels (at least now I'm semi clueless), trying to figure out what quinoa is, what type of rice/soy/and other odd name "milk" best suited me... on and on. Not sure that I started this for vanity or health or being afraid - I lost my dad to cancer two years ago. It made me THINK about life, getting older, and of course vanity stuff (not wanting to be old and wrinkled from my junk food diet).

I was over 180 last year, really worked hard to get 10 lbs off but I'm finding this last 10 or so is super hard. So I've been relaxing, worrying less about numbers and just enjoying learning (but not obsessing) about nutrition. I have a number of books listing the best products with the least calories and constantly change my grocery lists. I also read all of the fitness magazines, and the latest books that come out. At some point I started actually enjoying this, it's like a game to me, studying up on the "latest." Not sure I'm applying everything enough though.

As for vanity pounds, I REALLY do want this blob around my tummy to go away, I gain it ALL there. So I know I can't go over a certain weight - it seems to be about 160 or so for me to not have the muffin belly. People even more overweight then me can wear clothes, it's hard to disguise a belly! One thing about getting older however is what would have bugged me to death in my teens and 20s doesn't get to me "as much". I was spoiled, tall and thin always trying to gain weight (imagine that).

I'm amazed at this site, if you want inspiration just read through the success stories. Many women have lost over 100 lbs, everyone seems to have figured out what works for them, different diets, ideas, exercise routines... for someone obsessive it's a great source of information. This weight loss thing takes so much dedication it's unbelievable. Even 15 lbs, you are ON YOUR WAY. And yes you'll be amazed at the health benefits as you learn more about nutrition. Plus the side vanity benefits - clear skin, nice nails, thicker hair, etc. I dont' know if I'll ever "glow" with health like my mom having trashed my body with junk food so many years but there is a difference.
  • My motivation (thanks horsey!) is to be healthy. I have ALWAYS been overweight, and actually obese since I was a child. the lowest my weight has been is #145 when I was 15!!! My highest was January 25, 2006 - at #241!

Now I'm working REALLY hard to learn how food and exercise effect me - what works for me, what doesn't...etc. I really enjoy walking, and Tae Bo - I LOVE yoga but not the fast pace ones. I like relaxing into poses and really feeling how every position effects my mind and body.

I'm #3.3 away from my July goal - which will put me 1/2 way to my ULTIMATE goal. that's a feat in itself to me. Sure I've fallen off, I've gained weight back - done the roller coaster thing - but I've found that counting calories is the best for me. If I can have a visual number of what I've put into my body, and a visual of how much I've burned it helps me a TON. Part of it is the OCD in me... everything has to line up correctly. Right now I'm trying to burn 800 cals more a day then I intake. It gives me a #1.6 loss a week (approx) - this is really hard on days that I don't feel like exercising - or when I over eat. But keep in mind 60%-70% of your cal intake is burnt just by working, breathing, etc. so as long as I keep exercising and burning whatever is left I'm good. I've been on plan with this for 6 days in a row again, and day 7 is looking good. I don't limit what I can eat, just how much. I stay between 1200-1500 calories a day - and that's what works for me.

Vanity wise - mine isn't a certain area on me - mine is that I want to be smaller then my little sister. Right now I weigh less then her, but she's 4 inches taller. She's in a size 12, and I'm a 14/16. That's my vanity goal right now - my next one is to be a size 8. I've NEVER worn single digit clothing in my life! My area though is my "spare tire" I carry a lot of weight in my lower stomach/hips area - and it's gross! When I was at my heaviest it actually folded over! EWWW! (sorry if TMI) now it still does some, but not nearly as much. That's the biggest area I'm working on! Reverse crunches HERE I COME!
  • Eny - the 30 day shred has some good ab moves on it...its a 20 min workout and it does 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs (3 times in a row...) plus the warm up and cool down...I can tell a big difference in my stomach in the week and 1/2 I have been doing it....I can tell a big difference in my arms...I mean yeah I'm still fat...but they already feel toned up and tighter....a little less jiggly...maybe its wishful thinking...also on this DVD there are 3 different levels of difficulty that you progress to on your own....

I'm with you there on the stomach thing though...mine folds over right now..and yes it is gross...yuck...my poor husband....but next year he will be my lucky husband...LOL
  • My motivation in the beginning was for my kids. I didn't feel comfortable taking my kids to the pool, because I felt so embarrassed with how I looked. Plus there was no reason for it. I don't have a bad back, thyroid problems, or any other medical condition to stop me from exercising and taking care of myself. I decided going up any higher then a 14 was not an option. I had to squeeze into everything or wear my DH's clothes. I am now a size 10. I'm so proud to be able to say that. I made the decision to make changes in my eating and exercise (or lack of) and I stuck with it. I would love to be a size 8 but I'm enjoying where I'm at now too. Yesterday, I had done my hair, make-up, and wore a cute outfit and jewelry. (Wanting to go all out like that is easier when you actually fit into your clothes comfortably.) I had 2 co-workers comment on how good looking I was. I love that! It had been ages since someone besides my Mother told me I was beautiful or pretty, let alone "hot" and that I looked "amazing". I'm not a vain person but it felt so good to hear. My Dh is a wonderful man but he never gives compliments. So to my point ~what started out as the desire to be a more active participant in my children's interest has now turned into the desire to be an active, healthy and attractive woman for myself. Hopefully that didn't come off as self absorbed.

Wow a little over 2 weeks left. I would like to lose 4 more lbs. and then I will have hit my 8lb. goal for this boot camp. Let's really push ourselves this last 2 weeks. We can do this!
  • Guess we are all self absorbed in a way in our journey to fitness/weight loss, but it's good selfishness. It seems to take A LOT of concentration and time, but the payoffs will be not just for us but our families, coworkers, everyone. In BFL they say those of us who push, lose the weight and get fit will be role models for others to do the same. Part of the program is to encourage others in their quests, and in doing that it reciprocates back to us. Like Karma I guess. Personally I think the better we feel, even about our shallow looks, the more confident and successful we are in everything. Already just getting healthy I walk differently, has anyone else noticed that (partially I think it's my weight training/increase in muscle)? I carry myself taller, and just feel in general more positive (other then my pms/whining spurts).

Ok, two weeks to go in July. It looks like I'll be traveling in late July for business still, so since I started the last two bootcamps and I'm behind everyone else on losing - can someone else start the Aug bootcamp and create the "rules" for it? GOOD NEWS for me, in Aug I don't have to travel a week for business as I've had to in both June and July, I have the ENTIRE month to focus on this. Plus the new local gym will be open by then as well... I reset my goals to three months with my BFL program so I have about 2 months to go to meet my goals and I REALLY want to...