3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   The "this is the last time I'll ever get a chance to eat that so I'd better make (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/91657-last-time-ill-ever-get-chance-eat-so-id-better-make.html)

kateful 08-16-2006 02:48 PM

The "this is the last time I'll ever get a chance to eat that so I'd better make

myself sick on it" syndrome---Where does that come from? :mad:

HarpoChicoGroucho 08-16-2006 02:51 PM

I have NO idea - but that is exactly the mentality that caused me to gain 20 pounds BEFORE I finally buckled down and started my journey. I had 6 months of farewell binges. And it's been over a year and I'm still having them.

kateful 08-16-2006 02:58 PM

We had a big meeting today where they serve lunch. I had the dessert. When everyone left and there were still servings on the table, I snuck another one. I started hoarking it all the while knowing that I was being irrational. I've put it aside just to show myself that it'll still be there later. In fact, if I really wanted this thing, I could go to walmart and buy one. If I wanted a giant one, I could go to Sam's and get one. They have been made for hundreds of years and will continue to be made and easily accessible. Even if I couldn't get a premade one, the ingredients are common ingredients. I have an oven. If I really wanted one and couldn't buy it in a package, I could make one myself.

XenaGlamRocker 08-16-2006 03:24 PM

Oh God I have this mentality aswell....it's so stupid really. Rationally I know that if I just stick to my diet it won't hurt to have a little bit of something nice every now and then, and it's a lot better than gorging myself stupid on it in a "farewell eat", but I can't seem to help it.

purplepansy912 08-16-2006 04:36 PM

I too gained weight with this mentality... all or nothing.. not a good way to be

fiddler 08-17-2006 04:41 PM

I had that mentality from childhood. It started out being somewhat rational because we often DIDN'T have much food when I was a child and going on public assistance wasn't an option. I can remember many days when we ate fried egg and ketchup sandwiches because we just couldn't afford anything else.

So in my adult life, I don't handle deprivation particularly well. That's one of the main reasons that structured diets don't work for me. However, if I keep an overabundance of food in the house, so that I know it's there if I really want it, then I can handle it OK.

c_laura 08-20-2006 01:00 PM

I have that mentality as well. In fact its why I fail at diets so often. To start I'll give myself a binge day (week, month) before I start to "get it out of my system" and then if I fumble on the diet I won't say oh well, I'll do better at the next meal, I think well I've already messed up I may as well keep going downhill and start again tomorrow.
I'd love to say I've worked my way around it but I haven't. I think in my case it comes from seeing food as a comfort or stress relief. On a diet I don't have that relief and so the binging right before is me attempting to hoard/store up that comfort level. Of course all it really does is give me a stomach ache and poor self image, but I think each person's reasons are different.

Cholie 08-20-2006 01:11 PM

Does that nutrisystem really work? I am very interested in it, But I dont want to risk doing it because it is expensive, and what if I dont get results?

_knot 08-20-2006 02:36 PM

that's a HUGE problem of mine. as soon as i decide to start to eat healthy, i try to commit to make the first day TODAY, and the first moment RIGHT NOW, rather than deciding to "simplify" things by waiting for a new day. instead of a "farewell binge" have a hello glass of water :drinkup:

farewell bingeing is just deceiving yourself--if it actually WERE farewell bingeing, there wouldn't be a problem.

Sakai 08-20-2006 11:31 PM

OMG... I have this problem every dang day >_<... I swear that I'll start eating better tomorrow/next monday/next week. So it'll be okay to have that rootbear float -_-...

I'm so weak

ms.cate 08-21-2006 01:45 AM

farewell bingeing is just deceiving yourself--if it actually WERE farewell bingeing, there wouldn't be a problem.

I have been binge free for 12 days. I stick to a structured food program and dont let myself pick up no matter what. And I go and drink water or herbal tea.There's been a packet of popcorn in the staff kitchen open over the weekend and my hand still automatically went for it. I tipped the lot in the outside bin.

_knot 08-21-2006 01:07 PM

Cate, that's awesome, 12 days! congratulations! keep it up.

the most i've ever done is 4 days, but i'm starting again RIGHT NOW :)

ms.cate 08-23-2006 02:28 AM

thanks heaps! I make it to 14 days at the end of today. I'd like to treat myself, but i'm scared i wont be able to stop eating.

_knot 08-23-2006 09:05 AM

you know, that's exactly what my worry was. i wanted to make a ticker for days binge free, but i was afraid that setting an end goal would make me reward myself at that end, and that would spiral into bad things...:(

i made the ticker anyway :p, but i just don't know...

lilybelle 08-23-2006 09:14 AM

A little over a year ago I had an upcoming Dr.'s appt where I knew he was going to make me go on a diet. For weeks before this appointment, I ate everything I could find with no regards to calories, fat or carbs. I felt I had to just get it out of my system. Boy, did he give me a chewing out over my weight. I left his office, crying. We stopped for lunch on the way home. I had a salad and have never looked back. That's what it took for me to come to the ugly realization that I was going to have to try to improve my health through diet and exercise. Sure, there are times when I still long for that uncontrolled eating but I don't long for the body that I once had.