3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Bottomless Pit? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/78606-bottomless-pit.html)

illinichick 03-11-2006 12:13 PM

Bottomless Pit?

ARGH! I am hungry again...

What is wrong with me that I am always hungry? I can eat and eat and feel stuffed, and then 30 minutes later... hungry again!

Does anyone else feel like a bottomless pit that just can't quit?
And it seems like everytime I decided to recommit to my diet plans, it gets worse?

Very sad

Less of Lena 03-11-2006 12:56 PM

Have you taken a look at what it is you're eating? Fiber? Protein? Sugary stuff? Some foods have more *staying power* than others.

And are you head-hungry or belly-hungry? Sometimes, I've found, head-hungry feels just as compelling, maybe even moreso, but when I really think about it, I'm not really belly-hungry.

Also, try more water. I know, I know, it's not as sexy as real, chompable food, but sometimes it can fill up that empty spot.

Oh, and gum! Sometimes, I'm not hungry but just want something for the mouth to work on. Sugarless gum (5 cal/stick) can help that.

Just a couple of ideas.

dalai_lala 03-11-2006 04:47 PM

It's getting better now, but some days... yeah... It's hard to trust my own hunger feelings though. I've heard it described as an "eat watch," and for anyone who's an overeater, our eat watches are broken. For me, anything less than what I call "stuffed stupid" equals "hungry." In other words, you have to start to think really hard about exactly how your stomach feels and begin to learn. Am I hungry, or am I just NOT FULL? Once I realized that there was a difference, it started to become less miserable.

When you do eat, eat very slowly. Take a bite, put your fork down. Wait until you have swallowed, take a drink of water, then take the next bite. Rinse and repeat. After you have eaten about a quarter of what you have, pause for a second (put your hands on your tummy) and think about how your stomach feels. Then eat a little more, until you're about half done, then pause again. Just before you finish, leave a little bit of everything on the plate and pause again. How do you feel? Are you really still hungry, or are you just not stuffed? You can finish the plate if you want to, but stop if you think you can.

At first you won't be able to tell. "Not stuffed" equals "hungry." But after a little while... you can feel it. You can just somehow feel... different. It feels weird, and after a while you can identify it as "full." And you'll be able to stop there. You won't like it at first, you'll insist that it just feels wrong, but eventually you get used to it and you learn what "full" and "hungry" feel like.
It takes time, a long time, but it's worthwhile. Sometimes I still screw up, but I have to keep up the fight, right?

Good luck!

-Lala

dac328 03-11-2006 05:40 PM

Hi, guys! I know what you mean about having a bottomless pit. There have been days that it feels like I don't even have a stomach. I could just eat and eat and eat. I miserable at the moment. Went out to lunch with hubby and daughters and overate Italian food. My husband is an elite athlete and you would think being around him I would have more dedication, but I don't and I've gained over 50 pounds in eight years and hate it.

I need to commit to working out more. The problem is if I don't get up early, like between 4:45 and 5 a.m. and get ready and go walking, I'll make up every excuse under the sun not to do it throughout the day. I'm just too busy, or this or that. But for me the statement, "You feel better and eat less when you're more active" certainly applies to me.

I know what needs to be done. I just need to commit myself to do it.

Thanks, Debbie, Southern California

HarpoChicoGroucho 03-11-2006 06:50 PM

I've noticed the faster I gulp my food down, the quicker I get hungrier a short time later. I know this is impossible and that's exactly what I tell myself. I demolished a healthy choice meal today at lunch (probably under 2 minutes) and was immediately striken with what felt like hunger pangs as soon as I washed my fork. Of course, like dalai lala mentioned, the meal didn't "stuff" me, so my brain was trying to trick me, because it enjoys whatever chemicals are released when I do overeat to over-fullness.

Take dalai lala's advice and eat slowly. If you eat sugary foods, they are absorbed and expended rapidly, and they may cause REAL hunger. So definitely stay away from starchy, processed, sugary, empty calorie foods. Protein rich food, fiber, and the good carbohydrates (whole grains, brown rice, vegetables) are slow digesting and can stave off the physical hunger, but it probably won't help with the psychological hunger.

Misti in Seattle 03-11-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarpoChicoGroucho
I've noticed the faster I gulp my food down, the quicker I get hungrier a short time later. I know this is impossible and that's exactly what I tell myself.

I don't think it is impossible at all! I am amazed when I see people eat and most take huge bites of food and gulp it down. I am learning to eat tiny bites and savor them... and sometimes I even get tired of eating before my meal is over and I don't WANT more, nor do I get hungrier later on. I think properly eating smaller bites and chewing our food, etc., actually IS more satisfying both short and long term.

HarpoChicoGroucho 03-12-2006 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dance4joy
I don't think it is impossible at all! I am amazed when I see people eat and most take huge bites of food and gulp it down. I am learning to eat tiny bites and savor them... and sometimes I even get tired of eating before my meal is over and I don't WANT more, nor do I get hungrier later on. I think properly eating smaller bites and chewing our food, etc., actually IS more satisfying both short and long term.

I think you misunderstood me, dance4joy (I don't blame you, it was poorly worded). I meant that it's impossible for my stomach to completely empty 2 minutes after eating a meal. I know those "hunger" pangs I feel are psychological. I agree with you too that chewing small bites slowly is better is more satisfying, and of course, our brains have time to register our level of fullness, unlike when we gulp our food down. It's a bad habit of mine, because of my bingeing habits; I continue even to eat my healthy meals like I'm trying to break a speed record. I should work on that.

illinichick 03-12-2006 09:30 PM

I feel like I could write a book about overeating, but I wouldn't be able to follow my own advice. I eat too much whether I eat fast or slow... but I can go longer between meals when I eat slower... I'm sad. Just ate some really delicious cake and then left before I could eat any more ( I know I could/would have). I've tricked myself into thinking " I want this so it'll be better if I just eat it before it becomes a full blown desperate craving." But this has taken over my life, and I've just started eating like a wildabeest all the time... and it doesn't help that I live four blocks from every kind of food you could imagine. I'd move, but I really love my place... If I could only be a shoe-addict instead... I'd have a huge credit card bill, but smaller hips ;)

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Misti in Seattle 03-12-2006 11:20 PM

Hi Amanda

I have found exactly the opposite to be true. When I do give in to the cravings, they become worse and I want more and more. When I don't give in, after a while it becomes easier and easier... to where most of the junky stuff does not even appeal to me. I don't allow myself to think of it as positive or a "treat" -- and I find there are sooooooo many wonderful things I CAN eat and enjoy!

illinichick 03-12-2006 11:48 PM

Oh no... the giving in doesn't ease the craving... sometimes it results in my wanting certain foods over and over again for a few days... but I get to the point where I get sick of that, but still want the volume of food, it just has to switch to something different.

Misti in Seattle 03-13-2006 01:56 AM

But the giving in keeps up the HABIT of giving in rather than building the discipline of NOT giving in. But just my opinion LOL

ellis 03-13-2006 08:24 AM

Amanda, I'm so sorry you're having a rough time, hon. :( I know just what you're going through. It's such a terribly addictive habit... like gambling or something.
Lots of great advice from the girls here. :yes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dance4joy
But the giving in keeps up the HABIT of giving in rather than building the discipline of NOT giving in.

I think what Dance said is a key. I have a problem (one of many. heh heh) with remembering bad things that have happened to me. Things that I'm unable to change... stuff that I really need to just put behind me and move on from, you know?
ie I was once rude to a stranger on the street (this was like, 20 years ago, and I still remember it clearly), and I felt TERRIBLE about it afterwards, but of course, wasn't able to go back to apologize. For many years I dredged up that memory and rehashed it over and over and over. Instead of forgiving myself (and praying that the stranger had forgiven me!) and moving on.
I learned something last year in the psych ward which has helped enormously. "Give yourself permission to put the bad thought aside for now, and tell yourself you can think about it later if you want to."
It takes practice, but it really does work, and I think stuff like that can be used in other circumstances. Like eating. Give yourself permission to think about food later. Like, "I have a lot of important things to do right now, and don't have time to binge, but I'll think about it in two hours time when I'm not so busy. And maybe I'll plan ahead what I'm going to eat."
I know that probably sounds ridiculously simplistic, but it really does work with practice.
You could even set a timer for when your allowed "binge time" is to take place. I think it's all about being mindful of what we're doing. Because when we're binging, we are SO not mindful.
I'm just imaging the timer going off... eventually, we'd start to think, "How stupid is THAT!? I'm supposed to binge NOW!? FORGET IT!!" :lol3:
Big hugs, sweetie... hang in there... we're all with you. :hug:

Misti in Seattle 03-13-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellis
I learned something last year in the psych ward which has helped enormously. "Give yourself permission to put the bad thought aside for now, and tell yourself you can think about it later if you want to."
It takes practice, but it really does work, and I think stuff like that can be used in other circumstances. Like eating. Give yourself permission to think about food later.

Yes! I think that is a very good thought! I am going through a really difficult circumstance right now that in the past would have caused me to binge eat. Even with that I don't think about it most of the time and just try to keep going... there are times in the evening when I allow myself to give in to the emotion of it. The same does work for eating... a LOT of it is mental and emotional! That's one reason I never "reward" myself for good behavior with food... I do NOT want to think of food as a treat or as unhealthy food as something to be desired or longed for. I focus on what it DOES to me and learn not to give in to the cravings.

It is NOT always easy... LOL last night at the potluck I was of course skipping dessert... all around me people were eating chocolate junk and all kinds of other stuff which I have learned to resist. But I looked over and next to me was a woman eating a... GASP... LEMON BAR! I LOVE lemon bars LOL. The thought went through my mind oh go ahead, one won't hurt you... and it wouldn't have... except I would have been giving IN, and next time giving in would get easier! NO! And LOL the teenage girl next to me was thin as a rail and I think she ate 5 plates full of stuff LOL but I could have done it at that age too!! :)

Just gotta say no no no -- BUT rather than focus on the no no no... remember and think that you are actually saying YES YES YES to eating right and losing weight... and better health!!!

illinichick 03-13-2006 11:22 PM

I think if I could just get better at keeping "busy" it would be easier not to binge. Unfortunately, I'm usually so mentally drained when I leave work that I come home and am just lethargic and have about enough energy to grab something to eat and sit on my couch :( and watch Jeopardy...

I've tried to change my workout time to right after work, but I don't put 100% in unless I wait for a couple of hours... I need a new habit, but unfortunately I don't stay interested in projects long enough to see results (which is why I'm still trying to lose weight...) I also tend to put things off if they seem too challenging... like they're easier later!?!?

PROCRASTINATION IS MY WORST ENEMY!

Misti in Seattle 03-14-2006 12:39 AM

Believe me, Amanda, I understand! That is hard for me too as I leave for work so early and have a long commute. When I come home it is soooooo easy to crash. But I do a lot of my walking on my breaks and lunch hour so that helps. Maybe you could start with just a short walk... say even 15 minutes or so... in the evening so you don't overwhelm yourself timewise but are still getting out there and moving.