Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #1  

Default My son eats so differently from the way I do

This was so cute, I just wanted to share it.

My son is two and a half years old. He doesn't talk very much yet as he hasn't heard properly until a couple of months ago (long story). He was operated on, tubes were inserted and he's just now beginning to say words, but he has always communicated extraordinarily well without them.

My son is very well-loved in our household. He is shown love all the time. He's my little man. Tonight he did something that was so the opposite of what I would do. When it comes to "my" food, I'm incredibly protective of it. If I want to have something later (say, on a binge) I'll actually hide it in the back of the fridge or even in the drawer of the desk that my computer sits on. I eat hunched over my bowl (if I'm even using a bowl--eating an entire bag of chips doesn't actually require a bowl).

Well...tonight my DH brought out the chips and started munching and Colin was "asking" for some (in his own way, with his very expressive face and his sounds) so DH gave Colin a few chips, one at a time. Well, apparently Colin eventually got full but he asked for more chips anyway...and what did he do? He brought them to me! Chip by chip, he asked my DH for just one, then brought it over to me and pushed it toward my mouth. He was so careful, too, about being sure that I actually ate each chip. I smiled at one point and hadn't started chewing yet and he stood there patiently, watching my mouth until I chewed. When he saw that I was chewing he was satisfied and he wandered off again.

He is the sweetest boy on earth. I don't know why he did this tonight. He probably ended up giving me 8 or 9 pieces of chips (DH gives them to him in pieces so he won't choke). He was SO serious about making sure I ate. This is odd because it isn't like I never eat! I eat all the time. I'm not about to waste away into a windblown waif. (If anything, it looks like I just ATE a windblown waif. Or two.) So I don't know why my son did this, unless it's just because he and his father were both eating and he, the compassionate boy that he is, noticed that I wasn't getting any? Could that be it? I wasn't making any indications that I wanted any. Actually, I was sitting and reading a book.

He is the sweetest boy in the world and he's so generous. I'm so proud of him.
MyThreeTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #2  

p.s. This is my sweet angel.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #3  

oh my gosh, what a sweet story! i wish i could say my daughter does the same for me, but... well... she doesn't. she asks for food so she can go feed the dog! LOL... i guess i know where i stand! she tried the cat first, because she adores the cat...but did you ever try feeding a cat oatmeal with your hands? it didn't go over very well!

but my goodness, your little guy is so adorable! what a cutie!

kindly,
susan
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

That's precious... and what a lovely little boy.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaley
oh my gosh, what a sweet story! i wish i could say my daughter does the same for me, but... well... she doesn't. she asks for food so she can go feed the dog!

kindly,
susan
My first son used to do that too. He would get so offended that the cat didn't like Gummy Bears.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #6  

Thanks, Ellis. He's my joy. He's extremely affectionate. He kisses everyone--lately, if another kid at playgroup does something nice for him, like shares a toy, he'll kiss them!! He's a good boy.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

He is so adorable! I love the story, my daughter (also 2 1/2) feeds me all the time, but she never sticks around to see if I chewed the food. Most of the time she is trying to shove more in before I am finished.
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #8  

Your son is adorable!

I have 2 DD! the oldest(9) is more selfish (i am not being nasty, but she would only think of herself! and even the dog would get none!)

the youngest. 6y.o. (aspergers syndrome) will always ask me! she will offer me the food off her plate! and if i say yes, she is so happy that she has done something for her mum! if she is given something from someone else, she is always asking if i want some! It breaks my heart sometimes! why did such and angel end up having such a hard life! SIGH! i even had a special teacher at school pull me up today, (i am trying desperately to get my DD more help with school) and she said honestly "you know i how much i love that girl, i would do anything to try and help her! " and now that teacher is approaching the school and the goverment to see that she gets the extra help she needs..

Sometimes some children are sooooo special!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you tooo have an angel!!!!!!!!!!!
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon6669
why did such and angel end up having such a hard life! SIGH! i even had a special teacher at school pull me up today, (i am trying desperately to get my DD more help with school) and she said honestly "you know i how much i love that girl, i would do anything to try and help her! "
Icedragon, what a blessing that woman is. I'll be saying prayers for you and your daughter and family...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #10  

((Icedragon)) I'm thinking of you too. Your daughter has a much less harder life than it could have been, because she has you for a mom. She sounds like an absolute angel and someone anyone would want to know.