Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:40 PM   #1  

Question

I posted this earlier on "Diet Plans" but have not received any response so I thought I would post here also.

Hypnosis, anyone tried it?

Has anyone had success with hypnosis?
If so, did you go to a hypnosis center?
What about hypnotic tapes?
Anyone tried self hypnosis?

I'm at my wits end. Something has got to work for me for the long haul. I'm tired of this constant yo-yoing I'm doing. I lose 30 lbs then gain 50 lbs back and so on ... I can't seem to stop this crazy cycle. I now have at least 90 lbs to lose! I know how unhealthy this pattern is. I have tried every diet under the sun and exercise, weight lifting, walking, etc. I always lose weight, feel & look so much better and then I go back to my old bad habits and gorge everything in sight.

I think hypnosis would work for me, but I would like to know first hand from someone that has actually tried it.

I would appreciate any help.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:10 AM   #2  

I tried hypnosis and had the audio tapes, but I found that it didn't work for me. I have found that between getting more educated about my eating disorder and finding support here I have received the most help. I didn't know about binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating. I would highly recommend reading some of the recommended books and visiting some of the websites that have been posted in earlier posts (archives!) I don't know how to bring those posts forward so someone more savvy than I am could possibly do that for the newcomers. This board is really about getting in touch with the concept of having an eating disorder, so you will find that most people are not advocating the dieting concept. That is directly oppositional to getting healthy. The more you diet, the more you gain. It is a proven fact. So its recommended that weights, sizes and dieting are not really appropriate here because in the past we have found that they can be triggers for some of us. Demand feeding also advocates becoming more personnally happy and less focused on a number on the scale. Get rid of the scale!!! Its hard and its a fight every day, but I would never go back to measuring, weighing, exchanges, etc. I found it to be a trap.
Welcome to this site and hopefully someone can raise those old posts for you.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:34 AM   #3  

Hello just amy,
I agree with fullhouse. You can lose weight over and over but you will gain it back unless you find out why you overeat. I'm not sure what books she's referring to, but I'll search this site and if i find them will pull them up for you.

As far as hypnosis goes, my dad did it and I thought it was ridiculous. He did lose weight BUT, he gained every single lb and more back. He went to a center and was hypnotized weekly , but he also had to buy their shakes and meals. Some days he was only aloud 700 cals a day....no wonder he lossed!
I think the tapes could be good. Instead of finding one for weight loss you should try one on self confidence or personal success. These will help you lose AND keep it off!

Good luck to you! You can do this!

Rachel
Old 04-25-2001, 10:01 AM   #4  

Hi again. I found these books after searching and decided to list them instead of pulling up every post.

"Losing It" by Laura Frasier
"Life Stategies" by Dr. Phil McGraw
"Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating" by Geneen Roth
"Seven Secrets of Slim People" ?
"Love, Hunger and Recovery from Food Addiction" by Dr. Minirth and Dr.Meier

I haven't read any of these myself, but I probably should!
Hope this helps
Old 04-25-2001, 12:56 PM   #5  

fullhouse, icandoit,

Thank you so much for all the great information. I really appreciate all the help you have both been. I will definitely see about finding and reading these books.

Thanks again,
amy
Old 04-25-2001, 01:38 PM   #6  

fullhouse, icandoit:

Just wanted to let you know that I found and have started reading "Feeding The Hungry Heart" and "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating" both by Genee Roth.

Thanks a million!
amy
Old 04-26-2001, 08:14 AM   #7  

Just Amy,
I saw what icandoit posted and I tried to go back to last summer when we had several websites and books listed but they purged the old posts when we changed servers.
Anything by Geneen Roth, you have the two best books now though.
Overcoming Overeating - Hirschmann and ??

some websites:
somethingfishy.com
overcomingovereating.com

if you enter binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating as part of the address, you will find many sites.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:11 PM   #8  

fullhouse, icandoit,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I can't find the words to let you know how grateful I am to you both. You've gave me back my life!!! Thank you 3FC's for this Board!

"Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating" by Genee Roth, is a MUST READ for EVERYONE!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...083999-4421729

When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I was up till 4:00am! I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders! I feel like a new person! This book has opened my eyes and made me realize and understand so much.

EVERYONE needs to read "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating", whether you are a compulsive eater or not. This book will change your life!

Thanks again,
Amy

Last edited by Just Amy; 04-27-2001 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:41 PM   #9  

Wow, Amy, that's great! I'm so glad the book is helping you! I will definitly pick it up! Please let us know how you're doing. Come join us at the "I Will beat this" thread. We are all in the same "boat" with this over eating thing, even if we don't have the same disorder!
Take care!
Hurray for you!
Rachel
Old 04-30-2001, 10:52 AM   #10  

Just Amy,
It feels so good when it begins to make sense in your head. I remember when I unsuccessfully dieted how I felt I was so weak-willed and just needed to eat less. After reading about how diets make you gain weight, you can see that there really is more to it than just that "simple" explanation.
I wish you continued good luck and be prepared for a LONG road with hills and valleys. Please keep posting for support, I've always found it here!
Closed Thread