Hungry All the Time (Not Just When Dietting) - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #1  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Default Hungry All the Time (Not Just When Dietting)

Hey everyone!

Last year I lost over 60 pounds and was a frequent contributor to this group. The loss stalled out in December and I switched my focus to exercise (mostly running). I was able to maintain for a while, but my weight started inching up, then skyrocketting up. I have now regained 30 pounds.

The reason? I'm always hungry. Always always always. I just had a yogurt and fiber one for breakfast 30 minutes ago and my tummy is already growling.

This is not emotional eating. If anything, it feels like my body has decided it needs to get back to 233 pounds as fast as possible.

I have been trying desperately to stop the starvation feelings for months and nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas?
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Are you on any sort of medication? Change in medication? Change in what types of food you're eating?
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #3  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

No change in medication. Food has changed ... but as a result of being hungry. I could eat the way I did when I was dieting easily ... it's just that my body is demanding all sorts of high calorie stuff ... and I cave, which of course makes the cravings worse.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi tefrey,
That sounds so frustrating! I think you are on the right track, ie, your body is probably reacting to the earlier calorie restriction. There are a lot of different viewpoints about this phenomenon, which is all too common among us dieters. Here are some suggestions fwiw, based on what i experienced after phasing off low cal/low carb/low fat:
1)For the moment, just try to hold the line with your weight while you figure things out. Avoid trying to white knuckle it and re-lose the weight--just for the moment.
2) Feed yourself with whole foods that you like. There is a website that helps to figure out your caloric needs or TDEE (I think that's total daily energy expenditure).

Are you by any chance undereating, then overeating in response to that and then frantically trying to get back"in control" and make up for it by undereating again? This was me for much of the past year. Once I looked at my TDEE, I realized I was undereating, even in maintenance. It freaked me out to eat 1300-1500 cal/day (and still does). But I no longer have the overwhelming urge to binge and eat calorie dense junk food lately.

As someone who is almost always hungry 24/7 both before and after dieting, I find that lower carb works best--for me that 40-70g. Protein is most effective for stemming hunger, for me, and I make sure to get in some healthy fats. I avoid nuts though, because it's too hard to control the amount.

If you feel like posting your weight loss WOE and afterward WOE, maybe we can add some suggestions.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefrey View Post
This is not emotional eating. If anything, it feels like my body has decided it needs to get back to 233 pounds as fast as possible.
This exact thing is happening to me right now!

You may think this is not emotional eating but it is, in a certain way. Unless there is a health or medication issue there is no reason that your body would suddenly decide that it needs to get back up to 233 asap without a good reason. Chances are that the diet that "worked" was a little restrictive. Maybe you suppressed your hunger often, maybe you constantly chose "good" foods over the foods you really wanted to eat, maybe you deprived yourself of too many things, maybe you relied a lot on will power to get you through that diet. The problem with diets is that they work - they'll get the weight off. But they also don't keep the weight off, restriction never does. You're in the throws of a yoyo right now. Being on a diet means tuning out your body's needs. If you deny your body what it asks of you for too long it starts to rebel, hence the perceived decision that it needs to gain the weight back asap.

With intuitive eating I've learned that all the restricting I was doing over the years is what really contributed to my weight gain, just in the way you describe. So now I spend my time repairing my body image, maintaining a neutral relationship with food (no more good food vs. bad food), and building a better communication with my body's natural hunger signals. In diet-terms this means that I eat anything I want, whenever I want it. But I only eat when I'm hungry, stop when I' full, and I am satisfied with small portions.

I've managed to lose 19lbs since Feb this way. Sometimes stress, anxiety and pressure can build and I can start to fall into old binge patterns again. I avoided the scale for 6wks and when I got back on recently I saw that I had lost 9lbs! Well that made me really nervous and anxious to keep it off and keep losing and all that pressure and stress made me start binging! It's like you say, it's a weird sense that my body wants to gain those 9lbs back as soon as possible! That's emotional my friend, it's not real hunger.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

Here is a link to a TDEE calculator.
http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

If 3FC deletes external link, you can google TDEE. I like the fat 2 fit website--very use friendly. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #7  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

You guys are absolutely right! I was restricting my calories too much. But that's why I took a break in December ... I thought if I switched to maintenance I could reset. But over time the cravings have gotten worse, not better. I thought maybe I was overexercising, but easing back on the exercise didn't help either.

I have done this before (most dieters have I think) and I struggle and regain until I can find a shock to the system big enough to make me start losing again. Last time it was a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. I don't want to have to get back to my old weight or more before I regain control. I want control NOW.

So I've always relied on something big and sudden to launch weight loss. When I try to be more casual, I seem to lose focus after one meal. So clearly, I'm not doing something right. I thought it was a lack of will power, but maybe I'm trying to be too restrictive.

The diet that has worked best for me is the iDiet ... it's balanced so nothing is completely off limits. I start off good, following it to the letter, then I start cutting out more and more calories.

mars735: According to the calculator, I need to be eating 1500-1600 calories ... and possibly up to 2000 based on the exercise I am doing. Yowza!

WannaBeSkinny: I've heard about Intuitive Eating but I don't know how to go about it. Where do you suggest I go to learn more?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
I have done this before (most dieters have I think) and I struggle and regain until I can find a shock to the system big enough to make me start losing again. Last time it was a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. I don't want to have to get back to my old weight or more before I regain control. I want control NOW.

So I've always relied on something big and sudden to launch weight loss. When I try to be more casual, I seem to lose focus after one meal. So clearly, I'm not doing something right. I thought it was a lack of will power, but maybe I'm trying to be too restrictive.

The diet that has worked best for me is the iDiet ... it's balanced so nothing is completely off limits. I start off good, following it to the letter, then I start cutting out more and more calories.

mars735: According to the calculator, I need to be eating 1500-1600 calories ... and possibly up to 2000 based on the exercise I am doing. Yowza!
I think you have control--you had to to have lost the weight. I'm like you with the diet approach in that I need some structure, and maybe you do too. just try to keep in mind that your method needs to keep you fed well enough to avoid this phenomenon of bingeing--some call it the Famine Reaction and there are other names for it. It's probably a neuro/hormonal mediated survival response to perceived starvation.

Isn't that TDEE eye-opening? I'm still playing around with it to figure out where I fit. Right now, I'm gonna guess that your body and hunger will tell you if you are on the too low side, so maybe pick a middle ground and work from there. If you can hold the line at your current weight, things will stabilize and then you can take it down again. Remember that losing just 10% of your weight gives a big health benefit in terms of diabetes and hypertension--you've accomplished that so maybe you don't have to feel the over riding urgency to lose as fast as possible.

Just know you are experiencing something apparently hard-wired into our brains, not that you lack will power or have some sort of pathological flaw. There's good literature on this at Overeaters Anonymous, not sure if it's on their website or if you have to go. Also Brain Over Binge describes it, and The Don't Go Hungry Diet, both very readable.

Last edited by mars735; 09-10-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #9  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

I've noticed that high GI carbs play a HUGE factor in my appetite. I can eat exactly the same calories for two meals but if one meal features the wrong type of fuel (heavily weighted in carbs and sugars, even if they're unrefined carbs and healthy sugars, like in fruit) I will be famished very, very fast. If I do this for breakfast I'll have problems with my appetite all day long.

If I have a breakfast heavy with good fats and protein I'll stay satiated for a long time and it will also have a positive influence throughout the rest of the day.

I've actually had this problem my entire life, it's only been the past few years I recognized the pattern. I remember as a child in elementary school I would be so terribly hungry when breakfast consisted of cold cereal, even healthy cereals. It was just this gnawing hollowness. I was actually happy when my mother stopped making me eat breakfast and let me just have coffee! No breakfast left me with less hunger and more importantly, a manageable hunger! (believe it or not) Part of this, I believe, is because I have mild (then undiagnosed) gluten intolerance that causes heartburn, but the rest is absolutely the sugar spike from high GI foods.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:

WannaBeSkinny: I've heard about Intuitive Eating but I don't know how to go about it. Where do you suggest I go to learn more?
The problem with big and sudden is that life is rather mundane. Breakfast lunch and dinner happen every day no matter what big sudden things are happening. We can't build up every meal to be monumentous, nobody gains weight by eating one big meal, and nobody loses weight by eating one salad. It's how you approach food on a daily MUNDANE basis that counts in the long run.

A good introduction to the concept of IE is by reading the Overfed Head. It's a quick read. You can gain more understanding of how your inner rebel works by reading Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole. You can always visit the IE forum here on 3FC. A really good intro if you want some info in the next few minutes is to watch great videos by Josie Spinardi like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFR7Qu_2QM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I think you have control--you had to to have lost the weight. I'm like you with the diet approach in that I need some structure, and maybe you do too. just try to keep in mind that your method needs to keep you fed well enough to avoid this phenomenon of bingeing--some call it the Famine Reaction and there are other names for it. It's probably a neuro/hormonal mediated survival response to perceived starvation.

Just know you are experiencing something apparently hard-wired into our brains, not that you lack will power or have some sort of pathological flaw.
In IE it's called the Inner Rebel. It's often described as a bow and arrow effect. The tauter you pull the bow the faster and further the arrow will go when you release it. In diet terms the diet serves as the bow, and the inner rebel serves as the arrow. The tauter and more restrictive your diet is the more fierce your inner rebel will react.

Agreed, there is nothing inherently wrong with us, this is a normal response to over restriction.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

I agree with Mars advice.Sometimes in the beginning you have to absolutely measure everything and count calories and white knuckle it through the hungry bits.I timed my meals and if I was hungry at 10am,I drank more water and waited till 12 to eat.I did not eat till 5 or 6pm and drank lots of water.After a while the signal seems to get weaker and I think the fasts between meals kept the insulin from stimulating my appetite.
I am now able to hold off my hunger till my time to eat.In the very beginning I drank 1 scoop whey protein powder in water to ward off a few hunger pangs or hold me till the next meal.
You can do it...its a matter of measuring and timing,but you really have to want it.Good luck
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #12  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

Thanks everyone!

I had a huge breakthrough today. I went to enter my morning food into 'My Fitness Pal' and realized that all that time I was doing 'maintenance' my target calories were still 1200. I was setting myself up for failure right there!!!!

No wonder I gave up logging my meals before lunch. A little extra food at my breakfasts (I run in the morning so I end up eating twice before 9 am) and all of a sudden there's nothing left for dinner!

I hate the idea of carefully upping my calories but it's definitely one thing I haven't tried. And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I'm still hungry today, but I haven't overeaten.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Sounds like you're figuring it out tefrey! It's so counterintuitive to work on getting enough nutrition rather than just restricting it. I was overweight ost of my 61 yrs so i really had no clue what was the right amount to eat. Our culture tells us eating less means we're more feminine, better character, you name it. You may find it takes practice and patience to eat enough. I lost weight on Ideal Protein, about 900 cal and have a persistent tendency to try to keep it under 1100 on maintenance. Might as well wave a flag saying Binge if I do that!

Last edited by mars735; 09-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #14  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
I've noticed that high GI carbs play a HUGE factor in my appetite. I can eat exactly the same calories for two meals but if one meal features the wrong type of fuel (heavily weighted in carbs and sugars, even if they're unrefined carbs and healthy sugars, like in fruit) I will be famished very, very fast. If I do this for breakfast I'll have problems with my appetite all day long.

If I have a breakfast heavy with good fats and protein I'll stay satiated for a long time and it will also have a positive influence throughout the rest of the day.

I've actually had this problem my entire life, it's only been the past few years I recognized the pattern. I remember as a child in elementary school I would be so terribly hungry when breakfast consisted of cold cereal, even healthy cereals. It was just this gnawing hollowness. I was actually happy when my mother stopped making me eat breakfast and let me just have coffee! No breakfast left me with less hunger and more importantly, a manageable hunger! (believe it or not)
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but this is so ME!!! If not for my work schedule, I would eat my first meal at 10 am and it would be an Israeli-style brunch with lots of veggies and HB eggs.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #15  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/105/100

I always gain weight when I switch from walking to running. Have you tried walking?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote