Sugar Addiction- Help!

• Hello, I am not fat by any means- I'm only 113 lbs! . But I eat way too much sugar and I'm starting to feel bad. Anyone had success over a sugar addiction how did you conquer it?
  • I have never really succeeded at giving up sugar or sugar substitutes completely, but the times that I have given it up, I was only able to do it cold turkey. The minute I get a taste of sugar, I just want more so I have gone through periods when I had absolutely no sugar. Eventually, I got used to it and stopped craving it as much.
  • How much sugar are you eating ?

I've been sugar free for 3.5 months, except for recently on two separate days when i ate sugar in accordance with my rules.

I can't do sugar in moderation so i quit except for my special exceptions.

So how much sugar are you eating and what else are you eating?

How tall are you?
  • Quote: Hello, I am not fat by any means- I'm only 113 lbs! . But I eat way too much sugar and I'm starting to feel bad. Anyone had success over a sugar addiction how did you conquer it?
    Sugar substitutes are great I have used them for years along with drinking diet sodas and tea. Some will say they are bad for you too, but they sure beat the heck out of consuming an additional several hundred calories a day that you really don't need.

You get used to sugar substitutes very fast, regular Pepsi or coke taste really weird to me.
  • I have been off sugar for about a month. I quit cold turkey. It was hard but once it is mostly out of your system the cravings start to subside. I heard that for years and didn't believe it, esp since I have binge eating disorder and sugar was my main addiction. But, alas, it has turned out to be true for me. I've tried moderation a million times but kept bingeing. This is the first time in many years that I have been able to say no for so long. (I do use sugar substitutes for baking and in coffee/tea)
  • Shannon, i'm interested to know how and why you found it hard. Are you able to explain it by anything.

I ask because i don't find it hard when i start at the right time. If i start at the wrong time, its easy.

I'm wondering if you started at the wrong time and so it meant you had to exert a lot more will power and restraint than i do.

You probably have no idea what i'm talking about. IN case this is so, i will just try to clarify where i coming from.

Sometiems i try to start a diet, and i just can't for the life of me because my cravings for sugar and other crap food, but mainly sugar are too strong so i give in and give up straight away. It is usually like that when my mood is low and i think it may have to do with my seratonin levels (which is a depression neurotransmitter). There is a link between seratonin levels and appetite, especially for carb foods. I really only learnt about that as a fact since starting my diet this time. But i had already figured out that my mood seemed to matter.

Anyway so sometimes i can just decided in a flash that now is the time to start a diet and i don't seem to have any problem whatsoever. I do have to be careful at the start and do a lot of self talk but i don't find myself fighting off cravings.

The fact that you found it hard for a month which means to me that you were probably actively resisted cravings makes it all the more amazing to me that you prevailed. If that's the case Kudos to you. I kiss your feet!

But now just like quitting cigarettes, the thing is to not become casual when a craving shows its ugly head again. and never eat sugar when you;'ve got a craving. If you are going to eat sugar, do it when you are feeling strong. To get over a craving, try eating other good food and as much as you need.

Does any of that resonate with you? Or do you have some other type of explanation?
  • Pattience, I may have not been completely clear. It was only hard the first few days, adjusting to saying no to it when those around me (in my home are still eating it....along with bread, pasta, rice, etc) but once I got a few days in the cravings just started subsiding and I didn't want it anymore. For me personally, the key seems to be a low carb, wheat free diet. Since I changed my diet I have just stopped wanting all the junk I used to eat. But everyone is differentnd others may not have this same experience. I also am finally taking my health more seriously and not being in denial about my situation. It has finally clicked for me mentally I guess.
  • I have to agree with Shannonsnail- I love sugar, and have never really been able to do it in moderation. I have to go cold turkey to get off of it. Then after a few weeks, I am able to eat small amts of dark chocolate (80-90 percent) only.
    I stop craving sugar when I don't eat it. If I start eating it again, I start craving it all the time.
    I don't care for, or use, sugar substitutes though some people use them.
    I would recommend going cold turkey- no sugar. It's hard for a few days, but then it's fine
    When you do have sugar for a special occasion after that, you don't overdo it bc it tastes REALLY sweet!
  • Sugar is definately my binge. Like this morning, i had a peanut butter poptart thinking that was better than the "hot fudge poptart". Which i know are both bad options for breakfast but as usual i was running late and grabbed the closest option in the pantry. Then i get to work finish my poptart and i am still hungry, and i bought some fiber one bars to help with my chocolate cravings thinking ok these are better than a candy bar. By 10am i had eaten the package of poptarts and TWO fiber one bars. i know that i really need to cut out the sugar or i just keep eating and craving it. i have attempted this int he past after the first week i know the cravings get better and makes it much easier, but i just need to get to that point.
  • I would recommend slowly cutting back if you feel out of control. Don't go without added sugar completely. You haven't told us what you eat with sugar in it. Just make gentle adjustments to what you are eating, then when you are satisfied make more adjustments.
  • Quote: Pattience, I may have not been completely clear. It was only hard the first few days, adjusting to saying no to it when those around me (in my home are still eating it....along with bread, pasta, rice, etc) but once I got a few days in the cravings just started subsiding and I didn't want it anymore. For me personally, the key seems to be a low carb, wheat free diet. Since I changed my diet I have just stopped wanting all the junk I used to eat. But everyone is differentnd others may not have this same experience. I also am finally taking my health more seriously and not being in denial about my situation. It has finally clicked for me mentally I guess.
    Hi Shannon, oh yes that's a good explanation. Thank you. I know what you mean now about being around others eating differently. I definitely think that does put a bit of a strain on. I don't like seeing cakes and stuff around on the kitchen bench. I ask my dad to move it and he doesn't mind. I have got used to watching him eat desert though. I just turn my attention back to the tv because we are usually sitting in front of it when he's eating it.
  • I think for anyone with a sugar addiction, slowly cutting back is no easier. Just one mouthful sets me off when i am in the throws of my non-diet.

Well into my diet i can eat a bit without going haywire but from past experience usually a little bit still leads me back to the whole hog if i keep doing it so i can't do moderation and only keep those little bits for rare occasions when i can manage them with solid self talk.
  • Quote: Pattience, I may have not been completely clear. It was only hard the first few days, adjusting to saying no to it when those around me (in my home are still eating it....along with bread, pasta, rice, etc) but once I got a few days in the cravings just started subsiding and I didn't want it anymore. For me personally, the key seems to be a low carb, wheat free diet. Since I changed my diet I have just stopped wanting all the junk I used to eat. But everyone is differentnd others may not have this same experience. I also am finally taking my health more seriously and not being in denial about my situation. It has finally clicked for me mentally I guess.

100% this. My experience totally. Every single time. I don't know why I keep going about this any other way. I do not have a problem with using sugar substitutes. I still drink some diet soda, and occasionally I eat something sweetened with artificial sweeteners. I also don't have a problem with bingeing on fruit. I am able to limit it to one or two servings a day. But "real" sugar and wheat set off the monsters.