NSV: I finally listened to my stomach!

• Tonight I had a dinner date with DH and friends planned, and saved up enough WW points to splurge on a good meal. I had been looking forward to and planning for this dinner all week.

After eating salad and a little bread, I was full by the time I had eaten only about a third of my entree. Instead of shoving the rest down my throat, I gave the rest of my entree to my DH, which he wanted because it is one of his favorite meals.

I have never done this in my life! I always forced myself to finish everything whether I was hungry or not. Tonight, I listened to my stomach for a change and I feel so much better - not overly stuffed as usual. I also feel much more in control of what I eat. I think following WW and losing a few pounds has shrunk my stomach and to eat more would have made me feel terrible. This was a very big victory for me!
  • Awesome!
  • That is so wonderful! It truly is a gift to cultivate that skill of getting something you are craving and eating to satisfaction, you go girl!! Remind yourself that the prize is that when you stop now when you've had enough, you get to do it all over again as soon just as you are hungry and that won't be far away.

Yay!! A huge victory.
  • Indeed a valuable lesson, doingmybest. Congratulations on listening to your body.

As you well know, just because you have the points doesn't mean you have to eat them. I spent years counting calories and eating up to my daily limit just because I had them, not because of any real hunger on my part. Conversely, I can't count the times I went to bed hungry because I'd already eaten my daily "allotment" of calories.

Your recognition of your body's message that you were satisfied and no longer needed to eat is a HUGE step forward. Continuing this practice will not only make weight loss smoother but most importantly will make maintaining you goal weight so much easier.

Way to go!
  • indeed, a big victory! Here's to many more!
  • There is no greater victory than listening to what your body needs and giving it what it wants and stopping when it doesn't want it anymore. Every time you honor your hunger/fullness signals your'e making them strong.

There's a saying form the OO book that I like to quote "Overeating interferes with the pleasure of eating." Had you continued to eat that entree you'd feel bad, sad, mad, anything but glad.
  • Thank you all for your posts! Your support means so much to me!