Binge Free and Over Eating in January

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • Mainecyn I've done the same thing last winter. Sometimes I find that just not really trying to do anything helps, and over time a calamity comes to me and it feels easier to be "back to normal" again. Depending on how I feel, no habit that I try to incorporate sticks, and sometimes I just need to look at it like a cloudy period that passes. This thought sadly never stuck with me (I was so hard on myself), but I hope that it does for you - that we all care for you and are here for you and value you no matter what you do or don't eat!
  • I've done good tonight and am currently laying in bed. As long as I can keep myself glued here I should be good to go for the night. But it's a long 8 hrs especially when insomnia hits
  • I'm doing this stupid thing at the moment, which is sabotaging my own attempts at weight loss.

After being stuck around 210 for weeks and weeks, last week I had a little whoosh and went down to 205/206. But every time I see the scale moving down, I tend to get overconfident that 'this time my efforts are paying off', and suddenly decide to go eat. Yesterday I was 205, the lowest I remember myself being since I started. This morning when I woke up, I told myself to just go have an egg, but instead I had some fried snacks. I know just one cheat isn't the end of the world, but I always do this, and I'm posting here in an attempt to get myself to really wake up and stop being so silly about it. I just really want to get out of the 200s in the next few weeks, but if I binge every time I lose a few lbs, that's never going to happen.
  • Hey all,

I just wanted to check in and say that I haven't binged since Saturday. :3 I'm not quite sure who recommended it, but I've been reading Brain Over Binge and it's a game changer. Thanks for your support.
  • Quote: Mainecyn I've done the same thing last winter. Sometimes I find that just not really trying to do anything helps, and over time a calamity comes to me and it feels easier to be "back to normal" again. Depending on how I feel, no habit that I try to incorporate sticks, and sometimes I just need to look at it like a cloudy period that passes. This thought sadly never stuck with me (I was so hard on myself), but I hope that it does for you - that we all care for you and are here for you and value you no matter what you do or don't eat!
    It is exactly what you are describing, no matter what habit I try to stick to to help me cope with this fails. The back to normal periods are getting less and less, day or two, with the binging lasting weeks. Its never been so bad, been so self defeating. I always find myself saying I want to stop eating, stop binging, yet it continues. That defines "helplessness" or "addition" in my book. I have told myself many many times that I am someone who suffers from binge eating but haven't really addressed the addiction part that directly. I am wondering if facing the binging as an addiction makes it any easier, less emotional, easier to handle. I don't know. I am wondering if anyone has had any success ever, if you can beat this.

Im so tired. I just don't know how to handle things..It seems everything makes me binge, happy, sad, lonely, happy, nervous, anxious, bored..there is emotional reaction that can't make it happen..then there are also the times when I am in a normal emotional sense and I find myself thinking of binging, planning it, buying food to binge on, and looking forward to it an "itchy" feeling that needs to be scratched, or a pressure that needs to be released..doesn't matter what you call it, it happens.

Today is day 2 again of eating correctly and trying to remain focus. I wish I could tell myself during times of binging or thinking of binging, stop, remember how you feel, remember your promises, anything that could stop if...yet I've tried all of these and it doesn't stop me.

I have a board meeting tonight an hour or so after work today. My son has surgery tomorrow, and I am busy trying to pay bills. I finished a project at work this week that did help with some of my stress level..just keep going. If I can get thru today, I can face tomorrow, right?

I do think about everyone here and know I'm not alone, but I've found it difficult to make myself get back on line and check in, to post, to get support..I went from being ok, to hiding..that alone feeling.

I hope everyone has an easier day today and lets try to get thru it.
  • Hi everyone. Hoping I can just join this thread. The last time I binged was Tuesday the 14th. Sometimes I let my stress take over me and eat away my emotions.

I subscribe to a positive-themed mailing list type thing, and the woman who made it actually struggles with overeating. She recommended a book she found helped with those struggling. It's called "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth. I checked it out from the library. So far, it has helped me. I didn't binge last night, and I am feeling okay today. Obviously it's too early to tell. Maybe it's something you guys want to check out.

@Locke Brain over Binge sounds like another great book.

@mainecyn My heart goes out to you. Maybe read the book I suggested or the one Locke did.
  • Quote: Hi everyone. Hoping I can just join this thread. The last time I binged was Tuesday the 14th. Sometimes I let my stress take over me and eat away my emotions.

I subscribe to a positive-themed mailing list type thing, and the woman who made it actually struggles with overeating. She recommended a book she found helped with those struggling. It's called "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth. I checked it out from the library. So far, it has helped me. I didn't binge last night, and I am feeling okay today. Obviously it's too early to tell. Maybe it's something you guys want to check out.

@Locke Brain over Binge sounds like another great book.

@mainecyn My heart goes out to you. Maybe read the book I suggested or the one Locke did.
    Hi Arzu1991! Lots of good information and support here.
  • Hi, I hope its ok for me to join in the thread. I'd really like a place where i can keep track of how many days I go without binging and somewhere to turn when i struggle. The support and encouragement and even being called out on excuses and held accountable on this forum is great.

I've been reading the thread for a while but only just got the courage to register and join in. I'm currently reading the Brain over Binge book and finding it really useful.

So i'm only 2 days binge/over eating free but hoping for many more.
  • Bluh. It's been a kind of rough few days, for some reason none of the things that are fine for me to eat sound appealing, I want CARBS. Popcorn, pizza, pasta, at the moment sweet and sour chicken. I've managed to refrain, but it's no fun to eat only things that don't appeal to you Fruit and raw veggies (not cooked, ugh) are the only acceptable things that sound good, but the only fresh fruit we have right now is apples and I finished the last tomato yesterday. Tomorrow we'll be going to the store and loading up on produce. Regardless, I really hope this grip that carb laden foods currently has on me will lift soon! I'm now almost 3 months into this new way of eating and it's gone pretty well, but seriously, the past few days have been the hardest. I really hope it will pass soon and isn't indicative of things to come!
  • Hopeless
    I have joined slimming world and know what I have to do. It is my third week so far just lost 1 and a half pounds. I do great during the day and then in the evening I fall totally off the wagon. Three candies put me right over the top and the other evening 2 pitta pockets added my daily syns to 23!!!! Please someone help me to stop doing this!
  • I binged all weekend. I can remember standing at the counter in the kitchen and actually talking to myself and siding with binging. I had gone all week eating well, taking care of myself, and then I lost it. I ate bags of chips, cartons of cookies, bowls of cereal, a peanut butter and honey sandwich (which I've never done before), tortilla chips (bag) with sour cream, cheese, salsa, and guacamole, bowl of fruit, a bag of leftover Christmas candy, and so many other things I can't remember..all of it with in a couple of hours.

I have been trying to focus today and get past the feelings, the horrible self hate and embarrassment that has followed. I keep trying to find ways to convince myself into behaving like I used to, what worked, what did I lose and how did I lose it? Did I start to binge and then the feelings come, or did the feelings come and then the binging started? After years of success, losing a great deal of weight and keeping it off, keeping the binge eating at bay, it came back with a vengeance I have never seen.It comes across as a determination to damage myself, hate myself, sabotage myself. Does anyone else have the same types of feelings, or observations of themselves? I feel as if I am somewhere in my mind telling myself I can not succeed, like myself, be happy with who I am and how I look. I've tried to use guilt, tell myself imagine my husband seeing me acting on these binges, how disgusted he would be and not able to contain his revolt. Would the thought of embarrassment make me stop? The idea of showing my worst side, my deepest dirtiest thoughts and actions..

I have controlled my eating today, made myself a "sandwich" using green leaf lettuce leaves, two stips of bacon, a bit of turkey and ham..I had gotten to the point of feeling sick, also shaky, none of which happens when I stick to a low carb eating plan. I am feeling ill, all due to the binges.
  • Mainecyn, I was complaining about bingeing and a friend who is a social worker wrote that we keep repeating addictive behaviors (like binges) because in some way they work for us.

I was thinking about my most recent binge (candy at the movies...lots), and I thought to myself, of course I planned this binge. I knew bingeing on candy would provide a temporary blast of quick pleasure.

I am going to have to brainstorm other healthier activities which work as we as bingeing. The new activities need to bring just as much instant pleasure as candy.

There are some activities such as sunbathing on rocks by a stream that I love as much as candy or bingeing. I need to make sure I am getting enough of those.
  • Quote: Mainecyn, I was complaining about bingeing and a friend who is a social worker wrote that we keep repeating addictive behaviors (like binges) because in some way they work for us.

I was thinking about my most recent binge (candy at the movies...lots), and I thought to myself, of course I planned this binge. I knew bingeing on candy would provide a temporary blast of quick pleasure.

I am going to have to brainstorm other healthier activities which work as we as bingeing. The new activities need to bring just as much instant pleasure as candy.

There are some activities such as sunbathing on rocks by a stream that I love as much as candy or bingeing. I need to make sure I am getting enough of those.

I agree that binge eating is a type of addiction, I've known that for a long time, I have all the symptoms of any other addict, just substitute the work food for any other drug. I have been trying to battle the addiction but still haven't had much luck because the cycle just continues. If I could quit cold turkey and never have to touch food again, like giving up smoking, then it would be so much easier.
  • Sometimes I will go without bingeing for quite a while if I can stay away from sugars and flours and simple carbs. My eating plan allows two desserts a week, and those can set me off if I'm not careful.
  • I stepped on the scale this morning and I have binged my way up to 182 which is an all time high in years since first lost weight.