Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/144/130

Height: 5 foot 3

Unhappy How have you broken binging habits?

I seem to manage going for a period of time without a binge, then suddenly I'll go on a huge chocolate binge - and it just gets me into a habit for sometimes a few days. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop myself before I get to the tills? It sounds weird, but when I've got the thought in my head that I "need" chocolate, I almost go into a trance and walk myself into the shop...and before I know it, BAM! There's a massive bar of galaxy in my bag.

I tried self-hyponotherapy CDs, but the week I did that I found myself making worse choices!

Erp??
Lizbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I also have a "need" for chocolate! When you are in a binge free period do you still eat chocolate in moderation?

I ask because what has worked for me is trying to limit the amount rather than cut it out completely. I found a store near me that sells individual squares that are 50 calories a piece and I try to keep between 1 and 3 in the house at a time. That way I don't go out and buy a full bar when I have a craving because there is already some in the house and once I have a square or two (or even all three) my craving is usually satisfied (at least enough that I won't go buy more) but I haven't done that much damage calorie wise.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I found that certain foods triggered a binge. Like Subway, for some reason whenever I ate it, afterward I'd need cake, or sweets and then end up bingeing. So I tried to take notice of these certain foods that triggered a binge and avoided them. I also allowed myself a treat each day, something that did fit into my points, so that I didn't feel deprived. But since losing the weight and going into maintenance I've noticed my bingeing habits coming back. I don't think you ever really get over them and in my case it will be something I will forever have to watch. I guess the thing is taking the reins again before too much damage is done. It's not easy, I've been in relaxed 'eat anything' mode the last two weeks and the scales show I've gained a kilo. With xmas coming up and so much temptation around it is harder to get back on track. Good, luck, if anyone finds the answer to overcoming bingeing for good I'd be interested to find out, lol.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #4  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm binge-free now with the technique I learned from Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge. It works!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

My only way to stop a binge is to go for a long walk. I'm lucky to live in a safe area where people walk all hours of the day and night (downtown area), so I just put on my shoes and go! It is a bit prohibitive though as my joints can only handle 2 walks per day. I sometimes save a walk for nighttime if I think I might binge.

autumn/winter is my worst time for binging. I'm slip sliding up and down the scale right now.

I hope you find something that works for you!
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #6  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I haven't managed to break the binge cycle. The longest I went was many years ago, I last for two years. The longest since then has been 20+ days. I can't seem to hang on anymore. I can do well for a while and then something, anything, triggers a binge. I've tried studying why I binge, trying to control it and get to the emotional reasons, it doesn't matter.

The best I do controlling the binge eating cycle I have is coming to this site, this page, and speak to others that relate to my own personal experiences.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/144/130

Height: 5 foot 3

That's all really interesting to know. Mainecyn, I love your idea of a 'binge free' sig.

spetty - I have a square of lindt 85% choc each day, and I've been keeping a packet of nakd cocoa orange bars in my desk at work. I guess I need to figure out what my trigger is...but it's a really odd sensation.

I've been good today and managed to not snack at all (hooray!) - had a bowl of porridge, a chicken/salad sandwich and a bag of sweet and salted popcorn, then some lentils for dinner and a bit of fruit. One day at a time. I've got the work Christmas do on Friday, and that'll be an alcohol and food fest :/
Lizbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #8  
Let go!...Be free!

S/C/G: 239.6/204.6/157

Height: 5.7

Default My Way

I have been binging for as long as I can remember. I am now 74 pounds overweight. I have never been this big, but I refuse to throw up.

I know for me the only thing that keeps me in control is by being on a set program. I am also journalling and making sure that I know why I want to lose weight. I want control back. I want to cure my reasons in my head that I eat so much.

Realizing that this is all mental for me. I quit smoking and drinking 2 yrs ago- so food was all I had left.

I eat to cover up, I eat for "fun" and I eat to "feel better".

Jenny Craig worked for me in the past and it kept the weight off the longest. A cheaper route that did also work was the Mediterranean diet- but you gain back fast and it doesn't teach you portion control which Jenny does.
michlove1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbug View Post
spetty - I have a square of lindt 85% choc each day, and I've been keeping a packet of nakd cocoa orange bars in my desk at work. I guess I need to figure out what my trigger is...but it's a really odd sensation.
It may be the case that your trigger is actually having the chocolates everyday. For some people, having trigger foods around may make the bingeing worse so they do not keep such foods around.

I am the opposite, I actually LIKE having trigger foods around the house and the sense of being able to eat them when I want to (ie. no restrictions at all). If I have them around the house, I don't binge. Don't know, maybe it's a comfort thing, lol!

You could experiment to see what works for you.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: (HW:195) 185/182/148

Height: 5'10"

I am very very new to all of this, but just wanted to chime in to say that for me, the more processed a food is, the more likely it is to cause a binge. I am able to eat sensible portion sizes of natural peanut butter and dark chocolate, but become completely out of control with Reese's. Same thing with cheese and crackers. I can control myself with sharp cheddar cheese and sourdough bread/tortilla, but can absolutely not be accountable with ANY kind of boxed cracker. I've even noticed that if I buy organic, natural ice cream (very expensive), I don't binge. But if I buy a brand that is more processed, I do binge. I am wondering if the preservatives and other chemicals are causing some sort of reaction with me. As a final example, I can eat In-N-Out burger and not binge, but if I eat McDonald's...forget it.

J.
Jubilee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: hw:290/sw:215/cw:188/gw:140

Height: 5'3

Honestly the only thing that has worked for me is moderation. Not totally depriving myself like having 3 cookies instead of the whole bag...though even this simple thing has taken some practice.
tapifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 213/157/153

Height: 5 ft. four inches

Jubilee, which brand of organic, natural ice cream do you buy? I'd be interested to try it. I live in Southern California also. I do have a tendency to binge on I e cream, but maybe I need higher quality stuff.
Valkyrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: (HW:195) 185/182/148

Height: 5'10"

It's Straus Family Creamery. I get it at Mother's Market. They have a few other organic brands, too. Do you have Mother's Market in Carlsbad? I guess I could just look at their site. I am in North Orange County area.
Jubilee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
It may be the case that your trigger is actually having the chocolates everyday. For some people, having trigger foods around may make the bingeing worse so they do not keep such foods around.
That is spot on for me, I don't keep trigger foods around. And after a period of time of not eating them, they are losing their allure, which makes it easier to continue avoiding them.

Not sure I would say I've totally "broken" the binge habit, but I've definitely majorly damaged it and scuffed it up real good since I've only had one binge in the last 248 days.

It is such a relief not to be binging all the time, the freeing feeling is definitely worth all the up front effort.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #15  
Let go!...Be free!

S/C/G: 239.6/204.6/157

Height: 5.7

Smile

Mrs Snark and Jubilee77 I agree so much with both of your posts. Processed food for me creates an insanity mentally and then the binge is on. Being able to break that is hard but so empowering. The problem is when those foods are introduced back the cycle begins again. It is literally an addiction trigger. To be strong enough to break it is awesome. The temporary good feeling of giving in is nothing compared to being able to say. I WON!

Gaining my control back one day at a time.

Down 11.4 lbs in 20 days and not giving up!
michlove1980 is offline   Reply With Quote