Foods I can't have in my apartment

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • I used to eat a pot of hummus and guacamole a day and it stalled me out for months at 170. Dips are the devil.

However, everything and anything is in my house because I am married with kids. My solution has been to separate my food from the rest of the family's. It helps me mentally. So I have my own mini-fridge, my own pantry and my own part of the freezer for my food.

Drives the wife nuts.
  • Specifically: Keebler soft batch chocolate chip cookies. That's the only thing. If I don't demolish them my son will in one day. My son isn't overweight but I worry about it at times.
  • I'm not good at the moderation/willpower thing... And although I buy these OCCASSIONALLY, they are things I can't have around all the time.

Plain Potato Chips
    Gourmet Breads
    Nutella
    Premade Asian Food
    Snyder's Honey Mustard Onion Pretzel Pieces
    Cheesy Potatoes
  • Quote: So I have my own mini-fridge, my own pantry and my own part of the freezer for my food.
    I was thinking of getting a mini fridge. Hmmm...
  • Amazon do some great ones. I have one at home and one in my office. Both different brands. Both great.

At home, in my basement, I have a Haier HNSE04 4.0 Cubic Feet Refrigerator/Freezer, White.

In my office under my desk I have an SPT 2.5 cu.ft Compact Refrigerator Stainless Door with Black Sides.

Obsessed with weightloss/healthier lifestyle? Yes, I am. But I had to be...

Don't ask how I managed to get a mini-fridge into my office. It involved getting up very early one Friday morning, and carrying the thing into downtown DC on a dolly on the metro. Tough. But worth it.
  • I'm the same. I can't have most snack type foods. Anything sweet is a no no and stays outside my house. Cereal is the worst. I absolutely can't have it around or it disappears in a day or less. I know I need to work on that but for now it's easier to just keep the stuff away!
  • I think that you will be amazed if you read Beating the Food Giants by Paul Stitt.

It is a book written in the early 80s and is even more true now. Mr. Stitt used to work in the food industry and it shows how the food companies actually put addictive ingredients into our food so that you can't eat just one!

I have it by PDF if any one would like to take a read.
  • I don't buy sweets anymore, but sometimes I get a chocolate from someone, so I have some in the flat. I told my honey to hid them from me, so I don't know where they are!
  • Quote: I think that you will be amazed if you read Beating the Food Giants by Paul Stitt.

It is a book written in the early 80s and is even more true now. Mr. Stitt used to work in the food industry and it shows how the food companies actually put addictive ingredients into our food so that you can't eat just one!

I have it by PDF if any one would like to take a read.
    Kat i would like to read it. I'm wondering if they still use the same stuff or things have changed at all.

If it is why i can't stop eating sugar foods, then it would make sense. However i still thing sugar and salt are major culprits. Anything that intensifies the flavours will do it. That's partly why i don't have such a problem with even fruit, let alone all the other natural unprocessed foods. They are just not so sweet, salty etc.
  • When i'm trying got lose weight, Things i deliberately don't buy that are a problem for me if they are in the house are peanut butter, ice-cream, lollies, biscuits, cake, cream although i am using up the bottle of sour cream i had bought before my diet began. Luckily its full of preservatives.

If i'm in binge mode, nothing will stop me making a special trip to the shop for them. I think i'm like a heroin addict, though i have never yet mugged anyone.

I have never bought a jar of nutella for the sole reason that i have always known, i would go mad on it.

Cereals can be a problem for me when in binge mode, even the not very sweetened ones like cornflakes and weetbix. It then becomes the milk that i like so much. But i don't ban them when I am in a good eating phase like now.

Nuts can sometimes become a problem but when i am able to eat them just sprinkled on a salad, like now, they are allowed.