Binge Brought On By Weird Feeling

• Earlier today, I was cooking up some tofu and mushrooms for lunch. Suddenly, I started getting dizzy and started shaking really badly. I wasn't sure what the problem was, but I figured I should eat and drink some water. I ended up drinking about 25 oz. of water and eating probably about 4 servings up chips in a 10 minute time period. I don't know why I felt like I did, but now I feel terrible for eating so much (especially junk) in such a short period of time.
  • Quote: Earlier today, I was cooking up some tofu and mushrooms for lunch. Suddenly, I started getting dizzy and started shaking really badly. I wasn't sure what the problem was, but I figured I should eat and drink some water. I ended up drinking about 25 oz. of water and eating probably about 4 servings up chips in a 10 minute time period. I don't know why I felt like I did, but now I feel terrible for eating so much (especially junk) in such a short period of time.
    I'm not a binger per se, but more than once I've been on a diet low in carbs (or just haven't had a lot of carbs in awhile) and I get that same feeling. My blood sugar has dropped precipitously and I just HAVE to have some carbs. I usually go for something sugary and it will bring my blood sugar back up. I've come close to fainting more than once, which is why I cannot restrict carbs to any great degree.

It sounds like your blood sugar had dropped, but of course I can't know that for sure. You might think over what you'd eaten over the last 24-48 hours and if it was really low in carbs that might explain the shaking and your body's need for more carbs.

Did the chips stop the symptoms?
  • If I leave eating too late and get really hungry, especially after doing exercise, I get that. It's gotten a lot better recently though. I try to make sure I eat at the same times each day. Did you?
  • SouthernMaven - They did stop the symptoms, but my sugar shouldn't have been low. I ate more carbs than I normally would yesterday (protein shake, fruit, some pasta). And I had eaten a bowl of King Vitamin cereal about 3.5 hours before and a cup of iced coffee about 2 hours before. My family is prone to diabetes, but if anything, my carbs would have been high this morning.

IanG - I ate breakfast about 2 hours later than normal (didn't need to get up till 7 today) and I was making lunch around 11:30 (normally eat at 12). I didn't exercise this morning. I can't find any reason as to why this happened.