Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #346  
Typo, oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
Last night i went out with a friend for her birthday and all of a sudden i found myself panicking once again, the way i do when i'm dieting, thinking "what am i going to eat? how many calories are in it?" And not only that...i found myself looking forward to going home afterwards and eating MORE...BEFORE i even arrived at the restaurant!!! I guess that habit (freaking out about restaurant meal, then going home and binging) was so engrained that i actually looked forward to it!!!

I ended up eating an ok-sized (not too large) meal, but then i ate most of the dessert that we split. On the drive home, i thought about whether i was going to eat more when i got home. I added up the calories in my meal and decided they weren't too high, so i ate a little more when i got home. Nowhere near a binge though. Still, i would NEVER EVER admit this to anyone in real life. Most people are so full after a restaurant meal (especially one that includes dessert) that they LAST thing they want to do when they get home is eat MORE! I mean, i wouldn't be embarrassed about it if i hadn't eaten all day so i was starving or something like that, but this was more out of habit (a really dysfunctional habit) than anything else. Well, the good news is that i didn't binge and i wasn't tempted to.
I can totally relate! I would also count calories after dinner and if had some "left" i would just eat them in sweets or chocolate, just BECAUSE. congrats on not bingeing! it's a process and we'll get there.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #347  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
Krampus--why does it have to be 10 pounds? How about "letting" yourself gain 3 or 5 pounds? Maybe you really WOULD be happier not having to work so hard at maintaining your weight. Just sayin...it doesn't have to be all or nothing...you can be "ok" with gaining a couple of pounds, but then stop there.
That's the thing, I don't even have to work hard at maintaining. I don't count calories but I know I maintain within a range of a few lbs eating over 2000 a day, which is enough most of the time. I am already a lot fatter (I use the word "fat" because I would be perfectly happy simply having lower body fat and being whatever weight) than I want to be and sort of at peace with that, so I don't know that gaining weight by overeating food that makes me feel gross would be a good option - it would probably actually make me want to diet.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 202.6/196.4/135

Height: 5´7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
This is what I struggle with. Anything less than 2 cups of cereal seems like NOTHING to me. It occurred to me yesterday, after checking on this thread, that I still RESENT the idea that I have to moderate my portions. It seems mean-spirited of biology to have designed humans in such a way that our appetites don't match our physiological needs. (Yeah, yeah, I know that large appetites evolved in times of scarcity, but still.) I guess I'm not at the stage of accepting this whole moderation thing yet, let alone embracing it.

Freelance
I know what u mean. One cup of cereal doesn't fill me up either. But I add a greek yogurt and apple to it or eat it after I finish cereal with milk. Small trades work for me right now.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #349  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycg102 View Post
I have a very irrational way of thinking about food. Doesn't matter whether I am dieting or not, I want to eat crap food all the time. I love take out and chocolate!! So when I went on this last diet I lost 50lbs.... The easiest diet and got to the smallest I have ever been....ideal protein diet, which is a low carb, balanced protein diet. I thought for sure this time I licked it because I now have learned that I love veggies being on this diet.....but my first cheat turned into a weekend of binging and an 18 lb gain of water and yuck!! I was devastated.....I thought since I finally felt good about myself and how I looked that that was all I needed and holy crap it didn't do. I felt an urgency that I needed to figure it all out then and there, but then reality hit and I realize this is going to be the hardest thing to try and fix. I think about it all day long. So I have about 15lbs I want to loose....the remander of what i gained....back on the same diet, but like all diets with me once I cheat it is hard to stay committed, so I binge here and there....maybe every two weeks maybe a month Ned then recommitting again I am miserable for 2 days...loosing my best friend over and over. My issue now is, if I have anything off plan it sends me into a full on binge....so much worse then before. So I am scared to go to an unrestricted plan, because I was doing unrestricted for a couple months and gained 20. I truly do feel much better eating low carbs, i am in control of my food more when i limit carbs. i can sit in front of cake and really not have those strong urges until one day i loose it.
First up, sorry to hear about your father

This post is in reply to your post. Veggiedaze has many good observations which she posted in reply and which I would love to touch on after this.

I have observed that many of us who crave sugar try to solve our problem in one or more of the following ways. These ways range from total restriction to total non-restriction - there are probably a whole number of other ways out there but I think they are probably similar to what is below (not sure though):

1. Give up sugar totally
2. Go on a low carb or paleo lifestyle
3. Go on a low carb lifestyle but with a cheat day (e.g. have a sweet once a week)
4. Eat healthily each day and have a cheat day once a week/fortnight
5. Eat healthily each day most of the time with sweets/junk in moderation also each day
6. Total non-restriction, meaning eat sweets/junk any time.

I have read many stories on 3FC and all other dieting forums I've been on about how each one (except for the last, which was never proposed as an option) worked for at least one person. However, what we do not read is how long the chosen option worked for that person.

In REAL life, I have never heard of any person who successfully given up sugar for a lifetime. On the other hand, I have heard of many, many thin people who eat junk all the time (ie. way no. 6 above).

I have also heard of many people that cannot sustain a low carb lifestyle although I have heard of people who say that they are long term Atkins maintainers. My dad, one of the most disciplined person I have ever met and one of the most fittest and healthiest, was an Atkins follower because of the health benefits of the diet (alleged) but failed to sustain the lifestyle on a long term basis.

So then comes the "cheat day" option. Some people do this very well but a heck of a lot of discipline is required for this lifestyle and I suspect that for some, each day of restricting may be a struggle and a battle for those on this lifestyle. I admittedly do not have such discipline.

Next is the "eat healthily and have sweets/junk/crap in moderation". Many people handle this well including many on this thread. For others, to get to this stage may be difficult as they cannot stop eating once they have a taste of sweets/junk/crap. So what these people do is to restrict totally (option 1), go on a low carb lifestyle (option 2), have a cheat day (option 3/4) and hence, the cycle starts over and over again.

Solution for these people?? Lol, I don't have one and can't think of one!! EDIT: Veggiedaze's distinction between those who binge because of restriction/dieting and those who binge (or continue bingeing) because they are emotional eaters seem to be a key here to solve the problem.

I never actually did the "eat healthily and have junk in moderation" thing. In the past, I only ever binged and restrict (so a lot and none!). My solution, as previously described, was to go option 6 and finally, progressed to option 5.

Last edited by magical; 04-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #350  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedaze View Post
So the second kind of eating does not have to do with dieting (according to josie) and is emotional eating. She says when she first stopped dieting an solved the diet induced overeating (which I explained in the above paragraph) that she thought she was all cured, but then she still had some binges and realized there must be somthing else. And that is what I'm finding now. I am not bineing due to restrictiton/dieting, but I am still getting urges from time to time when I am lonely or bored or I just think it would be fun. And this is what she calls emotional eating. It was nice to hear from her this happened to her because for some people it seems as though the minute they stop restricting/dieting they stop bingeing. That seem to be the way with Bingefree2013 on this site.
You nailed it, Veggiedaze.

I am not an emotional eater so as soon as I stopped restricting/dieting, I stopped bingeing. I don't get the urge to eat when lonely or bored.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #351  

Quote:
Another thought....it is mind boggling to be able to lose weight by not counting calories and dieting. I really want to loose 10-15, so I will feel better in my skin, but how do I do that eating what I want, or not watching what I am eating. It's eating the yummy....but yucky food is what makes it hard for me to prepare a salad for lunch, or go to restaurant and order chicken and a salad instead a burger and fries. This is gonna take some time to wrap my head around. My thoughts are always....loose this last bit of weight then apply the new....but will it ever happen?????? That is the question!
I'm asking myself how I progressed from eating junk food to adopting a healthier style of eating.

I think it was very much automatic for me in the sense that when I stopped restricting totally, after going through the period of eating only junk, my body seemed to stop wanting junk ONLY. I wanted salads, meats, seafood, cakes, fried stuff, baked stuff, gourmet, street fair food, everything - basically, I wanted a variety of foods.

Whether this works for you, I don't know.

ETA: perhaps this is also a form of intuitive eating??

Last edited by magical; 04-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
First up, sorry to hear about your father

This post is in reply to your post. Veggiedaze has many good observations which she posted in reply and which I would love to touch on after this.

I have observed that many of us who crave sugar try to solve our problem in one or more of the following ways. These ways range from total restriction to total non-restriction - there are probably a whole number of other ways out there but I think they are probably similar to what is below (not sure though):

1. Give up sugar totally
2. Go on a low carb or paleo lifestyle
3. Go on a low carb lifestyle but with a cheat day (e.g. have a sweet once a week)
4. Eat healthily each day and have a cheat day once a week/fortnight
5. Eat healthily each day most of the time with sweets/junk in moderation also each day
6. Total non-restriction, meaning eat sweets/junk any time.

I have read many stories on 3FC and all other dieting forums I've been on about how each one (except for the last, which was never proposed as an option) worked for at least one person. However, what we do not read is how long the chosen option worked for that person.

In REAL life, I have never heard of any person who successfully given up sugar for a lifetime. On the other hand, I have heard of many, many thin people who eat junk all the time (ie. way no. 6 above).

I have also heard of many people that cannot sustain a low carb lifestyle although I have heard of people who say that they are long term Atkins maintainers. My dad, one of the most disciplined person I have ever met and one of the most fittest and healthiest, was an Atkins follower because of the health benefits of the diet (alleged) but failed to sustain the lifestyle on a long term basis.

So then comes the "cheat day" option. Some people do this very well but a heck of a lot of discipline is required for this lifestyle and I suspect that for some, each day of restricting may be a struggle and a battle for those on this lifestyle. I admittedly do not have such discipline.

Next is the "eat healthily and have sweets/junk/crap in moderation". Many people handle this well including many on this thread. For others, to get to this stage may be difficult as they cannot stop eating once they have a taste of sweets/junk/crap. So what these people do is to restrict totally (option 1), go on a low carb lifestyle (option 2), have a cheat day (option 3/4) and hence, the cycle starts over and over again.

Solution for these people?? Lol, I don't have one and can't think of one!! EDIT: Veggiedaze's distinction between those who binge because of restriction/dieting and those who binge (or continue bingeing) because they are emotional eaters seem to be a key here to solve the problem.

I never actually did the "eat healthily and have junk in moderation" thing. In the past, I only ever binged and restrict (so a lot and none!). My solution, as previously described, was to go option 6 and finally, progressed to option 5.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been thinking and reading this blog all day, I am on page 5 now lol. Lots of great advice, excited to keep reading.

Quote:
I'm asking myself how I progressed from eating junk food to adopting a healthier style of eating.

I think it was very much automatic for me in the sense that when I stopped restricting totally, after going through the period of eating only junk, my body seemed to stop wanting junk ONLY. I wanted salads, meats, seafood, cakes, fried stuff, baked stuff, gourmet, street fair food, everything - basically, I wanted a variety of foods.

Whether this works for you, I don't know.

ETA: perhaps this is also a form of intuitive eating??
I get what your saying....I remember along time ago, being on a path of eating too much junk food and crap and thinking I was sick of it, so I know it can happen. lol

Well I am happy to report I had a piece of carrot cake at work for someones birthday and only ate one piece....faught off the guilt and didn't feel like eating my supper until 7pm. THAT IS UNHEARDOF!! I am not going to go nuts and think this is it, but normally I would have a piece of unforbidden food and then go hog wild eating while trying to talk myself out of it. I have missed so many birthday cakes at work and every where else becuase of my food obsession. I still have thoughts swirling in my head....about my clothes that I want to fit into, dresses that I have bought that I have not worn yet that may not fit if I let go of restrictive eating. We are going to Myrtle Beach on friday camping with about 25 people and I have new bikinis that I want to where but worried about how I will look and feel....I am already pushing the bikini envelope, not being toned and smaller........but i have them. lol But on the other hand I dieted all summer last year, missing out on so much, always obsessing about food. Missing conversatioins with people becuase I was obsessing about the dip infront of me and staying out of it. I am tired of it!!!!!!!!!!!
I brought my low carb meals for work today but decided to have cake after going back and reading this thread this morning....I am on page 5 now lol.....trying to work too lol. I was going to costco on my break which was after the cake and the thought crossed my mind.......all or nothing get a hot dog, but reminded myself I was not hungry and I didn't need it, if I really wanted it I could potentially go back later and have one or tomorrow. I have eaten my supper of chicken and salad and for the first time in a long time feel full on real food, not just after grossly binging. It is still so early but I am feeling hopeful that I can pull this off.

I always have junk food in my house, I talk to my kids about healthy choices but they eat crap........my worst fear is my daughter to have a weight issue, but watching her and my son, they stop eating when they are full. My kids don't eat the cupcakes that I make, they say they want me to make them and then have one or a half and then are done with them. So weird to me!!!! I didn't have that stuff all the time when I was a kid until I was old enough to babysit and make money to get my own, so when we did get a bag of cookies or tub of icecream they rarely lasted a day or two. I am going to continue to observe my kids and learn from them lol I hope. And from all of you guys..............I can't believe how great you all are. Thank you so much.

HOpe this makes sense I am at work........lol should be working.....lol hope it make sense no time to proof read!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #353  

Quote:
I have been thinking and reading this blog all day, I am on page 5 now lol. Lots of great advice, excited to keep reading.
Reading that you are reading the entire thread made me want to do it as well. I confess that I have not read everything, first couple of pages, skipped to the middle, then jumped in headfirst at the end, lol!

I have now read up to page 5 and it is quite fascinating to read how different we all are. Even when we expound the same general principles, we approach things differently and our bodies react differently.

Quote:
Well I am happy to report I had a piece of carrot cake at work for someones birthday and only ate one piece....faught off the guilt and didn't feel like eating my supper until 7pm. THAT IS UNHEARDOF!!
Very happy for you. What you may want to do is to ditch the scales as well (per your siggy, you are weighing yourself each week?)

Quote:
I always have junk food in my house, I talk to my kids about healthy choices but they eat crap........my worst fear is my daughter to have a weight issue, but watching her and my son, they stop eating when they are full. My kids don't eat the cupcakes that I make, they say they want me to make them and then have one or a half and then are done with them. So weird to me!!!!
So do I. In fact, I always buy junk... still. Only difference now is that I bring them home, put them aside and actually forget about them. If they are not eaten by anyone else in the house, they can remain in my kitchen for weeks/months until they expire and we throw them away. My kids are like yours, they eat only if hungry.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 113/117/110-120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I resent having to moderate my portions, too. For me it's easier to not eat XYZ foods at all than to have to moderate them. I don't know how that should be categorized in the grand scheme of dieting versus abstaining versus knowing my limits and not trying to fight impulses and wind up feeling like I am dieting, or what.

Over the weekend I overate - I felt gross and had soapy carb-mouth in the morning, erratic uncomfortable poops, bloated up a few pounds, and felt anxious and puffy. I started having feelings of "I am failing at life because I am eating poorly" and at one point thought "Maybe I'll let myself gain ten pounds because it's so miserable to have to eat in moderation." I hate that I waste so much time thinking about food and eating and I am constantly joking with my BF that we should get $30 worth of Chinese takeout and eat it all (we never do - he is a recovered binge eater too).
Me three on the moderating portions thing. I always find it easier to say no than to try to have "some". If I'm in public it's okay. Not so easy at home yet. I think though that always saying no every time leads to a feeling of deprivation of time which builds up. So while having "some" seems more difficult at the time, having the memory of having some is what has probably kept me from bingeing. I think once I get used to the having "some" thing, I can start saying no much of the time and have a portion some of the time on things I really really want. For me now, unless I force myself to have a portion, I won't. I am getting over the junk food overeating phase now I can tell. I am just really wanting healthy food. But I bet I'll still have a donut next time they are at work .
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #355  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Reading that you are reading the entire thread made me want to do it as well. I confess that I have not read everything, first couple of pages, skipped to the middle, then jumped in headfirst at the end, lol!

I have now read up to page 5 and it is quite fascinating to read how different we all are. Even when we expound the same general principles, we approach things differently and our bodies react differently.

Very happy for you. What you may want to do is to ditch the scales as well (per your siggy, you are weighing yourself each week?)

So do I. In fact, I always buy junk... still. Only difference now is that I bring them home, put them aside and actually forget about them. If they are not eaten by anyone else in the house, they can remain in my kitchen for weeks/months until they expire and we throw them away. My kids are like yours, they eat only if hungry.

I do weigh myself 1-5 times a week. Lol I will stay off, I can't take what it may read.
I unfortunately didn't do great when I got home. I could have done worse though and don't feel those strong urges to binge like I normally do. I had a few things to eat, i should have stopped with the yogurt and watermelon, but moved on to a protein bar.......i really do love them.....and then a peanut butter and jam sandwich, but i really feel fine.....right at this moment, which i normally wouldn't stop at just that. i would have lots more! it is hard to do....just letting it all go, but I am going to give it a shot. I find coming home hardest, and going to my parents home is the worst. Not sure if it ties back to childhood memories or not, I am sure it does to a certain extent, but I kinda have issues with my husbands parents house....she is a baker, so of course sugary food there. Gosh I hope I can catch on to this quicker then not. I obviously can't help but worry about the weight. I always think about what people are thinking about how I look. Some of the girls at work are"mean girls" so I have distanced myself....still being nice but not hanging out on breaks......but they eye me up and down constantly....they do it to everyone but me being very self conscious makes me really mad. Anyway I am going back to continue my read on the earlier post.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #356  

Quote:
...it is hard to do....just letting it all go, but I am going to give it a shot.
I think SouthernMaven was spot on when she said this on page 3 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
If you're not willing to take the chance that you may gain weight practicing IE, then I believe you are correct not to try it.
IMO, unless you (as in a general "you") are willing to try another diet/plan to restrict sugar/carbs, you need to cure your bingeing by letting go completely of your restrictions and yes, gain weight, then practice IE by really examining how hunger and satiety/fullness works for you as an individual.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #357  

Quote:

Well I am happy to report I had a piece of carrot cake at work for someones birthday and only ate one piece....faught off the guilt and didn't feel like eating my supper until 7pm. THAT IS UNHEARDOF!! I am not going to go nuts and think this is it, but normally I would have a piece of unforbidden food and then go hog wild eating while trying to talk myself out of it. I have missed so many birthday cakes at work and every where else becuase of my food obsession. I still have thoughts swirling in my head....about my clothes that I want to fit into, dresses that I have bought that I have not worn yet that may not fit if I let go of restrictive eating. We are going to Myrtle Beach on friday camping with about 25 people and I have new bikinis that I want to where but worried about how I will look and feel....I am already pushing the bikini envelope, not being toned and smaller........but i have them. lol But on the other hand I dieted all summer last year, missing out on so much, always obsessing about food. Missing conversatioins with people becuase I was obsessing about the dip infront of me and staying out of it. I am tired of it!!!!!!!!!!!
I brought my low carb meals for work today but decided to have cake after going back and reading this thread this morning....I am on page 5 now lol.....trying to work too lol. I was going to costco on my break which was after the cake and the thought crossed my mind.......all or nothing get a hot dog, but reminded myself I was not hungry and I didn't need it, if I really wanted it I could potentially go back later and have one or tomorrow. I have eaten my supper of chicken and salad and for the first time in a long time feel full on real food, not just after grossly binging. It is still so early but I am feeling hopeful that I can pull this off.

I always have junk food in my house, I talk to my kids about healthy choices but they eat crap........my worst fear is my daughter to have a weight issue, but watching her and my son, they stop eating when they are full. My kids don't eat the cupcakes that I make, they say they want me to make them and then have one or a half and then are done with them. So weird to me!!!! I didn't have that stuff all the time when I was a kid until I was old enough to babysit and make money to get my own, so when we did get a bag of cookies or tub of icecream they rarely lasted a day or two. I am going to continue to observe my kids and learn from them lol I hope. And from all of you guys..............I can't believe how great you all are. Thank you so much.

HOpe this makes sense I am at work........lol should be working.....lol hope it make sense no time to proof read!
OMG your carrot cake thing is exactly the same as my first victory with the donuts. I practically s--t myself that I didn't want to binge after work and actually felt like a healthy dinner. You know, you sound alot like me in the way you are with food. You know, I've always been a bit of an emotional eater even as a kid, sneaking cupcakes at my grandmas house to soothe myself and eating too many chips in front of the television to pass the time with boredom. I never recognized this as emotional eating at the time (Josie's videos helped me identify this). And so when I became a teenager, I think I recognized I was a little out of control with certain foods and so began the rules and restrictions because I wanted to be really thin like some of the other really popular girls. Well I didn't know at the time, but the rules and restrictions only added a whole other category of binges (also thanks to josie: the gasping for breath and eating because you ate categories). So then when my eating got worse (I was not bingeing at this time but really overeating), I piled on more and more restrictions which have continued in one way or another until about a month ago.

So now with eliminating the restrictions, I have virtually wiped out about 50 percent of my bingeing urges because I never feel I have to just sit an be hungry, and I never feel guilty about eating anything. So what I have left now is emotional eating. Josie doesn't have her emotional eating book out yet, but I got the kindle version of "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" which was recomended by someone (sorry I can['t remember who as I'm typing this) on the previous page of this thread and OMG it is really really really helping. I have been so confused by why I want food sometimes when I am clearly not physically hungry, and this book really pinpoints everything and has it's own categories like head hunger and heart hunger. Just by knowing this gives these urges way way way less power, and it almost seems ridiculous now why i felt so confused by them.

Xena - I've read a little of the bethany frankel book and you are right that there are some good things in there like the thinking of what you eat as a bank account. It does nicely illustrate the idea of balancing health and desire. But like you there were things that put me off like the 2 bites of this or that. But there are some good ideas I have taken. Another thing I didn't like is that she includes alot of recipes that just seem like filler because she didn't have enough to say. And she doesn't really get into the emotional cause of bingeing and just basically says "don't binge, it's not worth it". DUHHHHHHHH as if people don't know that. I think she is probably a person like magical that doesn't eat emotionally. She definitely strikes me as someone who would find solutions to problems instead of that learned helplessness emotional eaters fall into.

But honestly that whole emotional eating discovery has been huge for me. It is the missing link. I have been confused because I can binge on things like ice cream and other things that I just never want or crave when I'm actually hungry. So every time I get hungry and crave something healthy it's been messing with my head a bit because I keep expecting me to want the unhealthy stuff I binge on. But the thing is, so many foods I use just as an emotional drug and not as actual food. This is really making what bingefree2013 said alot further back in this thread finallly make sense to me. She said that the minute she stoppeed restricting that she immediately went to the store to get all the things she deprived herself of and wanted like alot of junk foods. When I stopped restricting, my grocery shopping didn't really change muchh from when I was restricting so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. But what I've realized now, is that my favourite foods are healthy foods. I don't actually want "unhealthy" food too much. I really only want to eat unhealthy stuff for emotional eating/bingeing, and now I am thinking that bingefree2013 never had an emotional eating problem. Her problem was entirely restriction (please correct me if I'm wrong bingefree). Junk food just doesn't appeal to me when I actually want to eat food as fuel. The only real time I actually want unhealthy food is when I am with other people and there is something unhealthy that everyone is eating (like the donuts at work or going out for wings or chinese with friends) and by not letting myself have it when everyone else does, I feel really deprived. Other than that, I really truly dislike unhealthy food for real meals. I would rather eat a chicken stir fry with tonnes of veggies any day over fast food. Also, going back to the portion control discussion, I don't think it's all that necessary to really restrict portions of crap food when eating out with friends because how often do people really go out with friends (me only like once every couple months). So why not just eat as much as you want and forget about the portion moderation. By doing away with it and just having fun you will probably actually have less IMHO.

Anyways, it's been such an epiphany because I just didn't get why I still wanted healthy food 99.9% of the time when I was physically hungry after not restricting wondering if I was somehow lying to myself. I really envy people who do not have the emotional eating component of bingeing. If it was just diet/restriction bingeing, the solution would be so much simpler: just stop restricting. For emotional eaters they have to figure this out as well and it is tougher to solve I think but not impossible. I think that's why there has been so much skeptisism at bingefrees claims to just stop restricting and dieting and problem solved. I think some people (people who emotionally eat) know there is more to it than that, and to those people there is more to it. For me there is more to it. I envy you magical that you state you do not emotionally eat. But honest to g-d everyone that emotionally eats, just understainding the urgers makes it so much better. I can't reccomend more both josies youtube videos to explain why dieting causes bingeing, and that book "Liife is hard; Food is easy" to tackle the emotional eating part. And when josies book comes out on the emotional eating I bet it will be good.

Also, when Josie stopped restricting she did just as bingefree did and bought all her favourites and triggers and just submerged herself in it. She said while this is probably the fastest route to getting through the eating crappy phase, some people, particulary those who do alot of emotional eating do better by keeping most of it out of the house and gradually bringing some things in. This is the approach I have taken because emotional eating has such a strong hold on me and there is definitely something to be said about the power of suggestion. I don't really need to look at stuff all the time that urges me to emotionally eat. Josie suggests keeping the trigger stuff in a separate cupboard or drawer. Honestly I don't see why not go one step further and just keep it at the store and get it when you need it. That's just me though. Just doesn't make sense to me to keep it in the house if you don't have to. As long as you know you can go get anything anytime you want to you won't feel deprived. Those are my thoughts for today.

Kelly - please note that if you read this thread from the very beginning my thoughts are much different than they are now. I have really done a metamorphisis in my thinking. So just so you know, some of the things I thought in the beginning arn't what I think now (and will likely keep changing).

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #358  

Quote:
I think SouthernMaven was spot on when she said this on page 3 of this thread:

IMO, unless you (as in a general "you") are willing to try another diet/plan to restrict sugar/carbs, you need to cure your bingeing by letting go completely of your restrictions and yes, gain weight, then practice IE by really examining how hunger and satiety/fullness works for you as an individual.
It's true, focusing on weight only inhibits someone from getting to the bottom of what is causing them to binge. It doesn't mean you can't want to lose weight, but put it on hold to get better mentally. Then later you can try and tackle any weight issues after with a better head and you will likely be so much more successful. I am forbidding weighing myself to keep the focus on my disorder for now.

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-30-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #359  

Quote:
I do weigh myself 1-5 times a week. Lol I will stay off, I can't take what it may read.
I unfortunately didn't do great when I got home. I could have done worse though and don't feel those strong urges to binge like I normally do. I had a few things to eat, i should have stopped with the yogurt and watermelon, but moved on to a protein bar.......i really do love them.....and then a peanut butter and jam sandwich, but i really feel fine.....right at this moment, which i normally wouldn't stop at just that. i would have lots more! it is hard to do....just letting it all go, but I am going to give it a shot. I find coming home hardest, and going to my parents home is the worst. Not sure if it ties back to childhood memories or not, I am sure it does to a certain extent, but I kinda have issues with my husbands parents house....she is a baker, so of course sugary food there. Gosh I hope I can catch on to this quicker then not. I obviously can't help but worry about the weight. I always think about what people are thinking about how I look. Some of the girls at work are"mean girls" so I have distanced myself....still being nice but not hanging out on breaks......but they eye me up and down constantly....they do it to everyone but me being very self conscious makes me really mad. Anyway I am going back to continue my read on the earlier post.
Don't beat yourself up about not being completely successful when first incorporating stuff. Just learn from it and ask yourself what went on in your head. And keep your mind on the positive in that you still did better than you would have before even though you weren't perfect. My mom's house is the hardest too. Her cupboards are bursting with cookies all the time. And don't worry about the mean girls. What only matters is you .

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-30-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #360  

Quote:
Thank you very much veggiedaze for your reply. I will look up those videos of Josie and hear what she has to say. It is trying to break out of the only thing I have known for years and that is constantly trying to control my weight by dieting. I worry about letting my guard down.....at this point I eat way past the point of full, so trying to eat when I am hungry and finish when I am full or almost will be hard. You know it's all the stuff I have learned over the years, gotta eat breakfast to get your metabolism going.....(or in my case to find one lol) but I actually am not always hungry in the morning and when I don't eat breakfast, I can go all morning and not eat, but if I eat breakie, I am starving...lol....an hour later. I always try to eat 6 meals a day, but it just means I am constantly having to plan food. I am not living life.....someone mentioned that in an earlier post.....busy living life. I am busy alright....obsessing about how uncomfortable I am in my skin and food. I am going to keep coming back to visit here, read some more domsome "soul searching" and see if I can break the cycle. It is inconceivable to think of honestly, but what I am doing isn't helping either right? Ugh this is so hard, I just feel like crying I am so frustrated. It is a job all on its own I feel, mixed in with working for a living, being a mom, a wife, a friend a daughter.....trying to do it all somewhat good. Like I said to eat to survive would be so awesome. Thanks again everyone for your insight.
Yes, it's hard to get all the stuff you've learned out of your head. You know, on my days off I often don't eat breakfast until noon. Krampus tends to have a very late breakfast too and same with southernmavin. No point eating when you are not hungry. And I've also tried the 6 meals/day thing but honestly I like fewer meals that are more substantial. That is the beauty of not dieting. You can do what you like best, not what someone else tells you is better. And it was me who said I was busy living life. First time I could say that in many years. But I should be clear there has been plenty of bumps in this road and I have felt like giving up more than once. I think the best advice is to believe it's possible, but know it is not easy either trying to get to the bottom of everything.Also there is alot of trial and error involved.

Last edited by veggiedaze; 04-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Closed Thread