Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Default When you were younger, did your parents hide food from you?

My father used to hide chips, cookies, etc from the family whenever he went grocery shopping, and brought it out in a timely manner to make it last longer. I swear, to this day, this was a huge reason I became a binger at a very young age. I wouldn't know when the next time I would see/eat this delicious food again, so I made sure to eat a LOT of it in one sitting, and in secret because I wouldn't want him to take the food away from me.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/177/165lb (97/80.5/75kg)

Height: 5'7" (170cm)

Don't have time to answer in length because it's very late here, but basically: yes, yes, YES! My parents did exactly what you described in order to make treats last from shopping day to shopping day, and I reacted in the same way, by hoarding stuff to eat in secret. Had never really thought about it before..
rainbow84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I know my mother hid baking supplies like walnuts, cherries, chocolate chips, etc. so they would be there when she baked. But, I do not remember her hiding regular snacks. The potato chips and Fritos were always on the shelf, and we always had homemade baked goods. She PUSHED fresh fruit and vegetables on us.

I am one who is overweight because I eat and sometimes drink too much, because once I start I continue. I have no one to blame but myself.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176.4/165.6/125

Height: 5'4"

Yes same here!! It was a little different scenario, but pretty similar. My mom would hide candy and other junk food and we were allowed to have a certain amount, but we would always try to sneak it when she wasn't around. I also have realized that my parents would reward us with food. If I caught a pop fly at my softball game, my parents would buy me doritos because they were (and still are) my favorite. I do not blame them for any of this, but its just interesting. However, something about it makes me associate binging at my mom's house. My parents live 3000 miles away, but when I know i am going home, I start to think about what I am going to eat. My mom has in turn been very supportive, and tries to keep the house clean of junk food (mostly for her and my dad as well). Anyway, interesting topic summerlove!
LovePurple15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

I think all parents limit the junk food their kids eat. Or at least they should. Maybe they hid it because you were sneaking it?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176.4/165.6/125

Height: 5'4"

@Monica, I as well am overweight because I eat and sometimes drink too much. I do not blame anyone but myself either, I just find it interesting what I associate with things.

I have to say my mom was good about pushing fruit and vegetables on us as well. It was usually a "you can have this, if you have that first" kind of situation
LovePurple15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Oh wow. My parents never hid food. What they ate I was right there eating with them.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

My father was always very possessive about food and hid it.. usually from my brother, and then my brother started hiding food too. It wasn't an attempt to make the food last longer, it was because he wanted it for himself, though.. (It was always food my mother bought for everyone, by the way)
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #9  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

All our junk food was readily accessible. I usually didn't eat that much of it and stayed pretty reasonable with the quantity I'd eat on a typical day.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 314/283/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi:
When I was growing up in the 60's my parents bought foods like chips, sodas, and sweets in limited quantities. Two bottles of soda for Friday and Saturday; occasionally the bought or made a bag of chips; cookies doled out: two in our lunches, 2 after school, two before bedtime. They didn't start piling in the goodies until my brother was a teenager and I was long gone by then! The culture surrounding food was just different then; for the previous 30 years there was a depression and then food rationing in the U.S.
There are so many different issues about food and how we deal with it...I always encouraged my two daughters to eat moderately and didn't restrict them because some women in my family have weight issues and I thought snacking all the time OR restricting food in general would add to the problem! There is OCD in my family!
Tamsin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #11  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

If food was hidden in my house, I didn't know about it.

For the first 7 years of my life I literally got to eat pretty much what ever I wanted. Then when my mom married my stepfather he used to not let me eat what I wanted. That's when I started sneaking food. My brother was born when I was 10 and when he was old enough they bought him special things but I didn't get special things and I was still not allowed to have the goodies in the pantry. The only thing that I was allowed to have was ramen noodles because they were cheap. I was allowed to get 7-10 bags of noodles a week and that is what I would eat after school as a teenager. It caused huge food issues with me. I still hide food, I also hoard food. I don't mean to do it, it's something I've had a hard time overcoming.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It was stored but not hidden in my house and I simply obeyed the rules. I could have 5 Oreos for dessert after a meal, and the rest "lived" in a Tupperware in the kitchen. I never sneaked to binge on them.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #13  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

sometimes. mostly, we knew it was there, but not allowed to eat it until they said we could. not just junk food, cheese and other things too. i to make it last longer. but sometimes she forgot it was there. stale m&m's is nasty i tell you.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I was babysat at my grandma's house a lot who gave me everything I wanted in terms of sweets, but my parents never gave me any. Looking back, I realize my grandma was a binge eater and my parents were afraid I'd turn into her....well, I did. Anyhow, it certainly drove the fact into my brain that sweets are "bad".
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #15  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

I was the one hiding snacks from my daddy cuz he'd kill the box by himself
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote