Room for a binge?

• I have associated my living room and watching TV with my prior/current binge urges. This is where I have my DVD player with sound equipment. I would get fast food and gourge myself on it while watching TV and wait for the food coma to get some sleep and escape my anxiety. Now I cannot watch TV/DVDs in this room without sensing the urge to binge.

Does anyone else have an association of binging with a specific room? What do you do about it?
  • My desk at work. It's a "hungry zone" and if I sit there I have to be drinking tea or chewing gum or I will just sit there and fixate on eating.

It's a real problem.....my solution is just to always have a drink on hand, but it's not easy.
  • I used to with my bedroom, since I always ate alone and live at home, when I was really trying to break away from some bad habits, I got rid of everything associated to my old eating habits. I then also shuffled the room up, bought new bedding/throws and accessories and made the room look entirely different.
    It helped to see what was basically a fresh start, perhaps a placebo effect in ways but it seemed to work for me!

I definitely 2nd drinking lots of water too, especially before you get hungry or want to binge. Better to prevent a binge than try to cure one if possible
  • My Car. Yes folks, I'm guilty of bingeing & driving. Sometimes my car looked like a dumpster of binge food wrappers. Because of my bingeing & driving, I'm struggling with getting in my car to go places because every time I go somewhere I want to stop and get something I shouldn't.
  • Definitely my room. (I'm 19 and live at home) It was way worse, however, when I lived upstairs. Just a quick 10 second walk to the kitchen to fix and take whatever I wanted back up to my cozy room with me, where I'd eat (quite contently) in peace while on the internet.

Now I live in the basement suite, and in order to get to the kitchen, I'd have to go outside (not that I'm lazy!). My binging has decreased.
  • For me it is the kitchen, usually while prepping food for my kids I will be hidden in the cupboard downing a box of granola bars. I used to even keep my pop in the cupboard so I could wash down the crap without anyone noticing. I now keep a jug of water in the dining room and try my best to gulp down some water before entering the kitchen.
  • I live alone and have the whole house to myself but my binge area was my bedroom. My entire bed would look like a picnic area. I even put a table cloth down first so the grease wouldn't soak through. I'd sit indian style and let the games begin!

I agree with what krampus said. Instead of picking up food, I go to 7-11 and get a coffee or tea. Then I started bringing that back to my room along with a healthy snack. It took a while but I now associate laying in bed watching TV with coffee.
  • For me, it's my college dorm room and back at my parent's house, the bathroom. (Yes, I'd go in there I was so ashamed to eat). Unfortunately, I've had to get past both because I need to use both of them! For my dorm room I have plenty of healthy food, I don't carry cash on me in college any more (for vending machines) and I plan what to eat so I don't "panic my way into a binge". My bathroom is a whole 'nother story. I still sometime cry going in there. Oy.
  • [QUOTE=serendipity907;3739867]I used to with my bedroom, since I always ate alone and live at home, when I was really trying to break away from some bad habits, I got rid of everything associated to my old eating habits. I then also shuffled the room up, bought new bedding/throws and accessories and made the room look entirely different.
    It helped to see what was basically a fresh start, perhaps a placebo effect in ways but it seemed to work for me! [QUOTE]

I think this is a great idea if you can. Change it up - rearrange the cupboards - buy some cute decorations - make it a different space. I have a friend who broke up with her boyfriend and went out and bought all new bedding and loved the fact that he had never slept on that bedding. I think it really helps.