3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   night time eating (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/225958-night-time-eating.html)

blueballerina 02-17-2011 08:17 PM

night time eating

i eat great all day and then at night..it's almost like my mind panics and wants to eat everything...usually still healthy food, but unnecessary added calories :/

i don't even feel like overeating most of the time during the day..and i think it is partly since i am alone for most of the day and i'm busy with other things.....but at night, few hours after dinner...i just munch and munch....this wasn't a problem before starting to try to lose weight...i definitely think it is a psychological thing

any advice ?

i was thinking of trying self-hypnosis

carrie77 02-17-2011 08:20 PM

I have this issue as well - have for years. I once read you have to replace one bad habit with another habit (hopefully a good one).

I exercise in the evenings. Where I used to sit and binge now I go to the gym and get active. I find when I get home I have no desire to eat - I don't want to counteract the workout I just did.

I've been replacing my night eating with exercise, and it is really helping.

I also find the nights I skip the exercise are the nights I really struggle with night eating.

cheeriloos 02-17-2011 08:42 PM

Oh my goddd, i do the exact same thing I feel so stuck and it makes it soo difficult form me its like I don't want to come home because I suffer all day with this dieting and not eating what i love and in the amounts i like and then at night i ruin it. Its soo disappointing and i have noone to blame but myself but when i'm at work its so easy my mind is busy and i'm busy and at home all there is , is fooood. I will have to do something idk what yet. but something , good to know i'm not alone in this

hope for recovery 02-20-2011 01:19 PM

for me the more i try to control food and have it in a certain way, the more cravings i have so i now try to be loving and caring to myself and not stop food because i can't... so i just eat and when i am full it gets uncomfortable and i just really really want to stop hurting my beautiful lovely body that i used to hate... i want to love it now and do loving things and not stuff it with food. So i try just for one evening not to eat. Doing something else instead also really helps.

spunkystar01 02-20-2011 01:32 PM

I agree with Carrie...A lot of nights I will do my workout in the evening, because as soon as I am done that work out I genuinely have no desire to eat anything...I can just curl up and watch a bit of TV before bed without feeling like I need to eat something

Resolute 02-20-2011 01:44 PM

I also have a predisposition for eating at night, i tend to eat sparingly during the day and keep the bulk of my calories for a late meal, it definately helps.

Violin Jenn 02-20-2011 01:51 PM

I used to want to eat at night too, but for me I started having tea instead of eating. Same hand to mouth action, just a whole lot less calories!

LauraGina 02-22-2011 06:13 PM

I think the night-time workout is a GREAT idea!
I'm going to have to try it out. :)

christiina 02-26-2011 09:04 AM

This is probably one of my biggest weaknesses as well. I still struggle with it, but I have two tactics. 1 - try drinking something instead of eating. 2 - if it's getting late, just go to bed.

I've also read a suggestion about brushing your teeth right after dinner, to prevent yourself from eating night-time snacks. Not sure why I never tried it, but sounds like a good idea to me!

SweetPeach3388 02-26-2011 03:32 PM

I also struggle with nighttime eating. I too stay on plan all day and then subconsciously want to stuff my face with "delicious" things at night. It also doesn't help that I do most of my homework at night and I think my own subconscious procrastination tactic is to eat.

Traddon 05-20-2011 01:33 AM

Hey Violin Jenn, where are you around philly?

ShyHeather 05-24-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueballerina (Post 3717490)
i eat great all day and then at night..it's almost like my mind panics and wants to eat everything...usually still healthy food, but unnecessary added calories :/

i don't even feel like overeating most of the time during the day..and i think it is partly since i am alone for most of the day and i'm busy with other things.....but at night, few hours after dinner...i just munch and munch....this wasn't a problem before starting to try to lose weight...i definitely think it is a psychological thing

any advice ?

i was thinking of trying self-hypnosis

I have days like that which you described. I can do really good during the day, and then night comes and it's like, OMG Food!!! I have come to find that I am a self saboteur, and when things are going really good it's those specific nights that I'll crumble and binge. I think it could be that I'm afraid of my success, if that makes any sense? No matter what though, I think the biggest thing is we need to not let it get to us when we do slip up and eat a lot late.

I agree with the exercise in a way, but you do end up being more awake I think when you work out before bed. Drinking tea or a huge glass of water (flavored or not) can help. Try drinking a little of Relax me, and it'll help you go to sleep and that way food is the last thing on your mind.

Stopfat 06-02-2011 04:41 PM

Thanks for suggesting evening exercise--I seriously have a problem with night eating. Last night I ate an entire pizza and drank a bottle of wine to myself. (I shouldn't have gotten pizza, I already know that it's usually a sure-fire binge for me)-
Uh--that's, like, my entire caloric requirement right there, in one sitting!---1600 calories (it was a thin crust pizza, thank goodness.)

I thought, maybe it would help if I started counting calories at dinner--and totaled the day before the next dinner--instead of starting a calorie day with breakfast. I usually am so sick of counting calories by evening that I don't even want to. The big problem with this was that I ate my whole days worth of calories in one sitting last night, and so that would mean I would have to eat nothing until dinner today to keep the numbers right--so it didn't exactly work, because I got really hungry and started eating lentil chips--uh--and now I have no idea how many calories I ate today.

I think the night exercise is a great idea and look forward to trying it....! Good thread.

sheramama 06-03-2011 07:01 PM

That's the story of my failed diet cycle: nighttime binges. A friend of mine suggested to drink tea or 16 oz of water and then chew gum. It keeps the jaws busy.

yoyoma 06-03-2011 07:16 PM

I drink tea during the day, but usually have at least one cup of decaf coffee in the evening (w/SF sweetener and NFPM). It seems more satisfying and helps me fight off the urge to eat.