3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   When did your battle with overeating start? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/202956-when-did-your-battle-overeating-start.html)

babygrant 05-27-2010 03:46 PM

When did your battle with overeating start?

I'm curious to know when everyone else started battling overeating?

Mine would've been around the age of 11 or 12 when I started babysitting. I used to love babysitting because of all the amazing snack foods parents with young kids kept around. Of course I loved spending time with the kids I babysat, but once they were in bed, I was in binge heaven. I would eat chips, chocolate bars, candy, chocolate milk, puding cups, hot dogs...etc etc etc.

I remember once I hit grade 8 in middle school I was thrilled too because I was old enough to volunteer in the school cafeteria. Two or three times a week I had to go and serve lunch and in return I would get a free lunch of all the leftovers. We were able to help ourselves to whatever was left, so most time it would be hot dogs, burgers, nanaimo bars, soup, juice. That was the ONLY reason I helped out in the cafeteria...for the free food.

Once I got a job working full time when I was 16 my meals just went downhill. I would work evening shift so for lunch my mom would give me $2.00 and I would buy a pop and a bag of chips....every single weekday for lunch. Dinner I would eat at work and if I was feeling cheap it would be a pop and chips from the vending machine or I would eat at the restraunt in the store and always had chicken fingers and onion rings with a pop.

therex 05-27-2010 05:28 PM

my overeating started in middle school i suppose. i was old enough to not have a nanny anymore, so i was left at home alone after school. before my mom would control my portions, but now i could eat anything i wanted and i took full advantage. there were also several fast food chains within (no lie) .25 mile from me. jack in the box, macdonalds, kfc, chinese food, hot dogs, even a buffet.. it definitely did not help the situation.

ParadiseFalls 05-27-2010 06:52 PM

Oh man...I don't remember ever NOT overeating. I used to sneak food back to my room and eat in the middle of the night. :(

saef 05-27-2010 09:45 PM

It's hard to tell you what age, but I know it happened when I'd be left alone in the house. I was a latchkey child. But I remember when my parents would go to the grocery store or something. When they were out, I would go searching & getting into things. My family was weird about food, anyway, and people would get their special treats & then hide them away, so no one else could get at them. I'd go looking for these stashed things. Also, after I'd learned to cook, I would bake things while they were gone. (I remember making soft peanut butter cris-cross cookies, in particular.) Which they liked, because there would be a plate of cookies when they returned. But in the meantime, I'd have tasted & licked & eaten all kinds of brown sugar lumps or sugar & butter mixture or cookie dough while making them. No wonder I wasn't very interested in the finished cookies.

babygrant 05-27-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saef (Post 3311760)
It's hard to tell you what age, but I know it happened when I'd be left alone in the house. I was a latchkey child. But I remember when my parents would go to the grocery store or something. When they were out, I would go searching & getting into things. My family was weird about food, anyway, and people would get their special treats & then hide them away, so no one else could get at them. I'd go looking for these stashed things. Also, after I'd learned to cook, I would bake things while they were gone. (I remember making soft peanut butter cris-cross cookies, in particular.) Which they liked, because there would be a plate of cookies when they returned. But in the meantime, I'd have tasted & licked & eaten all kinds of brown sugar lumps or sugar & butter mixture or cookie dough while making them. No wonder I wasn't very interested in the finished cookies.

I just saw your ticker! Amazing job. How did you do it????

saef 05-27-2010 10:07 PM

babygrant, I'll PM you about this, as I don't want to highjack your thread, and I'm interested in other peoples' memories of overeating.

elaine19 05-27-2010 10:35 PM

I became on over eater when I was newly married, our first year was awful, and I turned to food as a friend... I gained 45lbs in 8 months! Anyway, we worked realllly hard on our marriage, read books, talked about everything, and we have stuck together for 16 years, and it gets better every year!!!From year two til now it has been great! But the weight continued to climb, maxing out my weight at 235lbs after my last baby. I was never really bothered by my weight until last November when it struck me that I was actually being an unhealthy role model for my kids, and it had to change... and I am changing.

tea2 05-28-2010 01:40 AM

When I left home. My mother was very careful with my food choices (no pop or sugary cereals and only the occasional treat)...then when I moved out, I gained a bunch.:o It's all me and my bad choices and I think sugar addiction...

jeniansmom 05-28-2010 06:24 AM

Wow. I guess literally from when I was in diapers.
My mother developed adult onset schizophrenia and my father was a drunk (not an alcoholic, it was his choice to drink and in later years he could have a drink or two and stop). My brother is 10 years older than me and my sister 8 years older. I was born during the worst time in my parents' marriage, and by the time I was 18 months old my father had dumped us 3 kids on his mother to raise.
So when I was very young, still in diapers, my brother, at age 11 would go to the store and buy twinkies and things like that to bring back to the house to feed us kids when noone else was feeding us. So from very early on I ate a lot of sweets.
We moved in with my grandmother who had raised her half siblings, then 11 kids of her own, and now was stuck with us. She resented it. She was mean, physically and verbally abusive.
Strong feelings were not allowed in our house. Strong feelings were either met with yelling/hitting or "here have a cookie/brownie and go calm down/be quiet".
Also, my father lived there for awhile and the only interactions I had with him surrounded food. Either pigging out at the big Sunday meals we all ate together, or on the occasions when he'd let me eat a bowl of "his" ice cream with him. Which of course later I started sneaking.
I don't ever remember not stuffing my feelings down. I don't ever remember not sneaking food. I don't ever remember feeling good about myself until I reached adulthood. I've had more self-esteem in the last few years than I've ever had in my life, but those old habits are soooo ingrained. I can do good when I can shake myself out of the mild depression that I've lived with all my life, and when things are going well. But major life stressors derail me for months or years on end.

ElanaRose 05-28-2010 09:41 AM

During Bar Mitzvah season in seventh grade, I kept the same quantity of what I was eating, but the calories in all of that fried stuff was through the roof. Plus, I'm an admitted foodie -- Now I'm in high school, and I probably weigh as much as I did right before eighth grade -- working back towards what I was in seventh grade and fitting into MY Bat Mitzvah dress again. Also, I had a hard time making friends in middle school, and I guess food was something I knew would always be there for me and never judge me. So that was where I turned, I suppose. Now I have a whole cheerleading squad of friends cheering me on as I lose it all! :D

Skittlez 05-30-2010 03:32 PM

Food's always been a huge part of my life. A lot of my family is heavy, esp on my dad's side. Get togethers with them always involved a lot of food and since they lived a few hours away it was always special. We'd go visit and have all kinds of goodies that we didn't normally get at home. Caprisuns, candy, snack cakes, ect. At home my mom was never around and because there were so many of us kids she'd lock up her candy and snacks that we didn't need to be eating, but of course I figured out how to pick the door lock, or sneak in the window. Then when I got old enough I learned how to bake my own snacks. I guess food became a replacement for a loving family, not that my family didn't love me, they just weren't there 99% of the time. Ugh that's depressing :-P

Rochester 05-30-2010 03:33 PM

I am only just beginning to admit that I have a compulsive eating disorder. Very scary. :( Just reading this thread, though, made me less alone and crazy.

To answer the question, when I was about 10 years old, I started to get “weird” about food. I stashed junk food in my bedroom. I’d get up in the middle of the night and binge. When I’d visit a friend’s house, I’d raid the cupboards.

Button 05-30-2010 04:21 PM

I'm another person that doesn't remember not overeating. It's always been an issue for me, and only recently have I begun to take charge of it.

Alita 05-31-2010 05:43 PM

I've always done it as far as I can remember. My mum would always say I ate too much D: she tried her best to stop me but it didn't work. I was a fussy eater as a kid too.

Sheena41 05-31-2010 05:45 PM

My weight issues started when we moved when I was 9. We moved from Texas to Illinois. We spent the winters indoors and I did not have as many friends. I ate out of boredom.