Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #1  

Default Hooters fires 132 lbs waitress for being too fat

Hey everyone!
PLEASE read this crazy story and tell me what you think!!! =)

http://www.examiner.com/x-46457-DC-D...at-for-Hooters
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #2  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

In my opinion, as a business that hires based on appearance, it's their prerogative. Do I agree that a 5' 8" 132 pound woman needs to lose weight? Heck no! But if you don't want to be judged on your weight/appearance (no matter how flawed I think that judgment is), don't work at a job that includes that as a requirement.

Last edited by smisen; 05-20-2010 at 09:19 AM.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #3  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I don't think 132 is fat... but like Smisen said.... not all jobs are created equal. lol
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I think it is crap that she needs to lose weight, but Hooters hires based on appearance and they have that right. This waitress knew the job would be based on her appearance. Personally, I wouldn't subject myself to that, but to each her own.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

They may not have a lot of jobs to choose from in this town. I wouldn't blame the girl for choosing to work there . Maybe she didn't have a lot of choice of where she could find a job. They saw her when they hired her. I think it is a bunch of hooey on the part of the restaurant.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #6  
The Last 10lbs!

Wow. Though I agree that Hooters does have a certain reputation to uphold, I am just shy of 5'9'' and can't imagine what I would look like twenty pounds lighter, even if I was a quarter of an inch shorter. Sick, probably. I'm a size 8 as it is and have no chest, so all my weight is in my lower half. If she's an extra small and they're telling her she needs to lose weight though, I think something is definitely wrong there. I don't think it's an issue of fitness and health at that point. It's unreasonable to tell a girl at 132lbs (who probably has a large chest and carries a lot of weight up top - this is Hooters after all) that is wearing a size extra small that she is too fat for their chain, regardless of what kind of chain it is.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

You take a job in a field like that and it's to be expected. I saw her on the news and she wasn't fat but she definitly wasn't in shape and she was muffin toppin' a bit in her uniform...sooo yeah, so be it.

Also why do Hooters waitresses never have big boobs? ha

"Do you think when someone goes into a interview at Hooters they hand them a bra and say 'here, fill this out'"

Also though, keep in mind, it was supposedly women doing her review. It could of just been some cattiness, on their part.

Last edited by StuffedBunny; 05-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It makes me sick. But you can't really expect much from an establishment *like that*, can you? What warped priorities.

And the thing is, you could be sure that more men would most likely find this woman lots more attractive at 132 lbs, than at 122 lbs. Luckily, this is something I'll never have to deal with.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #9  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

wow...this was interesting. at her height and weight, she's already small...xtra small! i think this might have been some ploy by the people who reviewed her to be sneaky and underhanded, possibly. not all women are supportive and accepting.
yes hooters basically hires you based on appearance, but this is a bit extreme...
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #10  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

She wears an extra small! 5'8" and 132? Did I read that right?

I have honestly never stepped a foot inside the door of a Hooters and never intend to. She was hired originally on her appearance I am sure BUT they told her how great her customer service was. Guess that doesn't mean anything to them.

This girl is about 40 lbs. lighter than me and 6 inches taller! I can't even imagine! They would think I was a blimp... I should go apply just to see the looks on their faces.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #11  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

It said in the article that her state (MI) has an anti-weight discrimination law. Sounds like what they did was (rightfully) illegal.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

What I recall was that they didn't fire her, they just said they'd give her a month to get in shape or they would fire her. Same difference I guess.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even when there are weight discrimination laws, they're usually worded in such a way that appearance-based jobs are excepted. That is descrimination based on weight is illegal "unless weight is a valid requirement of the job."

For example, if you're an actor or in the entertainment field - physical appearance, including body weight is considered a valid requirement of the job.

If the job is about appearance, it's usually consider valid. You can't fire a computer analyst for gaining weight, but you can fire a model or an actress.

No one would be batting an eye if she gained 50 lbs, or 100 lbs, because then it would be ok. Very few people would want to see me in the Hooter's girl uniform (I don't want to see me in the Hooter's girl uniform). It just seems "wrong" because the girl is still seen as small by most standards.

You don't see pregnant Hooter's girls very often, either (and many states have laws against pregnancy job loss too. I don't know what Hooter's policy about obviously pregnant waitresses, but I suspect they're laid off when it becomes too obvious that they're pregnant. Then again I've only been in Hooters a couple times, maybe pregnant and fat Hooters girls are common - but I would guess not).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-20-2010 at 12:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've been to Hooter's once or twice (with the ex and his friend), and actually it was the one in Roseville, but that was probably about 7 years ago. To me it doesn't sound so much from the actual facts in the article that she was reprimanded for being "too fat", it seems they want her to tone up. The writer puts the spin on it that it's about weight not fitness with the title, and the paraphrased "statement" from the waitress.
It's still wrong, but her job does have to do with her physical appearance.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #15  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

The woman is obviously not overweight, but Hooters does have a fit, sexy image to uphold and maybe the 10lbs went to her stomach, thighs or maybe her butt, who knows. When you apply there, I feel it's common sense to know to stay in the greatest shape you can to work there, their uniforms are extremely unforgiving. Just as Pro Sports Team Cheerleaders and Flight Attendants have weight restrictions, this doesn't shock me and feel it's no different.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote