3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   How water helps you lose weight.... Really! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/196467-how-water-helps-you-lose-weight-really.html)

Shytowngal 03-11-2010 12:05 PM

How water helps you lose weight.... Really!

Of course we have all heard that drinking water helps in weight loss, but I guess I never REALLY knew how exactly. I always thought it was more of a tool to help fill you up, and eat less, get rid of some salt hanging out, and make your skin look good.

I came across this explanation of how it benefits your system and aides in weight loss and I thought I would share it. My apologies if this is obvious information that most already knew. But, it made me really understand water's role and now I drink a ton of water!

I copied and pasted my favorite parts, but linked to the entire article at the end.
There are many forms of metabolism going on in your body right now, but the one everyone is talking about it the metabolism of fat. This is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver’s duties is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its total productivity. It then can’t metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when the kidneys were pulling their own weight. If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you’re also setting yourself up to store fat.

Do take heed , though. What is really happening is that your body is flushing itself of the water it has been storing throughout all those years of “survival mode”. It takes a while, but this is a beautiful thing happening to you. As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn’t need. It gets rid of the water it was holding onto in your ankles and your hips and thighs, maybe even around your belly. You are excreting much more than you realize. Your body figures it doesn’t need to save these stores anymore; it’s trusting that the water will keep coming, and if it does, eventually, the flushing (of both the body and the potty) will cease, allowing the human to return to a normal life. It’s true. This is called the “breakthrough point.”

LINK: http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightlos...ight-loss.html

happytobeamomof2 03-11-2010 01:03 PM

really cool article! thank you so much for sharing it... i do drink a lot of water and tea a day so it is encouraging to know it is beneficial beyond what i already kinda knew instintively...

fruitlady 03-11-2010 01:44 PM

Wow, that's very interesting. I just don't like water, it makes me sick to my stomach if I drink it, so I never do. I did lose weight without it though.

mescelestus 03-11-2010 02:19 PM

Not even kidding, I have always wondered about that! Thanks!

jenntx71 03-11-2010 09:08 PM

Great post! I just started upping my water this week and it helps to know that it is going to a good purpose.

diornotwar 03-11-2010 09:54 PM

really interesting! i'm gonna go grab a glass of water right now! lol

constance21 03-11-2010 10:39 PM

Thanks for sharing!! Very interesting!

5factorgirl 03-11-2010 10:48 PM

Wow thanks. That really does make sense! So I am totally not a water person, it makes me feel sick to my stomache but I really do think I am dehydrated. So I am going to start drinking more water for sure.

sbranam 03-13-2010 06:56 AM

Thanks for sharing the article!

unidestiny 03-17-2010 05:29 AM

I've never really liked drinking water, so recently I've started filling up a huge bottle and then putting a sachet of green tea into it so that there'll be the slight taste of green tea to make it less painful.

Plus green tea is loaded with antioxidents and can increase metabolism! Research has shown that if you drink 2-3 cups of green tea a day, you can burn an extra 80 calories!

So while drinking loads of water and green tea, we get to kill two birds with one stone. =)

And it gives me a kick to see my pee come out clear. However weird it may be.

farmchic22726 03-17-2010 11:50 PM

Thank you for this! Like a few others, water makes me sick to my stomach, but I'll just have to get over it and drink, drink, drink water!

Katy1234 03-18-2010 12:13 AM

wow...this is a really neat article!...I just tried drinking 8 glasses of water a day for one week and I lost 8 pounds. Drinking water really does help!

KatehSparrow 03-18-2010 12:16 AM

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing!!

milliondollarbbw 03-18-2010 12:50 AM

Thank you for sharing. :)

when I lost weight a while ago, I was drinking half my body weight in water (i.e., 300lbs = 150lbs=150 ounces). I was able to drink a lot of water without any problem. Lately, my stomach doesn't seem able to hold a lot of water at once, so I have to take it slowly. I am trying to work my way up to 4 bottles of water a day, 16 oz. each. I don't know why this is so hard for me when I know that I am dehydrated very often.

bonnie2009 03-18-2010 01:25 AM

Thanks so much for the reminder! It makes so much sense. I have to remember that I can "dress up" my water with lemon or something like that. Today I just bought my first case of bottled water. I think that will really help.