3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Choosing a goal weight. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/177398-choosing-goal-weight.html)

Optical Goddess 07-23-2009 02:32 PM

Choosing a goal weight.

I know that there are probably numerous threads dedicated to the same thing, but I'm having problems with the 'search' feature. Doesn't like my search words.

As I read the threads of everyone here...there are so many goal weights. I'm 5'7" and would adore to weigh 145...am I actually looking at 150 because i haven't seen 145 for over 10 years....

But I see people choosing 125 at 5'7"...to me that seem so so tiny and then when I compare it to my goal, it causes me to feel like I'm not pushing myself hard enough or I'm not able to get that low.... I haven't weighed 120 since 6th grade.

So, how did you choose your goal weight? I'll admit that it's kind of disheartening when my goal weight is someone else's starting weight.

I just feel like I can't choose something more 'normal'. Iused to be obsessed with 135. It was teh holy grail for me, but now I doubt if I'm ever going to get below 150... ( sigh_

JulieJ08 07-23-2009 02:37 PM

I'm 5'7". The problem is our bodies are so different. People of the same height can be about the same size across a weight range of 20 pounds or more.

I was able to pick my goal because I weighed 130 in the past. But I see pics on here all the time of people who are shorter and weigh more, and I would see them as about my size.

If you've never weighed less before, or even if you have, I would just pick a goal that feels good now, because you can easily change it when you get there if you want. No biggie.

CamiToo 07-23-2009 04:13 PM

I chose my goal weight of 100 pounds because I'm 5'2" with a tiny bone structure. I was that weight in the past and it was just right for me.:)

UniquelyNormal 07-23-2009 04:53 PM

I was a happy 140 for most of my early adulthood. After the college 15, the newly-wed 15 and the unhappy about it 15 I put my goal back at 140. And then proceeded to fly past that goal. I was 132 for a long time. Now two babies later I've reset my goal around 140 cause I figure that is attainable for me. I'd be happy there.

taniquelasse 07-23-2009 04:59 PM

I put my goal at 160, because that's at the upper end of where the height/weight charts claim I should be. Right now, I'd be happy to get down to 180, but I might surprise myself! I remember being pretty healthy around the 170/180 range, so I may end up resetting it when I get down in that direction.

crcossel 07-23-2009 05:52 PM

I am 5'7" and my goal weight is 125. However, I am very small boned. With the wrist test my my thumb and forfinger overlap almost a full inch. Also I've been 125 and felt good.

Candice

rochemist 07-24-2009 11:46 AM

I read it in a book, it seemed reasonable, and with all the vanity sizing these days who knows what size I will be :P

Julietta 07-24-2009 03:41 PM

I'm 5' 7'' too :)

I think the goal weight depends ALSO
  • on the age (I'm 26)
  • on the body frame (I think I have tiny bones, but still some curves )
  • on the starting weight (if I was 200, I would have chosen an higher number... and if necessary change it again later
  • on our "used-to-be" weight (I've peaked at 171lb years ago, then being around 154 for several years... but when I was younger, and had NO PROB with food = no binging or diet-obsessione ecc, I used to be around 136)
SO,
I chose 127, but it's very optimistic... I don't mean it is low, I know people of my height who would look almost "healthly-chubby" with 127... but for my frame, it's just the lowest I can reach (and not even sure I can mantain it) ;)

So I think it's just... up to you! :hug:
anyway, according to ivillage.com, your healthy weight should be between 125 and 165 :carrot:

Idealmuse 07-24-2009 03:46 PM

Mine is base on:

Body Frame - Mine is Large
Fitness/muscle Mass - I work out so have muscle
BMI Chart - 150 is the "top" of the "healthy" range

Mine might be less or more, but I won't know until I get closer.

SweetCurves32 07-25-2009 09:24 PM

My final goal weight is 140. I chose that because it is right in the middle of what is healthy for my height. The higher end I may not be comfortable with, and the lower end I may have to strain myself to sustain. Right now I am ok with 140 being the goal. When I get there, then I will see if it feels right.

Madison 07-25-2009 11:01 PM

Its funny how very different people of the same hight and similar weights can look. I have two friends who are both 5'6". Now one calims she is in the mid 140's, the other closer to 155. The heavier one works out A LOT and her body composition is completely different (has an "athletic" frame) whereas the lighter one carries it all in her thights (saddlebags - her words not mine!). The heavier one looks much smaller to me as a result.

But I know what you mean by seeing people of a similar/same height with much lower "goal" weights. I picked 160 bcos that was the last weight (18 months) ago that was VERY easy to sustain. Lower than that and to the outside world I didnt look any different, but keeping it that low kinda messed with my mind . . . and here I am with an encore performance back to 160 ;)

Also, as I lost weight I was amazed closer to "goal" what a huge difference 1-2lbs made. So, I would just watch & listen to my body, see what feels right for you and settle there :)

Zofia 07-27-2009 09:02 AM

I am so proud of you gals! It is SO important to choose a realistic goal.

Here's why: couple years ago I was overweighted. I went on weightwatcher. Now when I talked to my doctor and somebody from WW they told me according to BMI I should be 175 (I am 6 feet tall) so i set my goal to that.

5 months later I was 200. I thought I looked amazing but I remember the girl from ww telling me keep going youre almost there. So I kept going and hit a plateau at 185 for a whole month. I got sick(tired all the time, somedays i wsnt even able to get out of bed) and was not listneing to my body cause I wanted to reach 175 SO bad and join "the reach your goal thingy for life" at ww. Well I never did, and I gain it all back. looking back now its because my goal was unrealistic formyself. I focused so hard on it that I forgot I lost 40 pounds. After being frustrated I went back into my old habits and started to eat too much again. I didnt maintain because I was mad and sad. WW was amazing and im sure if I would of kept going to the meeting and I would of talked ot someone, they would of probably gave me my status at 185.

Anyways, so second time around, I am not as young and I learned from my mistake. I am proud of you ladies cause you all seem really smart about it. BMI is an indicator only and shouldnt be followed by EVERYONE. Some of us are big girl by nature and cannot acheive their normal weight even if we would starve to death.

So choosing my healthy weight this time was easy, I remember LOVING myself at 200 and feeling great. So guess what my goal is, 200 :)

and like other said you can always recalculate closer to your goal, its not wrong, its being smart :)

Madison 07-27-2009 09:07 AM

Thats a really great attitude Zofia!!! If you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good THAT is the goal in my mind. And I love what you said about being older and wiser and knowing what you want this time .. .:)

Madison 07-27-2009 09:07 AM

Thats a really great attitude Zofia!!! If you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good THAT is the goal in my mind. And I love what you said about being older and wiser and knowing what you want this time .. .:)

Beck 07-27-2009 09:27 AM

I chose 150 because it's right in the middle of the healthy weights according to BMI. I was down to that weight after my second and third pregnancies and felt great.