Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #1  
2 forward, 1 back

Default Orally fixated ... especially at work

After years of gaining and losing the same darn pounds and despite putting forth a strong effort this year, I'm still susceptible to binges at work. I have an office job and for the most part I like my work, but anything remotely boring or stressful makes me want to snack -- and my office is basically a junk food buffet. I do better if I plan my day's food intake, but when I'm sitting there at my desk, I have a ginormous need to have something in my mouth. I bring snacks such as dried fruit and chopped veggies and can go through a pack of gum a day -- I'll chew 'til my jaws are sore -- and if I'm out of those, I go for the less healthy stuff or do something gross like chew on my fingernails. It's as if I can't work properly without tasting or chewing on something or another. It would be so nice to just get over this neurotic obsession with snacking at my desk. Does anyone have any tips?
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

I have the same thing, and found it helps (this sounds really weird, but it's true) to have a tongue ring.

I mean, I'm CONSTANTLY moving it, clicking it against my teeth, etc., and it's basically eliminated my gum chewing. (Used to do it all the time, but got the same jaw soreness.)

I didn't get my tongue pierced for this reason, cuz really, who'd think it would work. It does, though.
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #3  
2 forward, 1 back

Lachelle, it's really interesting you say that because I've thought I'd never get certain piercings because I figured I'd drive myself batty fussing with them. I got a helix piercing last fall and I fidget with that way more than a person should.
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I often find it harder not to binge if there is any food around, at all, like at home or the office. Right now I am hanging out at the hospital (again) and have to plan meal breaks etc, and am not having much trouble with wanting to binge. It even occurs to me to do it (like, now is a great time to binge, you are under all this stress, you deserve it!) and yet total lack of interest.
Last week I could stay off bingeing, and this week, no problem.
No hormone shifts, haven't had a period or a hot flash in months.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/200/165

Height: 5'7"

Default I too have oral fixation...

...especially at work! I have a desk job and will go through my pretzels and carrotts and a pack of gum if I have it... I finally gave up the gum because I made my tounge sore, from blowing bubbles all day, long! LOL! I am happy to know someone else is experiencing this too! I have noticed that if I am really busy, I don't do it, it is more when my work load is slow, or I am stessed or frustrated! Maybe we can figure out a way to turn that energy into a positive?!
sanderk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I have the same problem. I know you mentioned it, but usually gum works for me. Also I drink a lot of hot water-sipping hot water keeps my mouth occupied.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am thinking, what about those things they have for smokers? fake plastic ciggies? Roll that around for a while when these hit.
BTW, the lack of bingeing broke for me, and I had a week of bingeing, when I got a period after 3 months.
Back to day one, that was Saturday
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

hmmm...work is somewhere i typically don't feel the need to over eat, and normally i just eat what i pack for lunch, but i do have times and or places where i feel like i have to be eating.

I think the best thing to do is change your routine or change your outlook. Easier said than done, esp in regards to a job i realize.

There are certian detox plans that can actually curb the desire to over eat. There is always a psychological aspect as well, but modifying your diet over all can help curb the desire to over indulge. I've noticed that when i take supplements of Chorella and Spirulina, i don't feel the need to over eat as much.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #9  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

i plow thru chewing gum. i figure it is better than food but it is not a good habit. you get used to the constant chewing and need to be "doing" something. sometimes drinking hot tea can help or decaf coffee. or go chat with someone for 10 seconds and see how you feel
mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #10  

That's a good idea to drink hot tea to keep mouth occupied.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #11  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Fruit or green tea!
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/240/170

Height: 5'5

I know its gross and probably not good for your teeth but it taken a cheap pen cap and cut it in half to take off the long part so its not sticking out of your mouth,lol and ill just chew on that.But Ive also done where I have taken a tongue barbell and just had that twiddle around in my mouth since I don't have my tongue pierced.But other than that the only thing that I could think of would be if Willy Wonka really had made that Ever Lasting Gobstopper I wouldn't need to keep chewing on my nails or pen caps,lol.
idontlikepie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
hmmm...work is somewhere i typically don't feel the need to over eat, and normally i just eat what i pack for lunch, but i do have times and or places where i feel like i have to be eating.

I think the best thing to do is change your routine or change your outlook. Easier said than done, esp in regards to a job i realize.

There are certian detox plans that can actually curb the desire to over eat. There is always a psychological aspect as well, but modifying your diet over all can help curb the desire to over indulge. I've noticed that when i take supplements of Chorella and Spirulina, i don't feel the need to over eat as much.
Off subject, but I like your quote by Laird. My husband loves watching surfing.

The Chlorella and Spirulina help me a lot, too. I just have trouble remembering to take them in the morning. I try to take them between breakfast and lunch and then I don't feel the need for a morning snack.

I drink a lot while I'm working. I always have a glass nearby. I chew gum sometimes, but it hurts my jaw. I have some green tea mints on my desk that I use when I need to. I think that if you could just break that habit for a day or two, you'll find it gets easier with time. Find ways to distract yourself, like with actually working.

Last edited by wendyland; 04-08-2009 at 01:46 PM.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote