OA or therapy?

• I'm at the point now where I realize that willpower isn't enough for me. I am a compulsive overeater and I need help. What I'm wondering is if I should go to OA meetings or see a therapist? My overeating stems from a specific incident when I was a young adult. I haven't always had this problem and I don't want to live the rest of my life having such a messed up relationship with food!!

I have the feeling that therapy might be more helpful because I can be more in depth with why I'm the way I am....but if OA is a better option, I'm open to that too. Anyone have advice?
  • IMHO therapy is the way to go. I went to a few OA meetings and they didn't really get very deep. It was more of just working the steps & acknowledging you had an issue. Unless you get a really great sponsor (I didn't) that you can tell everything to, you may never get to the root issues.

I'm right there w/ you. I haven't always had food issues. Not sure why but they have obviously gotten out of control & I need to figure out why I am being so self destructive. I'm planning on starting therapy very soon. Good luck.
  • I think I would try both in your position. IF you get the right group and sponsor, might be ideal. IF you get the right therapist, might be ideal. But lots of people I know had to work to find the right therapist, went thru 3-4 before finding someone who was "right". And I know a few people who tried different AA meeting groups (Not OA, don't know anyone personally who has done OA) until they found the right fit.
    Good Luck.