Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #1  

Unhappy I hit rock bottom last night

I ate so much that I actually threw up.

I started well, had an optifast shake for breakfast and lunch and small plate of lean ham. With another shake for dinner that should've been it. I wasn't hungry at all. Not at all.

I am studying a uni degree by correspondance and at the moment I am doing to film related units so I have to watch a lot of movies. I said to my boyfriend "I need to catch up on these movies, lets get some snacks and watch movies for the rest of the day". So we ate a big bag of chips between us, then made satay chicken with cous cous (that I loaded with butter) then started on the oreos. After I had BINGED, after I was already uncomfortably full, I went back for another bowl of satay chicken and cous cous... I struggled to eat it but I kept forcing it down, I don't know why.

I began to feel sick. Really really sick. Half an hour after eating I still felt sick. I could barely move. I struggled to get myself into the shower then it happened.

Sorry for the disgusting details but I really can't believe I let myself get this bad.

I can get through the day so easily with optifast shakes and salad (or when I am not doing optifast, healthy breakfast and healthy lunch). As soon as I get home from work, and it starts getting dark all I can think about is food. In fact if food is readily available, I dont even think about it that much, I just start inhaling it down. I want to stop. I try to stop. Will it ever stop?
lead and feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/158.5/145

Height: 6'1

I know how you feel. I've never gotten to the point where i've thrown up, but i've definitely been to the point where I just WISH i would throw up, because I'm so painfully full. It will happen to all of us from time to time - the important thing is to learn from it. The feeling you have right now? You need to remember that the next time you think you might be about to lose control.

Also, I dont know about the optifast shake thing, but if I only a shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i would probably eat anything and everything I could find too. Maybe it would help if you ate actual FOOD during the day so that you didn't feel the need to make up for it at night.

Bottom line - one night of eating won't derail all of your hard work. You just need to learn from it, understand that thats not how you ever want to feel, and make sure it doesn't happen again (or at least do as much as you can to stop it from happening). Dont beat yourself up too much - it WILL stop and you have total control over what goes in your mouth, even if it sometimes seems like it just jumps down your throat before you can say STOP!
macomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Sorry for the disgusting details but I really can't believe I let myself get this bad.

firstly, dont be sorry. You have NOTHING to be sorry for at all! Also.. dont try to beleive, dont concentrate on it. Right now you're making such a big deal out of a binge, that you're letting it control you. If you forget the binge and just conintue with life, whats the worst that could really happen? dont beat yourself up, one day out of your life cant ruin anything at all. Just try and look at it from a different perspective.

Small steps go a long way!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
but if I only a shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i would probably eat anything and everything I could find too. Maybe it would help if you ate actual FOOD during the day so that you didn't feel the need to make up for it at night.
I have to say that this is the first thing that struck me about your post as well.

Quote:
an optifast shake for breakfast and lunch and small plate of lean ham. With another shake for dinner that should've been it.
That's not a healthy plan. It's depriving your body of needed nutrients and it's probably setting of cravings for real food.

Optifast shakes have what? 100 calories each? So yesterday before your binge, you had maybe 500 calories?

Sweetie that's a DANGEROUSLY low level of calories and nutrients. You are going to permanently damage your body if you don't get yourself off of that plan and into some kind of healthy eating.

I'm seriously not surprised that you binged until you threw up or couldn't stop. Your body is probably crying out for real food and nutrition.

Please, please, please look into a HEALTHY plan that allows you to eat real food in healthy quantities. I promise you that you won't have this feelings if you eat properly.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 146/146/128

Ditto to what the others said. You need real food, nourishing food not those awful shakes that are full of sugar. No wonder you binged. I'd do the same thing if I ate like that. Stop doing those shakes and eat real food like protein, veggies, fruit, etc. I mean all you ate that day was 2 shakes and some ham? WTH? Where's the rest of your food? Your body needs a whole lot more than that regardless of how hungry you were or weren't.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I do the same thing a lot of times, and I've figured out what triggers me... If I don't eat enough during the day, I want to stuff my face when I get home. Based on what you said you ate, that could of happened to you too. That is not much food to eat during a day, I would think it's actually an unhealthy too little amount of food. Try increasing the amount of food you eat daily, and try to get more protein in your diet, the protein will help you curb your hunger feelings... :-)
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #7  

Thanks for your reply but the Optifast program is really my last resort, recommended by my doctor and it is a nutritionally complete program (not the ham.. I'm supposed to have 2 cups of non-starch vegetables but you try that when you have a leg of christmas ham sitting in the fridge)

Binging at night has been a problem for me for years, no matter what I've eaten throughout the day.

I wasn't even hungry when I ate all that.
lead and feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

The Optifast website says a shake has 160 calories. The meal plan recommended by your doctor is three 160 calorie shakes and 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables a day?

Say, for example, the vegetable you choose is green beans--two cups, cooked. That brings your daily calorie total to about 568 calories a day.

Anybody would crave more food on that plan. This isn't conducive to weight loss OR good health.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Your doctor recommended it, but are you getting actual medical supervision while you're on it? Or did he just say "try this"?

I know you say it's your "last resort" but truly truly it isn't. There are other options. And obviously it's NOT working for you if it causes you to go home and binge until you vomit.

I really really think you'd be better off with a plan that allowed you some real food.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-08-2008 at 11:16 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default optifast not a plan

I have to agree with everyone else who says you aren't getting enough food to stop your cravings. Since you haven't posted your weight or other details, I have to wonder why its a "last resort"

I guarantee you that the only diet you need to start with is to eat healthy.
It is HARD not to binge, even when you have eaten well and are not hungry.
It is IMPOSSIBLE not to binge when you need calories because you haven't eaten enough in the day.

I am losing about a pound a week right now, even without enough exercise regularly, just by not bingeing. It is really hard sometimes. Last night someone put a large platter of brownies and carrot cake squares down on a table right in front of me. I had to move away from the cake. There is no way I have enough will power to sit in front of it. I didn't want it, but knew I would eat it if there.

Stay with this group, read old posts about coping with binge feelings, maybe consider overeaters anon. Give yourself the gift of working through this the right way. You deserve it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #11  

I gave up on those kind of diets a long time ago because they produced similar "results" (aka, fast weight loss followed by binging) in me, as they DO WITH MOST PEOPLE.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/162/130

Height: 5'6

when these girls tell you that your not taking in enough calories during the day they are completely right. your body needs nutrients to keep itself going, and depriving yourself of them always backfires eventually.

When you continuously run your body on less than it needs it will eventually rebel. Its a natural response that stems from our ancestors living in the wild. When the body is deprived of food your mind starts to focus solely on food, and can even make us physically ill, literally forcing us to find a source of nutrients. no matter how strong your will is, your body is stronger, and you will eventually binge.

Its best to just do it moderately, and I know youve probably heard this a million times and it sucks, but its true. Eat lean, "clean" foods that fill you up and can be fully used by your body. After a while the cravings to binge will get easier to control.
figureskater546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead and feather View Post
I ate so much that I actually threw up.

I started well, had an optifast shake for breakfast and lunch and small plate of lean ham. With another shake for dinner that should've been it. I wasn't hungry at all. Not at all.(
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I do the same thing. I'll be stuffing my face long after I'm so full I can hardly move.

I have a long standing habit of starving myself to lose weight and what you described happens to me now and then. What the other members have been saying is exactly right. You might not be hungry, but your body is in starvation mode so it will keep craving food long after you're full because it doesn't know when it will get food again!

First, let me say that doctors know NOTHING about nutrition. The fact that your doctor put you on a 500 cal/day diet proves my point. The diet is setting you up to fail because it has pushed your metabolism into starvation mode. That means your body is conserving energy and calories and is actually burning less than it used to.

The starvation will also lead you to binge more and when you do you will gain more weight from the binge than you would have in the past because your body is squeezing every little calorie it can get out of the food you eat...saving it for a rainy day.

Finally, those type of diets never keep the weight off. Once you stop the starvation you will put all of the weight right back on because the meal plan doesn't teach you healthy eating.

If you want successful weight loss with professional input I would suggest seeing a nutritionist. They can put you on a healthy plan that will take off the pounds without putting your health at risk.
Northgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #14  

Ilike Geneen Roth's quote: for every diet there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Therefore constant moderation is the ONLY way---I truly believe that, having spend a lot of years swinging from chronic overeating to extreme dieting.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #15  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

There is no way a doctor would tell you to eat less than 600 calories a day.

Even on slimfast you are supposed to eat a Healthy full sized dinner and have a few snacks during the day. And I think the slimfast shakes are like 300 calories...

I'm doing the fat smash- it's working for me- maybe you could check into it- no disgusting shakes and plenty of fruits and veggies.

If you think you are eating out of boredom try not to plop in front of the TV at night- good luck.

One more thing- you might be eating so fast you aren't giving yourself time to feel full- or you just like the flavor- you might want to slow down and savor the flavors

Last edited by beerab; 12-18-2008 at 07:10 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote