Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #16  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

Circebee,
You are making me giggle. Sweet advice. I will remember it next time.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Carbs of any kind can be triggers for me, but so can food banning. It creates unbearable "forbidden fruit," temptation, making it all the more alluring because I'm not supposed to have it.

I think in all my past diet attempts (whether I called or considered them lifestyle changes or not) - I expected perfection from the start - especially from the start. The first months were supposed to be my most strict and my most successful, and any imperfection meant I was destined for failure.

Then I started looking at my eating as a skill to learn - like playing the violin. You don't pick up a violin and begin playing perfectly - you stink at first until you get the hang of it - which can take years and years to become really good. So I don't have to be perfect, I just have to be better, and most of all there's no need to feel guilty EVER where food or exercise is involved. It's not a moral issue - Unless you're eating people - nothing you can eat can make you "bad." That single change really I think has made this time different than before. The biggest reason I abandoned weight loss attempts in the past is feeling like a failure. I was failing, so I might as well stop trying. Well, there IS NO failing this time, so there's no reason to stop. Even if I go off plan for days on end, it isn't a tragedy, and it isn't a personal failing, and getting back on track isn't "starting over," it's just keeping my goals in perspective. It's like if you're learning the violin (or knitting, or crocheting or any skill) if you spend a few days away from it (or a year) there's no reason you can't pick up where you left off and keep learning. I really think it's all the "drama" we combine with weight loss that plays a huge role in why it's so difficult. We make it harder than it has to be, by dragging all this emotional baggage into it. If you wouldn't feel guilty and "bad" about dropping a stitch in your knitting, there's no reason to feel guilty and bad for eating a brownie (or an entire roast hog, for that matter).

There's nothing wrong with avoiding trigger foods. There's also nothing wrong with planned indulgences, or even the occasional "oops, I didn't mean to eat that."

Last Thanksgiving I made chocolate muffins from a box of devil's food cake mix and a can (about 16 oz) of pumpkin (not pie filling, plain pumpkin). You mix it together (no water or other liquid, it's really thick) and put them in a muffin tin to bake (I don't remember how long I baked them, but the recipe is on the hungry girl website, and I think it's on a thread here someplace too).

They were great. Now, I still could have eaten too many - but taking them to the dinner at my MIL's helped solve that - no leftovers. I didn't frost the muffins, but took a chocolate chip cream cheese the non-dieters could spread on as a frosting if they wanted. Hardly anyone used the cream cheese, and the chocolate muffins were a bigger hit with the kids than the frosted sugar cookies.

Whatever you decide, DON'T look at it as a great sacrifice. If it's going to make you feel like you're suffering, eat the darned brownies. If you can look at it as something they want, but you don't - that's great and your first step. Find things that are good for you and taste great. Ha they're eating "crappy" brownies while I'm eating the freshest darned blackberries that I could buy. They're expensive, they're tastey and they can't have any (poor them). If blackberries aren't your thing, find some other healthy decadence that is just for you and ideally a bit of a splurge - you're pampering, not depriving yourself.

It may sound silly - but creating your own "spa" at home, really can make an amazing difference (even if it's mostly in my imagination).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-05-2008 at 12:34 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #18  

Oh and for the record - I'm still slipping on a lot of those steps. If this were the violin and not weight loss, everyone would have to plug their ears, because I still "stink" at staying on plan, but I don't have to be perfect, I just have to be better. One tiny step at a time, and I've "failed" (by my old definitions) off 60 lbs.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-03-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #19  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Kaplods, if you WERE going to eat people, which forum here at 3FC would contain the tastiest members? Those lean exercisers, the low-carb ladies, or the freshest-on-the-vine vegans? Or, maybe the spicy Alternachicks!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #20  

If the Alternachicks are spicy - I'd have to choose them. I love my spicy food! I even add cayenne to my lemonade (well only when I've got a sinus infection, but as far as decongestants go, cayenne lemonade is a lot tastier than Robutussen).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-04-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circebee View Post
Kaplods, if you WERE going to eat people, which forum here at 3FC would contain the tastiest members? Those lean exercisers, the low-carb ladies, or the freshest-on-the-vine vegans? Or, maybe the spicy Alternachicks!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #22  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

It's not a moral issue - Unless you're eating people - nothing you can eat can make you "bad."
Another classic kaplods concept!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #23  

I've never claimed to be sane (sanity is for wimps).
Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #24  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I have to agree about everything kaplods mentioned, from sanity to brownies.

I think the most successful step to weight loss isn't infact a healthy diet (it does help) but a healthy mind.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #25  

I love all the ideas!!

Depending on how I've been the past couple of days.. If I was pretty on-track I would probally go ahead and treat myself to 1 brownie, but make a point to sit with my family while eating it to enjoy not only the sweets but the company.

Sometimes if I feel like balancing the "bad" with something "good", I'll go take my dog for a little walk around the block or I'll do a few situps. That way the next morning, instead of beating myself up for eating junk.. if I feel a little bit of a burn, I know I gave my muscles a good little workout!

If I knew the brownies would lead me to a binge.. I would leave the area where they are eating for a little bit!! A bubbly bath, or book, or t.v., or jumping online, walking the dog.. so its not right there, helps me a lot.

I know its been a couple days since you posted! Let us know how it went
bekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
I think the most successful step to weight loss isn't infact a healthy diet (it does help) but a healthy mind.
Very profound! I never thought of it before in that way but its so true. I really think that is what's different for me this time around.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #27  
eat less, move more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I really think it's all the "drama" we combine with weight loss that plays a huge role in why it's so difficult.
This is the quote that sticks with me. I love it. I'm going to write it down and remind myself of it every day.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #28  
eat less, move more!

Oh, and i haven't touched the brownies. Of course they made a double batch and both of them have been eating them regularly, but there are still plenty in there. I just walk by them and don't think about them too much.

One struggle down!