Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

Default not too thrilled with myself

I've gone for two months (the whole time I've been dieting) without binging, and I thought my relationship with food was substantially better than it was before. Then the Cool Whip entered the house. yesterday I bought a tub of fat-free Lite Cool Whip to put on top of some oat pancakes (yummy!) -- I had never tasted Cool Whip before, and I tried a little taste before I put it on the pancakes. It was maybe the most delicious thing I've ever tasted?

So I kept sneaking spoonfuls of it all day, and lo, I woke up early this morning and sneaked out of bed to finish the last of it with a spoon. Typical binge behavior -- exactly the same thing I used to do with cookies and crackers.

The caloric effects of this binge weren't bad (about 300 calories in the whole container, and once I realized I couldn't trust myself with it, I budgeted those into my day -- I should have just thrown it away though!), but even though this binge didn't break my diet, I'm so disappointed that I haven't lost the binging behaviors. Does it ever go away? Will I eventually start binging on carrots? Or, I can only pray, stop binging altogether?
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Binging is something that isn't cured overnight. You shouldnt be disappointed, just look at it this way ... two months without a binge in comparison to you're one bad day just shows that you have come along way. Maybe you'll go three months now and maybe you'll slip up then, but you're still building a new healthy habit to replace an old one.Even fit healthy people overindulge every so often...
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I think there's something about the chemicals in that kind of stuff that makes you want it like that. I can have real whipped cream and not react that same way.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #4  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I have learned the same lesson with light whipped cream. Yup, I can eat the can in two days. Argh.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh rubbytummy, you are doing so great!!

I know for me, I have been successful on a plan for longer than 2 months and lost quite a bit of weight only to have my old binging ways come back with a vengeance and gain it all back. I am hoping that now that I have started a more realistic plan and have incorporated formal exercise, I will be a little more binge-proof.

I expect that I will always have the inclination to gorge myself on food at times. But I think the BIGGEST lesson I'm trying to learn here is how to pick up the next day and not turn a one-time binge into a downward spiral. It's GREAT that you are so in tune with what's going on, and so willing to leave the ffcoolwhip at the store for now since you know it's a weakness.

I think the longer we keep on plan and do what makes us healthy, the less we'll have these struggles. At least I hope so!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #6  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
I have learned the same lesson with light whipped cream. Yup, I can eat the can in two days. Argh.

Same here.. I bought it once and it was hard to leave it alone. I haven't bought any since then :/
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #7  
=D

Man whipped cream is a huge downfall for me. I like it with everything from doritos to with tuna in sandwiches (only eaten them on 2 or so occasions but MAN, were they good) - don't knock it till you try it! Well, better yet, don't try it....

One of my problems with whipped cream is that it isn't overly filling so I could probably eat half a can without feeling remotely satiated. Probably because it's not like a starchy, filling carb (or something like cake etc) that would fill me up quickly.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #8  
=D

On a slightly different topic..was it kraft cool whip lite? if so, I'd be worried about more than just the calories.. :

"INGREDIENTS:
WATER, CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE***, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATES, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)."

http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrit...-fat-49157.htm

**"Sorbitan monostearate is used as an emulsifying agent in cake mixes, icings, baked goods, puddings, imitation whipped cream, hemorrhoid creams, and creams to treat dry skin. "

http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/polysorbate_80.html

Yeesh talk about a mouthful of chemicals and trans fats. I didn't know it was that sinister.

Last edited by mazza; 10-15-2008 at 12:59 AM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Yuck, I glanced at the label but didn't notice how truly sinister it was. Cool Whip has changed their ingredients, though, so they contain no trans fats -- I always check for trans fats, and would never eat anything that contained them.

Cool Whip is exactly the reason I live 90% of the time by a "no fake foods!" rule. Guess it's time to up that to 100% of the time.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

Those habits will go away in time. I still have those binge moments. But they do go away.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6.5

I can't even make it a week without binging...how do you guys do it?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote