Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #61  
Chel

Height: 5'5"

vday-It's great that you can keep them under control that's the battle. Great goin'!

drina- that's great! I can barely wait til I get to that point. Feelin' anxious is a tough one, isn't it. I read on another thread (can't remember where)- there was a lady that said in order to get thru a binge she had to realize that she was just gonna have to feel it... anxiety, sad whatever it was instead of trying to eat it away.

Shay- I know, hon... it sucks, doesn't it? You want to stop, say you're gonna stop but then can't stop. It's a terrible feeling but ya know what... we will get there! We really will. And it really does help to get it out somehow by writing it or whatever... never feel like you can't post it here. But if you don't feel comfortable with that, maybe start a journal or something.

Dana - YAY You really did great! That's the time ya wanna go nutso diggin' for some bingin' food. That's great that you could keep it under control!

ash- DAY 8!!! HOLY COW! That's great! Super job on the great mango escape!

Birgit- That's a super way of looking at it... I've been a little depressed that I haven't lost anymore pounds on the scale for like 4 weeks now. But instead of I've only lost 6 lbs... I should look at it like HEY, I've lost 6 lbs! I stopped gainin', right?A chocolate bar is nothing... it's when we have 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 that's the problem. You did great!
That's so cool- about weather and clothing... that's actually a quote on my blog under "stuff people say" It's something runners say. And it's so true.
Get your butt to work.

Well, guys, I'm not counting yesterday as a success. I had pizza, a snickers, a snack cake and a dr. pepper... in about an hours time. I did however, put my rear to bed so no middle of the night binging! That's something, right? I'm supposed to weigh in tomorrow... I would really like to move the ticker... but I doubt it's gonna happen. Oh well, at least I haven't given up all hope... like my daughters new saying (from Meet the Robinsons) KEEP MOVING FORWARD!
today's a new day
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #62  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Chel, are you kidding? That quote is on your Blog? That's really interesting - I thought it was just something my Dad made up. He was always full of all these interesting little tidbits and made up all kinds of stuff - most of them funny as all getout. He was a sailor on merchant ships when I was little (mid 1950's) and the saying about weather and clothing came from that time. It was mostly about making sure you had your raingear and mitties with you to be sure you could keep the ship steered in the right direction. Come to think of it, that's still what it's about, isn't it? It's funny though, I've never heard anyone else use that phrase except for people who know me or my family. Guess I don't know too many runners...

Anyway, I am now here at my desk - having had an absolutely awesome walk to get here. I am soooo glad I did this! The whole world is white, and quiet - except for the occasional sound of snowshovel scraping on driveway and people saying "Good Morning" to one another. I just love where I live...

Chel, you WILL get this binge-thing whipped - I just know it! I've forgotten - are you an OAer? If not, would you consider it? I highly recommend it...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Hi all! I had a sucessful day yesterday of no binging, but mainly because my teeth hurt! I went to the periodontist and had my gums worked on. One of the long lasting effects of my old ED is that my teeth and gums are ruined. I had a really good checkup though and will be having some more work done on my mouth this month. It is a step I'm taking in trying to take better care of myself. I think I need to do that. One good thing is, when I have my mouth worked on, it keeps me from eating too much! ha! Today I'm feeling better and am already having to fight off cravings for a cake that is in the employee breakroom. I ate my breakfast though, and will eat a healthy lunch. I don't want to eat the cake, b/c it is homemade and I know I'll only go back for more. So anyway, one sucessful night under my belt and working on today. Send me good vibes chicks! Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #64  
Birgit

Lainey, coming your way...

Hugs,
Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

Hi, ladies!

Yesterday was day #1 for me.

I'm staying strong by sticking to my 'no eating carbs alone' rule, and by REALLY thinking about all the decadent GOODIES (food and non-food) that I promised myself for each week binge free! The goodies are things that I wouldn't normally splurge on with my tight budget. But for being good to myself, I'm going to 'allow' myself these little rewards Thinking about them is enough to kill the binge urge every time!

Amongst the goodies (just for clarification purposes) are cherries , a Starbucks skinny latte, a pedicure, and hair color.

Technically, this week isn't going to be a full 7 days, but I'm counting it anyway...just to get me off to a great start!

Have a great Thursday, everyone!

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 02-07-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 256/250/180

Height: 5'10"

Good afternoon, all!

I'm happy to say I made it though my day alone yesterday binge free!!! It wasn't easy. And in my mind I was completely planning it & wanting it, but I stopped myself & ate on-plan. This is the first time that I've had a binge free day being home alone in probably 6+ months. So, I'm happily on day 5 today.

I hope everyone is having a good day today. Congratulations to all of you that are doing so well. I know that we can all do this!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

ClydieCat,

Good for you! That definately took strength and dedication

on your 5 days!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Chel, sounds like you have a wise little girl! Hope your day is going well! That pizza and snickers will be a distant memory soon enough. Good luck with your weigh-in!

Birgit, what a great idea to walk to work. How much snow did you get? I bet that gave you an even better workout!! Where in VT do you live, if you don't mind my asking? I know I'm not very far from VT but I haven't been up there at all since I moved to MA. I'm thinking some snow activities over spring break might be fun. Anyway, sounds like a great day for you so far, keep up the good work!

Lainey, : to you! Hope your teeth are feeling better and you can resist that cake.

Penelope, we all know you can do it, and so do you! Sounds like you're doing great so far, stay strong girl!

Clyde, congrats on day 5! I know what you mean about bingeing when alone- when I moved into my own apt there was no one to watch and no one to feel embarrassed around- and I gained 15 lbs in no time. Congrats on staying strong in a situation that's been tough for you!

I just had a great workout (and sweat like heck, thank gosh I don't mind it as much as I used to!) my stomach is growling even though I'm not that hungry, so I"m going to have a nice healthy lunch and go to a coffee shop and get some work done. So i think i'm workin' on day 7, which I'm pretty excited about. Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by djs06; 02-07-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #69  
Birgit

Penelope, sounds like a good plan of rewards. Good for you!

Dana, I live in the Champlain Valley, a few miles north of Middlebury. Used to live in Boston, but had the good sense 5 yrs ago to "run away from home" and relocate to this gorgeous part of the world. Best thing I ever did. I LOVE it here!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 151/151/139

Height: 5*7

day four of no bingeing! woot woot!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #71  
Chel

Height: 5'5"

penelope- That's a great idea to give yourself a little something for every week you're binge free. I may just have to be a copy cat and give that a shot. You can do it!

clydiecat- being alone is so tough. You did fantastic! Day 5! That's so good. You are doing so good!

djs- she is one great kid! She's everything a mom could ask for and more!
Good job! Doesn't a good sweat keep you motivated!

lainey- ouch... funny how we look at things isn't it? I'm in pain but HEY, at least I can't overeat! Sending good vibes chica! the cake is evil... the cake is evil... you will not eat the cake... you will not eat the cake...

Birgit- I love the snow and that atmosphere it creates. It's just so peaceful. It reminds me of when I was a kid and playing with my brothers... last night Sis and I went out to play after dark and it was like I was 7 years old again...
I'm not an OAer but I've certainly thought about it. I'll have to check it out.

nyk- WOOT! WOOT! INDEED!

So, hey, I didn't gain any weight. I'm still at 172. Hey, that's okay. Last night I attacked a pizza hut pizza and breadsticks with the husband and had a dr. pepper and a darn snack cake thing. DARN IT! One problem I'm having is that we don't have any groceries. We had to wait funtil J could cash his check and the bank was closed due to the snow. Then, he didn't get home til late last night and it was quicker to grab a pizza then to go to the store and get something and come home and cook it. Now, I feel all hung over from the binge.

So, I'm going to get rid of all of my fat summer clothes! Everything that is my size right now at least, I'm taking to goodwill. I WILL NOT BE THIS SIZE IN THE SUMMER! That'll give me some motivation, huh? It can make a gal pretty nervous but I need to do something. Then, I'm going to copy penelope and give myself a little something for every week I'm binge free.

On Oprah yesterday, that had a pack rat family on. I wanted to tape it for J but I couldn't find a blank tape. Peter Walsh has a book out called Does this Clutter Make My Butt look fat. I'm gonna check it out. Our house isn't near as bad as that families... but if I keep letting it go it can be. J's dad's house is like that... and he has a cousin that's even worse... it must run in the family.

Anyway, guys, I hope you all are having a good day. And thanks so much for all of you encouraging words!!

Last edited by project chel; 02-08-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 256/250/180

Height: 5'10"

I hate to admit, but I have to... I slipped last night. It wasn't an awful binge as I have had in the past, but it was bad enough. But two things came out of it that I would have NEVER done in the past. Even though I binged, I held myself accountable & wrote down EVERY BITE. I would never have admitted to myself how much I actually ate before.

Second, I didn't let it completely derail me. I got up this morning & worked out for 20 minutes on the elliptical. I would have never done that before & usually one binge would mean 10 binges. I have to stop it right now & am going to.

So, I didn't quite make my week binge-free. And I don't know for sure what the trigger was. That is what I am trying to figure out still.

Here I am at day one, again.

Congrats to all of you who are still going strong!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #73  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Hi everyone,
Thanks Birgit, djs06, Ashory, and Chel. I definitely needed the hugs and kind words. Yesterday was better and so is today. I really think the issue is that I have never actually tried to stop or prevent a binge. Maybe once. In the past I would just binge and binge and binge. It got really hard and I just gave up. Also I'm not dealing with the issues behind the bingeing. I know what they are. I'm not ready to seek professional help so I plan to go ahead and purchase the first Geneen Roth learning package today. I wish there were other support groups besides OA because I refuse to believe I am powerless over food. For now the Chicks in Control will be my support group. Thank you so much!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #74  
Birgit

Hi Shay, I understand what you mean about never having actually tried to stop a binge. I was pretty surprised too, recently, when I actually thought about what I was about to do (eat) and stopped it BEFORE it happened. I'd never done that before. Always in the past, when temptation struck, I went with it. A few days ago, I didn't, and it taught me a valuable lesson: I actually CAN decide not to give in to temptation. I CAN make better choices for myself. And so can you!

Clydie, you are describing real progress - good for you! Our recovery from eating compulsively doesn't always take a linear path - sometimes the path takes a few surprising turns. Looks like that's the case for you. Keep on going - you're on the right track.

Nicole - Yahoo, Girl! We are so proud of you!

Chel- first of all, good for you for not gaining weight. Sometimes the scale not moving in the wrong direction is real progress. Secondly, wow - that's a pretty drastic and courageous step you're taking in getting rid of all your large size summer clothes. YOu really are in throw-out mode, aren't you? It certainly would be a motivating factor to keep on working on weightloss if you know you'll have to run around in your wool turtleneck sweater in August cuz that's the only thing that'll fit you. Hey, I have an idea - why not tape that sweater to the fridge?? You go, Girl. Get rid of all your summer clothes because I know you will enjoy shopping for smaller sized shorts and tank tops when the time comes.

Doing well here. No signs of binge-temptations rearing their ugly heads, and I'm a happy girl. See ya's later...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #75  

i hav been bingeing for probably 10 years and i am fineally facing how it is @#! with every aspect in my life.i buy a nice piece of clothing and then i cant wear it because a few days later i have eaten my way out of it. i am so messed up about food that i dont even have a clue about what to eat anymore,but like someone else has posted i really overeat when i am alone,and all my girlfriends know that i "love to pigout" so i am the one they call and it eggs me on and all i do is ***** about wanting to lose weight but then i just eat and eat and eat.i have been seriously thinking about overeaters anon.but am too scared to go so i have turned here.i feel not so alone.
Closed Thread