3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   BINGE FREE WEEK, July 30th Start (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/119215-binge-free-week-july-30th-start.html)

RocknRoll 07-30-2007 11:27 AM

BINGE FREE WEEK, July 30th Start

This is a thread to challenge ourselves to remain binge free for one week. Some of us make it, and some of us don't, but we all give it our best effort. It doesn't have to be an entire week. Some of us take it hour-by-hour. Whatever you can do, come here to share your successes and your struggles. Together, we are all stronger!

Please refrain from mentioning any specific foods because it sets some people off on a binge. If you feel the need to mention food, head on over to Cyber Purgers and confess away.

This is a thread open to all, don't hesitate to jump in anytime!!! Newbies are very much welcomed!!!

Good luck and much strength!

Let's do it!!!

Ok well this week is sort of special for me! Today is my 97th binge free day so that means this Thursday is the big 100 :dizzy:

Ianthe 07-30-2007 12:16 PM

97 days!!! WOW!! A carrot for you, hehe: :carrot:

Considering bingeing is currently my main problem, I am so totally going for this. Thank goodness I haven't yet today! It's hard to define bingeing differently than just having a bit too much sometimes, technically that is. But in my mind I know what is a binge and what is not. I'm not following any diet plan. I just want to get control of this for now. :D

Ann72 07-30-2007 01:31 PM

Hi all!

Can I join? I think I'm one of those people who have to take it hour by hour right now, but I'd love to join the group and aim for a week without bingeing.

Thanks,
Ann

RocknRoll 07-30-2007 01:47 PM

hour to hour, minute to minute, doesn't matter how long or how short you remain binge free. We are here with open arms to help everyone! I have read a lot of your posts Ann and I really wish you the best of luck this week!

Ianthe- thanks for the carrot!! He happens to be my favorite :)

I read that some people want a general chat thread. I don't see why not... we could also just general chat in here as well!

ODAAT 07-30-2007 01:56 PM

Hi RocknRoll,

One of the reasons I was thinking of a general chat is that I often talk about specific foods, and have accidently written posts that might be triggers to others. I'd hate to do that again, and would feel 'safer' writing somewhere where I'm able to say anything without worrying. I'm awful for remembering foods and if this is a trigger free place I wouldn't want to accidently break that rule.

Or I could stick a post-it to the screen to remind me hehe.

Well done on 97 days, do you feel a lot better for it? 100 days is a big milestone, I remember being very pleased when I reached my 100 days without a drink. Day 32 without binging today. Been a hungry day, but I went to a chat room to take my mind of it.

Also got OH to phone the chair of a local OA meeting. Got to phone back tomorrow, but I might actually get to a meeting!

RocknRoll 07-30-2007 02:09 PM

O I did not even think about food being in the general chat! Ok then, I am totally for a general chat! I feel a million times better for being binge free. Its like I am a different person. My day is no longer dictated by the food in my stomach and for once I can eat and stop.

100 days just seems so long!

searsha 07-30-2007 04:10 PM

congrats RocknRoll

Hi RocknRoll,

Great big congrats to you on being 97 days binge-free. You inspire me. Only another binge-er can really understand what a WONDERFUL achievement that is.

I really needed to hear your message today RocknRoll, because I’ve been bitten by compulsions to eat ever since last night, all to do with not looking after myself. But hey. I didn’t eat. I got through it and logged on here to read such positive stuff!

I’d love to be part of this binge-free week thread. I’m 35 miraculous days binge-free now, and so intensely grateful to all you people, to OA, and to my Higher Power.

Like others have shared here today, I can only handle this one-hour-at-a-time. I can kind of cope with that, whereas anything longer makes my head hurt! And the miracle is that all these tiny moments build up.

Today I was tired and negative and felt something was ‘missing’.

And it was! Compulsive overeating is what I ALWAYS relied on during negative times. And it worked. Or so I thought. It worked to take the horrible feelings away, but hours later, I was left with the devastation of having hurt my body AGAIN, the guilt for breaking the ‘diet’ and those horrible feeling still lurking around in the mess!
So, in fact, binge eating did not work. Feels good to see that in print. They say the truth will set me free.

Love the idea for a general thread too where I could share about food if needed.

Wishing everyone well.

Ianthe 07-30-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by searsha
Compulsive overeating is what I ALWAYS relied on during negative times. And it worked. Or so I thought. It worked to take the horrible feelings away, but hours later, I was left with the devastation of having hurt my body AGAIN, the guilt for breaking the ‘diet’ and those horrible feeling still lurking around in the mess!
So, in fact, binge eating did not work. Feels good to see that in print. They say the truth will set me free.

This is why it sucks so bad, because it works! It makes me feel so much better, damn. But what other way is there to get rid of these feelings and emptiness? I have read lists and lists of alternate activities, but they are drops in the bucket to the wave that is bingeing.

I will live with and sit with these emotions that kill me, and then maybe it will make me a better and thinner person.

ODAAT 07-31-2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianthe (Post 1796420)
This is why it sucks so bad, because it works! It makes me feel so much better, damn. But what other way is there to get rid of these feelings and emptiness? I have read lists and lists of alternate activities, but they are drops in the bucket to the wave that is bingeing.

I will live with and sit with these emotions that kill me, and then maybe it will make me a better and thinner person.

When I first tried to give up Alcohol, I tried everythingh to fill that 'void'. After several unhappy and unsuccessful months, I learnt that there isn't anything that will take that place.

I can say that over time, the hole gradually shrinks. I still fill that emptiness in a bad moment, but day to day, I no longer feel dependant on alcohol, or now on food.

I suppose in the long run this is for the best - if we could find something to fill the void we'd only end up with another unhealthy crutch.

leah_0600 07-31-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODAAT (Post 1796852)
When I first tried to give up Alcohol, I tried everythingh to fill that 'void'. After several unhappy and unsuccessful months, I learnt that there isn't anything that will take that place.

I can say that over time, the hole gradually shrinks. I still fill that emptiness in a bad moment, but day to day, I no longer feel dependant on alcohol, or now on food.

I suppose in the long run this is for the best - if we could find something to fill the void we'd only end up with another unhealthy crutch.

I hope it gets easier for me then and that the hole shrinks! because all i can seem to think about right now is food lol. I will not give in though!!! and i'm going to the gym soon, i'm hoping that will take my mind off it :)

Ianthe 07-31-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODAAT

There's got to be a healthy crutch out there... maybe, hmm. At the moment all I have are distractions to keep me from a binge (#1: computer), which I am eternally grateful for, but they don't satisfy the longing.

For some reason I had never thought of counting binge-free days like so, even though I did that for cutting (388 days self-injury free!!! :D). So I am going to take this approach now. Instead of focusing on weight, weight loss, etc. I will focus on getting control of these ghastly binges. I see it as a total shift of focus. Instead of focusing on wanting to "look good" I will focus on gaining control. Which then, as we all know, leads to heightened self-esteem, and all kinds of other good stuff.

So here I am at 1 day binge free! :carrot:

Ann72 07-31-2007 08:55 AM

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yesterday was binge free!!!! YAY! My first abstinent day and my first day witout compulsive overeating, binge eating, or emotional eating. One day at a time, right???

As for filling that void, there are some things...journaling, talking to a friend, praying, exercising, reading, attending an OA meeting, attending a religious/spiritual meeting, or coming here and chatting with your online friends.

I'm new and still trying to figure out what my void is and why I use food to fill it. For me, I think I'm lacking spiritually. I'm trying to figure it all out...day by day.

Searsha--Just wanted to send a hug your way. You are such a BIG reason for my success yesterday. You are so supportive and motivating towards others. I look forward to your insightful, open, honest posts. Hang in there, you're doing so well. Lean on us the way that we've been able to lean on you. All you have to do is remain binge free for today. Only today.

aud 07-31-2007 01:43 PM

Hi Everyone and tx so much for being here!:hug: I also thought a general chat would be great - it was getting lonely here in "Binge Free" as it seemed at times, I was the only one not making it thru the week!:o I also am guilty of mentioning trigger foods in here so apologies and tho' I haven't read it yet - saw a Chat Thread where I'll take those mentions to from now on.

Crutch? I'm gonna shoot for HEALTHY crutches this second/minute/hour/hours/days/week/LIFE!:carrot: (Love this guy too.) Gotta face it - I overdo anything I do - accepting that and mooooving on . . . I plan to overdo NOT overeating. The thing that helped me last week was BREATHING . . . seriously BREATHING. In and out. Pausing to BREATHE. I also HATE exercising so I plan to overdo a LOT of that - hopefully will give me pause b4 I start cramming the face, ya know? It'll be like - WHOA auddie!!!! - why negate all the beautiful exercise that you dearly HATE to do.

Will also be relying on my secret lover: :carrot: My God the things that Vegetably-STUD does for me!;)

Ann72 08-01-2007 09:02 AM

Yesterday was Day 2 without a binge. YAY!

aud--I'm a huge fan of breathing. I think it really helps focus you (or refocus you before a binge).

Gotta run. I'll check in again later hopefully.

Ianthe 08-01-2007 12:30 PM

Along with breathing, mindfulness is wonderful. I highly recommend the book "Wherever you go there you are" by Jon Kabat Zinn. It's one of my absolute favorites in the self-help genre, or any genre for that matter.

And...I had a mini-binge last night. Well, I won't say anymore, but it did stop at a point, also it wasn't planned, which is good (um...sometimes I PLAN binges, go out shopping just for the binge, these are HUGE and very very bad). Meh.

Flutterby873 08-01-2007 12:32 PM

Hi All!

Yesterday was my first binge free day…I’m taking it one day at a time right now. I’ve always been scared to join the binge free week thread because I’m so afraid to fail but I finally decided to just get over myself because I want so badly to stop this horrible cycle of binging so I’m trying to really commit myself to staying on track.

All of you reporting on your binge free days have really inspired me to keep going and work through it. Today I’m working on my second consecutive binge free day and its going alright so far. I just need to be like the little engine who could…”I think I can, I think I can”:carrot:

searsha 08-02-2007 07:20 AM

well done Ann72

Hi Ann,

I was feeling very blue and fragile when I logged on here, then read about your binge-free magic, and immediately I was smiling. It is so truly cool to witness your courage.

Then your kind words made me cry. Cry in a good way. If I can cry and be emotional, it means I’m not in binge mode.

Keep in touch, keep it simple and keep it in the day!

All the best,

searsha 08-02-2007 07:33 AM

almost lost my abstinence

I’ve had a rough few days – stuff coming down the tubes at me – high class issues, when I look around me at what people have to endure. But I could SO easily have broken out completely into diseased eating. I can’t believe I’m here today able to even log on here.

I came very very close to breaking my abstinence yesterday. In fact, while I stayed on my plan, there was a ‘binge-quality’ to how I ate my meals, which really scares me. And this feels like the appropriate thread to share with you all how my 12 steps carried me when I really was POWERLESS myself. Maybe my experience can help someone else.

I’d had a rough morning, stuff that I can maybe share later on the general chat thread – thanks to Odaat for getting it going.
Anyway, I had not planned to overeat, it was just financial stuff, and I was trying to be in the solution and ‘figuring out’ the next right thing to do. Ok, so I called my AA friend – I had checked something out for her and was to pass it on at a lunchtime meeting. Gave her the info on the phone, explaining that I could not attend the meeting, had to try see my bank manager.
She thanked me, then gently asked me was I ok. I could not find the words so just told her I was a bit stressed. She wished me well, then said ‘the serenity prayer can help stress.’ I felt a bit cranky at that, but thanked her.

I said the serenity prayer – not very serenely – but I said it.

One hour later, I found myself at the AA meeting. Still cranky, but at the meeting. Not sure why I was there, but at the meeting!

I shared. I did not want to open my mouth but I shared. Even though it was AA, I was able to say that I was in a dangerous place and might hurt myself with food, even though I did not yet have a compulsion. I know my food pattern well enough to know that late in the day is my rocky time.

Later, the compulsion really really kicked in. Took action on the finances but otherwise I isolated, could not log on here, felt exhausted, but somehow did not break out into major binge eating mode. And that’s what I wanted to pass on. Had it not been for the kind woman who gently suggested the prayer, I ABSOLUTELY know I would have broken my abstinence. And I also give thanks for whatever chink of light and grace made me think to call her even though I was obsessed in my own worries. I guess that’s my Higher Power.

Ok so the day still sucked, I felt so negative, but last night I slept well and today, my financial problems are so much more solvable. But every day it seems I learn more about why I overate so manically.

That humbles me. I can’t do this on my own. Thank you one and all for being there.

RocknRoll 08-02-2007 12:15 PM

DAY ONE HUNDRED IS HERE!!

So today is day 100. I am going to be leaving this section of 3fatchicks because now I can say that binging is OFFICALLY in my past and has no part in my future. If anyone wishes to talk to me you can PM me and I would be glad to help.

You ladies are doing wonderful and I honestly would not be at day 100 without this board. There was a time where I would go 3 days and then back to square one... over and over. I was in a horrible cycle but I dug myself out because I knew I had to do it. Now look at where I am!!

Have a ONEderful day :)

aud 08-02-2007 02:44 PM

* . . . aud strolls into Thread . . . suddenly grabs a microphone and turns into a slightly chubby version of Joan Jett singing . . . *:

"I LOVE ROCK 'N ROLL . . . !!!":carrot:

Congrats to you!!!:carrot:

At the moment I've fallen - but I am UP!:o

ODAAT 08-02-2007 03:20 PM

I'm asking God to grant me an awful lot of serenity today! Its one of those long, hard days. Getting through it, but only just.

Would appear that the depression is back in full swing :( Suppose I might aswell achieve something while I'm miserable.

Day 35 - nearly over. Can't wait to get in bed.

Ann72 08-02-2007 10:55 PM

RocknRoll--100 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go. Congratulations to you. I am so proud of you and I thank you for showing all of us that it can be done. Keep it going! I can't wait until you hit that 200 mark! :bravo:

ODAAT--Congrats on 35 days! That is a huge accomplishment, and I am so very happy for you. I am sorry that the depression is taking its toll. You are such a strong person to not let it knock you down and take you into a binge. I hope you find a little bit of pleasure in knowing that you are inspiring me (and so many others here) with your abstinence. If you can make it through rough times like this, you can make it through anything. Just keep taking it one day at a time (or one hour at a time if needed). Look forward to seeing you on your 36th day of abstinence. Hugs to you! :hug:

As for me, 4 days are down and it feels GREAT to be abstinent. I am journaling and speaking with my sponsor every day. I am amazed at how clearly I'm thinking and how much extra room is in my mind now that I'm not obsessing about food or planning the next binge. Life is good! :D

aud 08-03-2007 03:32 PM

. . . singing today in a somewhat flat monotone - but with a tinge of optimism:

Feeling Good from my head to my shooooes . . .

Know where I'm goin' . . .

And know what to do . . .

ooo oo

ooo oo

ooooooooo . . .

I've got a new Day 2 ATTITOOOOOOOOOOOODE!

*Deep Bow*

*Exit Thread Left*

:dizzy:

:carrot:

searsha 08-04-2007 05:20 AM

40 days binge free

40 days binge-free today!

Feeling good – well rested and off to my Sat morning OA meeting. That’s the only f2f meeting I can get in the week, and I love it.

Which is why this forum means so much to me.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have to say that logging on here and getting stuff out has LITERALLY saved my ‘bacon’ many many times. I know that CONNECTING with others has actually kept me from the jaws of compulsive overeating. So many times I came real close to breaking out into major binge mode.

I’m so grateful to you all. Wish you all a nice. Gotta go open the meeting!

ODAAT 08-04-2007 06:16 AM

37th day for me today.

Searsha, this forum has being wonderful to me. It feels great to have a place where not only can I get support if needed, but hopefully I can offer support too.

There have been many times that I've logged in, in the hope of diverting my attention away from food. This place has helped me many times too.

Its inspiring, and comforting to have lovely people to share this journey with.

Hope you enjoy your meeting.

Hugs to everyone today.

Ann72 08-05-2007 11:29 AM

Just a quick note to say hello and send some hugs to everyone. We have had a busy weekend, so I haven't had a chance to log on. We're about to go meet some friends for lunch.

Today's day 7 of abstinence. It hasn't been easy and I've hit some bumps in the road, but I've managed to get through it thanks to my Higher Power. I'm so grateful that I only have to tackle it one day at a time.

Did anyone else actually have physical withdrawal symptoms? I've been struggling with headaches and lethargy. I think that this in itself is proof of my addiction. For those of you who had this, how long did it last?

ODAAT 08-05-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann72 (Post 1803624)
Did anyone else actually have physical withdrawal symptoms? I've been struggling with headaches and lethargy. I think that this in itself is proof of my addiction. For those of you who had this, how long did it last?

For me, the major withdrawl symptoms you mentioned left after about a week, but I still felt a bit 'off' but couldn't really describe it until day 14 time. This is the time from cutting out sugar as much as possible - only natural sugar in fruit etc. No bread or similar.

Ann72 08-05-2007 09:34 PM

ODAAT--Thanks for sharing that with me. I feel better today and I'm hoping that the withdrawal symptoms are gone. I guess I'm still feeling a bit "in a fog." I hope that doesn't last forever.

I've gone clean on the sugars and white flour, white rice, all processed carbs. I do eat 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads. So far, I'm feeling OK doing this, and I'm hoping that I can continue to eat this way without triggering a binge.

Just wanted to send out some congrats!

Yay for 2 days BF for aud.

Congrats on 37 for ODAAT!

Way to go to Searsha for 40!

You are all my inspiration right now. I'm so proud. I hope to keep it going myself.

:carrot::broc::cb::woohoo:

Ok, you're all a bad influence on me. I'm now getting carried away with emoticons.

JustSharing83 08-06-2007 07:01 PM

I've made it through the week, today will be my 14th binge free day in a row!

searsha 08-07-2007 04:08 AM

hi beth

Way to go Beth! Well done – 14 days binge free is a brilliant achievement. Keep the faith! It does get a little less difficult as the days build up!

Belated mega-congrats to all who celebrated new binge-free milestones this week. It’s so good to log on here and feel the new freedom from binge eating being talked about with such gratitude. It also helps me so much when someone takes the time to express the struggle with this new way. I know I’m not alone.