I Now Know My Trigger Foods!

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • I was actually up at 445 but SLOOOOOOOWWWW to get going. I want to be at the gym by 5am M-F and do at least 90 mins of cardio a day. When I was in training I lost 10 pounds in three weeks because of my cardio and light weight training 2-3 times a week.

I did have a bagel and cream cheese, but I figure it's okay, as that was breakfast and only 350 calories. I snack on apples and celery and have protien rich meals for lunch and dinner. =)

I'm not going to feel guilty anymore. I will make good and bad choices, I'm sure, but the point is to BALANCE.
  • This is my first message - just joined up. I've been on my "program" for three months and it was going great. I had lots of resolve to stick with it and my progress was great. I'm using the past tense alot now as I'm discovering the old binge eating part of me is starting to take center stage again. Its so frustrating! I'm hoping hearing from others facing the same challenges will help boost my emotional state to do something other than consume everything in sight! )
  • Good luck!!!! I really think that we all can do it!
  • I seriously think I have some kind of deficiency. I had chinese food today for lunch (uggghh) which is basically starch chicken and sugar.

I didn't know before I actually got recipes and made a chinese dinner once...but you use about a box of corn starch when you're making just one thing of General Tso's. Not to mention about 10 cups of sugar...

Seriously, I physically crave it when I'm hungry.
  • Quote: Seriously, I physically crave it when I'm hungry.
    I used to crave fast food when I was hungry. Like nobody's business--I would stop for breakfast on my way to work in the morning, stop for junk on my way home from work, go get it for lunch, whatever I had to do to get it (sounds like a drug, eh?). But seriously, after not having it for a few weeks, I no longer crave it. For some people, letting go slowly of their problem foods works, but for me, it's all or nothing, and I am MUCH better off without that junk! Like an addict, if I have it even one time, it will set of another seemingly endless string of drive-thru visits. If I avoid it completely, the first few weeks are hard because I still crave it, but those cravings DO go away.
  • I'm in the exact same situation Jill.. I steer clear of that CRAP. And you are exactly right, once you get the will power to stay away from it for a couple of weeks you don't crave it anymore. But I know if I eat it just once I will be back in a rut again, and I do not want that. Fast food will help you gain the weight back real fast. (maybe that's why they call it fast food...hmmm...?)
  • I was craving junk all day. I still had alot of calories left I could consume around 4pm so I allowed myself ONE SERVING of chips. it was hard to put down, but I did it.

I'm hoping that this time around I can be strong and this will be the time I succeed! =)
  • Quote: What are my trigger foods? Pretty much anything I have to be VERY careful of what I keep in my house. Fast food is definitely a problem (once I start on that beast, I can have as much as 2 huge fast food meals a day and still want more, so I avoid it). Anything that can be eaten in large quantities is a problem. I can't buy containers of ice cream (not even "healthier" versions, like no sugar added, fat free, or frozen yogurt) because I will eat the entire half gallon in maybe 3 days (if it lasts even that long). I can't buy bags of potato chips (not even ones with healthy oils or baked varieties) for the same reason. No snacks of any kind, really. Even the 100-calorie junk food packs--I'll end up eating multiple packs at a time instead of just 1. The reason I'm a binge eater is that I'm a compulsive eater. If it's there, I will eat it. Period. Even if it's not all that yummy--anything I know I shouldn't have more than one serving of at a time, I will think about it and think about it until I've eaten it all.

Wow.. this could have been written by me. Eating the six "100 Calorie" packs that are in the box, finishing the entire container of sugar-free ice cream, eating stuff I don't even like... It's just insane. If I buy any sort of snack food I'll first grab a small portion, but then I cannot stop thinking about the rest of the package, sitting in the pantry. I won't stop thinking about it until I've eaten it all so that finally it's gone. It's quite discouraging. What makes things worse is that my boyfriend (who is *very* skinny I might add) basically lives off cookies, crackers, etc. I often devour entire packages of his food when he's not home, and then rush to the supermarket to replace it. Of course if half of the orignal package was already gone, I have to also eat half of the package I've just bought to make it look right Crazy, isn'it ?

So yeah.. my trigger foods...anything with sugar, especially breakfast cereals, anything crispy, baked goods, hummus for some reason, ice cream, rice (especially white), and countless other things.
  • Quote: If I buy any sort of snack food I'll first grab a small portion, but then I cannot stop thinking about the rest of the package, sitting in the pantry. I won't stop thinking about it until I've eaten it all so that finally it's gone. It's quite discouraging. What makes things worse is that my boyfriend (who is *very* skinny I might add) basically lives off cookies, crackers, etc. I often devour entire packages of his food when he's not home, and then rush to the supermarket to replace it. Of course if half of the orignal package was already gone, I have to also eat half of the package I've just bought to make it look right Crazy, isn'it ?
    AMEN! Luckily for me now, my boyfriend (err, fiance--for some reason, I hate that word, so I keep calling him my bf even though we're engaged now...see? even more mental games ) and I live together, and I do ALL of the grocery shopping, so there is NO junk in our kitchen. Not that it matters--I can just as easily binge on my jars of juice-packed pineapple chunks, whole-wheat tortillas and hummus, 40-calorie no sugar added fudgesicles, etc. I feel completely and utterly out of control and insane when this happens, but it happens more often than I'd like to admit

But, here we are, talking about it and working on it--it's a step ahead of ignoring or denying the problem, at least
  • You guys I have done the same thing on several occasions, and my bf is diabetic, so he has to keep sweets in the house for when his blood sugar gets too low... also we live right near a grocery store so it's easy for me to get binge foods... it is definitely an out of control and insane experience for me too.
  • I'm adding graham crackers with peanut butter and jam to my trigger foods list. It seems I will make anything a binge food if I really want to. Not a good weekend for me. I will stop saying that I'm starting my serious program now. (But I am!). I'll let you know what other foods I find to binge on.
  • Well, I was starving by the time I got home, and had chips and pickles and pizza rolls. I got up to about 500 calories before I could stop myself.

It's teh first time I really started to binge in over a week and I just paused and thought of what I looked like and what a terrible example I am sending to my daughter (she tends to binge! What have I done?)... I stopped.

I'm done for the day. I've been drinking lots of water lately so I know I am hungry b/c I'm really hungry and not thirsty.

I'm going to weigh myself next Monday. I'm scared. I've been eating fairly well (I let myself eat out once a week, one serving of whatever I want) and doing 90+ minutes on the treadmill everyday. I'm so scared this isn't going to work and I'm going to look like this forever.
  • Well, I've been sick so I've been eating pretty badly.

Working out is at a minimum b/c all I want to do is sleep. I have exams next week and teh week after so I imagine I'll be studying a lot. *sigh*

Hopefully I'll get well soon so I can get back on track.
  • I am an all or nothing gal to. I don't have a particular trigger food. I can and will binge on anything. It's crazy. I have been thinking about how I am going to handle that. I'm not totally sure yet. I think I get so caught up in the moment that I just turn off that part of my brain that tells me it is not okay.
  • Fast food is my trigger also. I never ate it that often in college but since I've started working very long hours it has become the norm. I eat if for breakfast, lunch and dinner because it's easy. Beyond making me fat, it also triggers bad headaches and zaps my energy. I've tried giving it up many times but it usualy only lasts for a week and then I cave.