3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Disordered Thinking: Challenge your thoughts! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/109185-disordered-thinking-challenge-your-thoughts.html)

HarPoe 04-06-2007 05:38 PM

Disordered Thinking: Challenge your thoughts!

So we're studying eating disorders in psychology. I've known for a while that I have one...didn't know how deeply rooted it was until we started studying it. Ever read something and feel like it's a page out of your life?

So the first step is to confront your disordered thinking, realize it's disordered, and challenging the thoughts. (i.e., Eating will make me feel better. Then asking yourself, did I feel better after binging?)

I decided to write down my thoughts, then figure if they were disordered or not. They are.

*I'm the obligatory fat friend.
*People think I'm gross.
*The number on the scale is what defines me.
*People think I look disgusting when I eat.
*Nobody could possibly be attracted to me.
*As long as I'm fat, I can't have a full life.

Challenges to these thoughts...

1. I have amazing friends who probably don't even notice my weight until I mention it. Even then, they just roll their eyes at me.
2. I bathe. I take care of myself. I'm not gross.
3. No. My spirit and personality is what defines me.
4. I'm one of the most polite eaters on the planet.
5. People hit on me and tell me I'm attractive a lot. Most of my guy friends get jealous when I don't pay attention to them, and my brothers are always paranoid that I have a boyfriend (they seem to think that guys are all over me...silly, but I don't know why that would be a BAD thing!)
6. My life is full of amazing people and amazing things. I'm an artist, I'm a college student, I'm constantly doing fun stuff.

haha...It may take a while to fully believe the challenges...but there it is!

I really do feel like a weight has been lifted. I didn't even realize I had some of these thoughts! Anybody else want to share? It's a bit painful...but a relief once you've done it.

Jman1 04-06-2007 10:36 PM

This works so well, especially if you really write it. I learned to do it for depression from the book Feeling Good, by David Burns.

Bikini Dreader 04-07-2007 03:03 PM

I often think about how disorded my thinking is and has been for years. I can definitely recognize it and have told my loved ones about my struggle. But somehow when in the middle of it, I can shut my brain off completely and even fool myself. I often think about people who don't have this issue and truly envy them. Someday I'll be there. I want to get this sorted out so that I can be a healthy role model for my children.

mammasita 04-08-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman1 (Post 1642955)
This works so well, especially if you really write it. I learned to do it for depression from the book Feeling Good, by David Burns.

I started one of his books.....Ten Days to Self Esteem, Good Stuff!

HarPoe 04-08-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikini Dreader (Post 1643498)
I often think about how disorded my thinking is and has been for years. I can definitely recognize it and have told my loved ones about my struggle. But somehow when in the middle of it, I can shut my brain off completely and even fool myself. I often think about people who don't have this issue and truly envy them. Someday I'll be there. I want to get this sorted out so that I can be a healthy role model for my children.

Absolutely. Children need to SEE their parents having a healthy attitute to HAVE a healthy relationship with food.

thinnythighs 06-11-2007 07:30 PM

My husband will be the first to step up and tell me i'm thinking illogically or in a bizarre way. Sometimes i have a notion that what i perceive is incorrect, but am not sure. That's when he's really helpful to put me back on track.