3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Chicks in Control (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/)
-   -   Am I Making myself Sick? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/107011-am-i-making-myself-sick.html)

keeponkeepingon 03-12-2007 08:10 PM

Am I Making myself Sick?

I was just writing a post in the cyber purge thread when this thought came to me that I wanted to explore a little further in depth...
Last night, had a bit of a binge-not huge, but a binge none the less. Today, I am home sick with a recurring cold that I have had on and off for 3 months. Yuck. And then it occurs to me, not like a flash of lighting, but more like a slow, leak-that I may well be making myself sick with this cold. Hmmm...I am realizing now that these days when my cold gets worse are days after a binge-like a binge hang over, but a little different.
This is the other thing I realized that goes in conjunction with this binge/cold. I have really been making a mental effort and a partial physical effort since January to be more mindful of my food and exercise and
yet I have gained weight since then, my binging has become worse or different or something-it's like I'm sabotaging myself. Last week was good. I ate well, went to the gym twice-which I know isn't a lot, but some weeks that is all I can manage. And then last night, the cycle of BADNESS started again. Does anyone else find that this happens to them?
I was reading through a bunch of posts today and had mixed reaction to all the success people have had. I am sooo happy for people and amazed, but part of me feels like I will never get there, never get over my addictions and negative behavior. I don't know how to get out of this cycle. I am so sick of feeling this way-I want to feel better, look better, enjoy life more.
Thoughts anyone?
*sigh*

:(

Bikini Dreader 03-12-2007 08:54 PM

I can relate completely to how you are feeling. I have been in a negative cycle for years but over the past year I started really trying to figure out how to be happy. I came across a few crucial books for me: The Taming of the Chew (great overeating book), The Secret (Amazing amazing amazing) and The Celestine Prophecy to name a few. I read a lot of magazines - especially O which is why I'm on this site. I also started thinking about what life changes I could make to make myself happy. So I am quitting my job and going to Europe. The point of this long story is that I spent a year trying to make myself a better person and happier. One thing I learned was that my attitude had so much to do with what was happening in my life and how I was treating myself. I would binge all the time. I still went to the gym but I couldnt get over the bingeing and I got in this funk where I was basically telling myself all the time that I was a failure, that I would never get over the bingeing, that I was always going to be doing this to myself and getting bigger and bigger than I needed to be. It wasn't until I really started working on myself that I was able to change this. My attitude has completely changed. I made a doable goal for myself and then I pictured myself in that state and assumed I would get there. I know I will get to that goal and so far I've been completely on that track. Sure sometimes I overeat or have a treat but I dont beat myself up over it as much as I used to because I'm still on my way to my goal. I definitely think that my attitude change has been the main reason I've been able to beat the bingeing and I haven't binged in almost a month now which is huge for me. I used to binge every single night. It was like my best friend. Now I do other more healthy things like reading and going for walks or whatever. Its all because in my mind I know that I will be back to my healthy weight.
This time it is so different. I dont feel like I'm on a diet. Because I'm not. I'm just treating myself with the respect that I deserve and I hope you do the same. You are worth proper treatment. The treatment you would give a guest. There are some really great books out there and journalling is a huge help as well. Getting to the root of my issues ie what I was gaining out of bingeing every night and why I didnt think I was worth treating myself well was a big turning point.

I'm definitely rambling on but I just wish I had learned this years ago before I suffered for years.

there is tons of support on here too which I found really helpful. I think my friends eventually go sick of my ups and downs and just wanted to say "Just stop eating" .. but its not about food for me. That's just a symptom of the issue. The Taming of the Chew book really helped me to see that.

Good luck with your goals. YOu can do it!

keeponkeepingon 03-12-2007 10:47 PM

thanks for the words of encouragement. i have spent many years of my life doing self-work, but in the last couple of years, this has been less of a priority for me-and now i am beginning to see that it is folly for me to abandon this road. i know that the helping myself is the way to go-it's just hard, but i am trying very hard to turn that around.
thanks again for the help!!!

Janie Canuck 03-14-2007 01:51 PM

I can't speak to your cold, but I know I feel physically healthier when I'm eating well. If I've eaten too much, particularly sugar (my drug of choice), I don't sleep well, feel too hot all night, and it tends to mess up my digestive system (I have mild IBS, and sugar seems to kick it up a notch). Not only that, but mentally, I feel much more focussed when I eat well. My house is cleaner, more odd jobs get done, I have more patience, less stress, etc. So whether or not poor eating contributes specificallly to colds, I do think it can make us less healthy.