Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304.4/267.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Any Recovering Bulimics?

Hello to everyone here! I have been hanging around this site for months and have now decided to ask a question. First a little information about me and my "Issues" (don't we all know about those). My name is Megan and I will be 21 next Saturday. I have been overweight probably since was 4, but I was probably obese as early as 3rd grade.

I had never really seen my weight as a problem because I was very well liked in my school. I went through a lot when I was younger, but I always got through it just fine. Then, when I was 17 my mom passed away. I'm not sure exactly when, but I, being an emotional eater began eating A LOT!!!!! Soon, I got this idea that I could just throw it all up and I would be fine. This escalated to sometimes 3-4 times a day.

I got married at 19 and moved to Canada from the U.S. After years of being bulimic I decided to tell my husband last summer. I struggled to try to quit all by myself, but decided to take one day at a time. Well, I can finally say that I no longer have the feelings after I eat to PURGE PURGE PURGE!! I am more than happy for that because it was ruining my life and my body. I think the reason I finally decided to quit was because I was having heart palpitations, was finding it extremely hard to breath (did anyone else experience this?), and was getting light headed with headaches and I was becoming really scared. I know this will be a lifelong battle, but I believe I am a little more ready to face it now.

My question to anyone else here who is a recovering bulimic, is . . . . . did you gain weight after you stopped binging and purging? In one month I have gained 20 pounds and feel HORRIBLE!!!!!! If any of you are going or have been through this, how long did it take you to recover before you could begin doing a diet. I have been trying but I am having a hard time dealing with the restrictions. I would really like a buddy to talk to and for support as I am living in a strange country with no real friends and I have no mom to call to talk to either

Boy, sorry this went on for so long, but I really hope to hear back from some of you.

Megan
MeganJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #2  

Hi, Megan! Just a thought... if you haven't already, you might want to visit the Something Fishy Web site for eating disorders. There are lots of folks there dealing with the same issues, and it can be enormously helpful. People are in various stages of recovery from eating disorders and are very generous about sharing their personal experience and what they've learned through authors such as Geneen Roth (many books on recovering from EDs) and through therapy.

Best wishes for continued recovery!
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

Megan, Does your husband have EAP (Employee Assistance Program) If so they usually have a confidential counselling service. They also may be able to find services in the the Calgary area. The Calgary Health Region may also have some programs or support services. Also this site may have a health nurse in your area who can direct you to what is available in the Calgary area. At the beginning it has hospitals but then lower down it gives all the names, addresses and phone numbers of health clinics in the Calgary area. I hope you can find something. I know it is very hard to move to a new city and not know anyone or have someone to do stuff with. I will keep you in my prayers.
Take Care

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hospitals/index.html
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey Megan, welcome!

I agree......try and see if you can get some counselling.
I am *trying* to be a recovering bulimic, and I know that my counsellor is helpful with that. I haven't gained weight.....but that is because I have been pedanticly restrictive in what I eat now because I am petrified of binging again and then purging.

I wish you all the best.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #5  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Also a recovering (mostly?) bulimic... although I never binged that much, it was more the purging when I'd moderately overeat. Quitting is HARD, no doubt about it - I agree w/ the rec. for something fishy, although their rules are fairly strict and sometimes its easier to talk in a less heavily moderated forum. If you ever want to talk, feel free to PM me. I'm 19, TOTALLY unmarried and single , living in Boston
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #6  
Calorie Countin'

S/C/G: 235/235/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm a "recovering" bulimic. I use quotation marks because I believe there is no true, full recovery from an eating disorder. You may no longer do the act, binging and purging, but the thoughts will always be there.

I haven't binged since August but the thought and the want is in my mind every weekend. I suggest you seek help because the likelihood of you helping yourself alone is slim, maybe even impossible.

And I found that treating myself about every two or three weeks really helped curve binges. For example, this Friday I'm going to treat myself to my favorite candy, Reese's Pieces. It'll satisfy my 'want' for it so I won't go crazy and binge on it and every other candy in the candy aisle.

Last edited by Oppurtunity; 02-06-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Oppurtunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #7  
Perfection. . .

S/C/G: 128/121/105

Height: 5ft5

I'm kind of not really a recovering, more struggling bulimic. Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

xxxx
x LauraAna x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I am a recovering (recovered?) anorexic-bulimic (which just means I would purge normal amounts of food instead of "binge" amounts). I haven't purged for four years, but from age 16 to age 20, it was nearly a daily ritual for me. It was hard to stop, yes, and I gained about thirty pounds after stopping. I've since learned to eat healthy and reasonably.

I am the typical person who would develop an eating disorder in her teens, since I was a perfectionist, slightly shy and awkward because I spent most of my school day in the gifted classes, and under pressure to stay fit because of cross-country running (which I know now is obviously stupid, since it can screw up your muscles and your heart).

To be honest, what made me stop was my best friend in the world. I was pretty good at hiding my purging, but she found out and she just broke down and wept in front of me. She was so afraid for me, and I realized that I couldn't keep jeopardizing my health and hurting the people I care about.

I still occasionally eat emotionally, such as this past November when I went through a break-up and spent my days crying and eating ice cream. But I no longer have the desire to throw up, and that's a blessing. It is something that you can get over and move past in your life if you want to hard enough.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote