Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #1  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

Default OMG I am a binge eater!

I have to say it I always assumed that "binge" eating was someone who ate ENORMOUS amounts of food in a single sitting, and did it with frequency.

After scaning through these forums I have noticed that I definately have some of the same "criteria"
I will sometimes have that "craving" and will suddenly put it away at an alarming rate.

There are certain foods that I have much more difficulty controling

I wil sometimes eat until I have a stomach ache

I have ordered items on a menu just because it is the "largest" thing on a menu

I hide food

I lie about food

Now I am a little nervous, yet I feel a bit better. If I know the deamon I can recognize it faster!
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

These recent posts that people have been writing have also made me draw attention to my own eating habits and examine them both past and present.

You are right, awareness is part of the solution. Good for you for recognizing your own behaviour, sometimes that can be very difficult and sometimes it is even more difficult to admit it to ourselves! Yet being truthful is such an important part in this whole process
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree. I think there is a thin line between a compulsive overeater and a binger. Whatever it is, it is an eating disorder. I don't know how I, at over 300 lbs, could've denied an eating disorder. I always thought an eating disorder was bulimia or anorexia. I think there were a few times that I thought about forcing myself to throw up but I thought I was better punishing myself by having to deal with the consequences of my own little eating parties.

The past few days, since I realized and accepted the fact that I am a binger, have been an eye opener for me. I am at a good state with myself right now but I know I have to be careful.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #4  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I hope that realizing that this way isn't "normal" will really help me th succeed!

Mari
Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #5  
Potter Researcher

S/C/G: 298/250/170

Height: 5'7"

I agree with you all! I think that there are so many misconceptions about "binge eating" that we often don't realize that truth until we discuss it with others that share the same problem. I had always assumed that binge eaters were only those that purged after an enormous meal. Since I never purged I assumed that my behavior only included over-eating.

Then I realized that to think that I'm simply over-eating seems to deny that there is a larger problem at hand. It sounds as if you're just saying that you eat a few hundred extra calories a day. But my over-eating mostly took place in "secret" when I would engage in binges (not necessarily enormous but extraneous) or all-day grazes that would undermine my health and weight.

It has helped me more than I can say to have admitted that I have engaged in binge eating behavior and that I'm not alone. This is a problem that I feel can be overcome by support and understanding, and I'm so pleased to have found both!

Barb
Phoenix Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #6  

If it is okay I will add my two cents...I have admitted to myself before and then tried to forget about it but have not ever admitted to anyone else ( not completely); that I sneak food...there have been times that I would have candy in my pocketbook and sneak into our home office pretending to be doing something but really I was seneaking a candy bar!! And other times when I would buy a box of "Little Debbie's" (supposedly for the kids) and on the way home eat two or three and then not want my hubby & kids to know; so I would hide them in the car and then finish up the box by the next day and get rid of all evidence! SOOOOO I guess my point is that obviously I am a secret binge eater!! And this is an emotional issue that I must deal with! And I agree that it makes me feel better to know that I am NOT alone in this struggle! I wish each of you the best! See you around the site!!
plb112467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #7  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

Secret food....I totally understand that. I have a roomate. She is also overweight and is also trying to get healthy. It is great having someone to work with. However what she doesn't know is that since we have shared our place I have kept a secret stash of food in the back of the china cabinet. There are always cakes, candy exc. There were times that I would sneak them and eat an entire package.

PLB- I totally get what you mean by "hiding the evidence" there have been times ( since I was about 8) that I would eat "too much" and instead of someone finding a half eaten package I would eat the whole thing so they didnt see it. Or i would hid it and eat it within a few days..... I am sooooo embarassed thinking about the number of times that I ate entire packages of cookies, bags of candy, boxes of snack cakes, or even gallons of ice cream......

Weird...in college friends of mine had a joke that you "never drink alone" butcause that makes an alcoholic. I am a food-aholic maybe I need to try to never "eat alone"

Mari