Been gone a long time

• Hi guys. I'm back. At the beginning of this year I was doing really well, but I got discouraged and gave up. So now I'm almost back where I started and having to do it all over again.

Going to start back on Atkins tomorrow. Not sure my committment to that goal is very strong at present. I need help and encouragement to get there.

I've set a goal of losing only 5 pounds before the end of the year. I know if I get on Atkins again and do it right that those 5 pounds will probably be gone in just a few days. But getting there is the battle. I'm SUCH a terrible carboholic!

Even now thinking about starting Atkins tomorrow I'm tempted to go make a batch of brownies today for 'one last fling'. How terrible is THAT?

There is a scripture in the Bible that says "no one who puts his hand to the plow and looks at the things behind is well suited to the kingdom of God". I guess that scripture would apply to "putting your hand to the plow" in the attempt to diet too. Once you make a committment you should be looking to the things ahead, not to the things you are leaving behind.

So why is it that committing to Atkins feels so much like a sacrifice of all the foods I enjoy and love? It is almost scary. Once I get there I know it isn't hard, it is a joy when the weight starts dropping off again, it is just those first few days that are really hard. Still it is always something I feel I have to really psych myself up for. Any suggestions?
  • Hi Sherry and welcome back. I don't really have any suggestions, but wanted you to know that we're all here for you. Wishing you the best with weight loss success.
  • SHERRY BABY !!! Welcome back darling
  • Sherrie -

I read in the atkins book that once you quit and start back you only have to go through induction for 4 days before you are in ketosis and can go back to the carbohydrate level that you left off at. After you are back in ketosis then you can probably have something similar to all the foods that you think you will be missing. I am finding that there is a low carb way of eating anything you want,but you have to be willing to experiment or search a bit.

So my suggestion - start now, this second. Don't eat anymore off induction foods from now and for the next few days. It doesn't matter what you ate earlier today, just start now anyway. Nowhere does it say that you have to start at a certain time or on a certain day. Pick up your water, and start drinking through your cravings. My suggestion, if you know this is what you want to do, you know this is what works, then don't wait, whatever excuse you have forget about it and just do atkins now.
  • Hi Thanks guys.

I did start today. Lunch was easy enough. Dinner? I'm not sure I'm as prepared as I need to be for this. Oh yeah we are having steak tonight. That should be low carb enough.

I really have a terrible love/hate relationship with Atkins. I love the weight loss, I love how fast it starts to work. It is really the only diet that I know WILL work for me. Every other attempt I've made to do something else that sounds easier never gets off the ground. But I hate how fast I gain back the second I go off it, I hate that I can't seem to keep wanting to do it as a forever type lifestyle. I did well for about 3 years. Back in 2000 I lost 50 pounds this way. Then over the next couple of years I managed to drop another 10, but most of it is back. I've still got 20 pounds of that original 50 gone, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

I guess the good news is that if I really do the plan it does work for me and not just the first time. I'm dreading the carb withdrawal headache though. Should get that tomorrow or the next day?

Still it feels good to have finally made a decision and to not be still putting it off.
  • Glad to read that you have gotten started.
  • Hey Sherry I am venturing back again too. Welcome back and I know you can do it. It is minnd ofer food. I think

Motto I have seen which I like
    YOU GET WHAT YOU WORK FOR NOT WHAT YOU WISH FOR.
  • For me it is mind over chocolate! I can resist most of the other things. Chocolate gets me every time. If I could just treat it like an addiction and tell myself it is NOT for me, I suppose I could lose this weight once and for all, but it is so hard to give up such a favorite food!
  • SUE !!! Welcome back sweet lady
  • Thanks Leenie!!
  • You can do it Sherry, We'll do it together. Judy H