Cholesterol Numbers--Dr. Atkins is a Saint

• So, I am new to this board but have been on Atkins since July 2002. Four years ago at the age of 28, my cholesterol was LDL 179, HDL 33, and high triglycerides.

Just got my numbers today after FOUR years on the diet---and I definitely don't do any low-fat version of Atkins--and here they are:

LDL--bad cholesterol: 128 [< 130 is good]
    HDL--good cholesterol: 76 [greater than 40 is the goal, greater than 60 is excellent]
    Triglycerides are 70!!!! [less than 150 is good]

Although total cholesterol is near 200, my dr. says it doesn't matter because my HDL is so ridiculously high--which is great!

Anyway, just wanted to post in case anyone was wondering "can it really be healthy to do this long-term?" I know I was wondering, but the answer is yes!
  • Congratulations!

Despite what people who are not educated about the Atkins lifestyle think....low carb eating, when done correctly is healthy.

Congratualtions to you!! Keep up the great work!

Continued success to you!!

Kim
  • That is great to know. I have been on Atkins for 15 months. I am to have repeated cholesterol levels done in December. I hope mine have improved too.
  • Thats great! I feel better now! (SInce I was told to go off atkins.) I should have never mentioned it to the Dr. I bet he would have told me my numbers were ok if He didn't know!
    Maggie