Last day of induction

• Actually yesterday was my last day of induction. I lost a total of 24 pounds!!!! Now I start the next level and add more veggies. I'm a little afraid to start adding veggies because i've done so well on the induction but I have to start adding veggies. What veggies do you recommend? and what about multi-grain bread (1gram sugar, 4carbs per 2 slices)?
  • congratulations! how long have you been doing induction? 24 lbs ig great!
    If I were you I'd keep going with it if you're still losing at a good rate.
    otherwise, I have added in zuchinni, eggplant, broccolli, cauliflower, greenbeans. I stay away from carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and green peppers mostly. anything else in moderation would be ok. I think you should be able to go to the atkins site and check the carbs on most veggies.
    I haven't added in any grain yet so I can't help you there. I'm losing to slow to even think about that!
    good luck
    maggie
  • Well, Atkins says to stay on induction for 2 weeks only because it can cause liver damage later on in life. I was thinking about going longer but I don't wanna have liver failure later on. I've been on induction for exactly 2 weeks and I started adding vegetables today for the next Atkin's phase, On-going weight loss. It does say however that if I start to gain weight from the newly added food then I need to cut back on them.

Should I still stay on induction for two more weeks? or do what Atkin's say?
  • I'm Confused
    Staying on Induction longer than 2 weeks causes liver damage later on in life??? When I began Atkins over 2 years ago & I read the book, Dr. Atkins says Induction should continue for a minimum of two weeks and encourages people to continue longer if they desire to, are tolerating it well, and have a lot of weight to lose. I've modified it slightly by adding more vegetables and recently eating yogurt & having nuts occasionally but..I don't go over 25 carbs a day.

Does the book actually say doing Induction longer than 2 weeks causes liver damage? I'm curious.
  • There's a story in his newer book about a woman who stayed on Induction for 2 years. lol

I suggest going to the source and double checking.

- Jux
  • Yeah, I don't recall ever reading the Dr. Atkins people talking about liver damage. What page in what book?

Kel
  • I'm a huge fan of Broccoli, green beans, fresh spinach and romane lettuce. Stay in induction as long as you can stand it!!! WTG! I have soooo much faith in you!
  • I was put on Atkins by my doctor who is hepatologist due to my enlarged and damaged liver. I stayed on induction for the first 6 months due to the large amount of weight I had to lose. My liver enzymes have done nothing but improve. Now, granted I'm not a doctor, but I did read the Atkins New Diet Revolution book and never saw anything about future liver damage with long-term induction. By all means, do what works best for you, but I know that many of us have done induction for a long time. Good luck in finding what will help you the most.
  • Butterfly - see, I know a lot of us here have ben on induction for a long time! I have been on a modified induction for almost 3 months.
    by being modified I mean, I have half and half with my coffee (which is a no-no ), Ilike to have strawberries and cream for dessert once in a while, and a few other things that I've added are mostly veggies that are not on the induction list.
    You have done so well losing 24 lbs in two weeks. I would keep going. Your body will tell you when it's time to make a change (usually by having your weight loss stall) Then you can play around with the carbs more and change your exercise routine to help get things moving again.
    Just take your vitamins and some kind of Fiber (psyllium husks, benefiber, fiber choice etc...)
    Keep us posted! your doing great!
    Maggie
  • Ok thanks ya'll. I actually didn't read that liver damage part in the book. I read it somewhere's but I forgot. On some website i think. That shows you can't trust what you always see. lol. Thanks everyeone. I believe I will stay on induction for while longer.