What's the difference?

• Okay, maybe I'm just way out of the loop. What's the difference between Atkins, South Beach and Sugar Busters?

Thanks,

- Jux
  • I am not familiar with Sugar Busters at all but, South Beach allows nuts on Phase 1 where Atkins does not. It also includes things like reduced fat cheeses where Atkins permits full fat cheeses.

Personally, I prefer Atkins. When done correctly, its clean eating of unprocessed foods (meat, veggies, salad, eggs, cheese) in moderation. All I know is, it works!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
  • I have never tried South Beach or Sugar Busters, but I agree that Atkins does work when followed correctly.
  • I think they all work if followed correctly, your best bet would be to go to the library for the books, and find one that will work best for your lifestyle and habits. There is also alot of info on this website but the books will give you all the info firsthand.
  • I like Atkins and will most likely stick with it. I had wondered if perhaps South Beach and Sugar Busters were just a spin off of Atkins.

I wonder why, even though I can see it has success, Atkins remains unpopular in the mainstream. Is it all just a matter of opinion?

- Jux
  • Quote: I like Atkins and will most likely stick with it. I had wondered if perhaps South Beach and Sugar Busters were just a spin off of Atkins.

I wonder why, even though I can see it has success, Atkins remains unpopular in the mainstream. Is it all just a matter of opinion?

- Jux
    I think the reason Atkins remains unpopular in the mainstream is because people tend to be uneducated when it comes to this WOE. If you ask most people about Atkins...they assume we sit and eat pounds of bacon, tons of red meat, sticks of butter, no veggies, no salads, no fruits. They believe Atkins is very unhealthy. Most people prefer South Beach because it leans towards low-fat...which the mainstream have been conditioned to believe is a healthy way to eat.
  • South Beach is not a low fat but a good fat plan. Saturated and trans fats are avoided. During the first two weeks, dairy and legumes are allowed and after that the emphasis is on fruits and whole grains. It is not a low carb or a low fat plan.
  • My sister has tried South Beach and didn't like it. Well, if I was her weight I wouldn't like it either. She only needed to lose like 5 pounds. It was too restrictive for her. But she also said that it's not as restrictive as Atkins. But that she was going to try Atkins because she NEEDS the strictness of things. Not sure about Sugar Busters. Haven't heard about it from anyone I know.