3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   men stink (not a man bashing thread) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/86321-men-stink-not-man-bashing-thread.html)

TravelinGal 06-07-2006 09:59 AM

men stink (not a man bashing thread)

It's just not fair. Why do men lose weight faster than women? Why is it 'acceptable' for men to weigh so much more than women in the first place?

Starting day 7 of induction and DH has lost 8 lbs. I've lost 6. Granted, 6 is GREAT! I'm not diminishing that at all. It's just frustrating that he has LESS to lose (60 lbs vs. my 110 lbs) and he's already lost more.

Help talk me through this - I know it will be a weekly issue for me, so I need to get a grip on it right away.

thanks.

40poundsago 06-07-2006 11:05 AM

My husband has not joined me in my weight loss journey, and he has no problem showing me he can still eat everything on his plate plus more. and he loves telling me the scale went down for him. My husband is very supportive of me, he just like to tease me sometimes.

My girlfriend and I were just talking at the gym this morning that it is so unfair that men can lose the pounds faster. I guess that is the gift they were given, and we got the gift of child birth. Don't take the child birth comment wrong it is meant as a positive thing.

I would say be excited that he joined this journey with you, I think he will be a great support beam for you because of it.

lilybelle 06-07-2006 04:29 PM

Congratulations on your weight loss. 6 lbs. is a lot. Good job. It's great that you have him for support. My husband said if he ever gets fat, that he'll just stay fat because he will never diet. He's slender and can eat whatever he wants and it does seem unfair. I'd be huge if I ate what he does.

AmberD 06-07-2006 04:46 PM

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 6 POUNDS!!!!

but oooo can I relate. My BF got sick awhile ago, so he put on a bit of a tummy and he's had it for about a year now. He's decided... he doesn't want that tummy any more, and so now. He's down 10 pounds. Don't ask me how. He doesn't exercise, he doesn't particularly eat right, just a little less junk food per day and he gave up soda.

Meanwhile! I'm busting my butt at the gym 6 days a week, counting every single calorie that I put in my mouth and I haven't lost a pound in over 12 weeks!!!

He's SO excited to be losing and I am happy for him, I am. But when he tells me how he had a McDonalds number 3 for lunch and still went down 2 pounds... I kind of want to kick him. :devil:

BUT I am in this for the life long health (Weight loss would be a GREAT perk)So while he may be losing weight faster, I am way healthier.

So, I guess be happy with your results (You're doing fantastic) Be happy for your husband (the booger head!). Be happy that you and he are doing this together, so you can support each other and that you can be healthy together.

And if he loses a lot more weight that you and you REALLY can't take it... You can always kick him :D

BerkshireGrl 06-07-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelinGal
It's just not fair. Why do men lose weight faster than women? Why is it 'acceptable' for men to weigh so much more than women in the first place?

Why men lose faster:

Do men lose weight faster than women?

Your questions answered by fitness expert Joanna Hall

Saturday March 18, 2006
The Guardian

My husband and I started our new year campaign in earnest. He has done well - a stone and a half lost and four inches off his middle. I've lost a meagre four pounds and my skirts are only a touch more loose. Am I doing something wrong, or is it really easier for men?

Sadly, there is a distinct difference between how men and women store fat and lose weight - it is easier for men. Body shape differences relate to the varying concentration of two hormones, lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL). LPL encourages fat storage while HSL tends to stimulate fat removal, and where these accumulate affects body shape. Men have more fat-storing LPL in their bellies, women tend to have more in their hips and thighs.

When it comes to losing weight, it's down to the hormone receptors - alpha receptors and beta receptors found on the fat cell walls. Alpha receptors inhibit fat breakdown, while beta receptors encourage it. Men tend to have more beta-receptors and fewer alpha-receptors in their midriffs. So, while your husband may have started with a bigger belly, the greater presence of beta receptors will make it easier for him to lose weight and drop inches off his middle. More infuriating is the fact that, even at rest, a man will be burning more calories than a woman, due to his greater muscle mass, which uses more calories than fat cells. My male clients do achieve a faster rate of weight loss, but remember the story of the tortoise and the hare - slowly, slowly can be the best policy. By sustaining your efforts, you may be fitter, trimmer and healthier in the long run.

· Joanna Hall is a fitness expert (joannahall.com). Send your exercise questions to Weekend, 119 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3ER ([email protected]).

And, IMHO, why is more ok for men to be fat than women? Because they are valued for their wealth/job/power, while we are valued for our beauty. Not 100% across the board, mind you, but that's my impression of "society" ;)

TravelinGal 06-07-2006 10:12 PM

Thanks gals.

Amber - LOL @ your last line.

Tortoise and the hare - good analogy. :)

SherryA 06-07-2006 11:19 PM

Hmmm so maybe they should learn how to inject us with "beta receptors?" What the heck is a beta receptor anyway? Who invented that one?

Men have testosterone which makes muscle. Women have estrogen and progesterone which stores fat for endurance and longevity for making and feeding babies.

Men are like sprinters, we women are like long distance runners. My husband can out perform me in the work arena for short spurts, but when it comes to long term and endurance I can run circles around him. He just poops out and I'm like the energizer bunny "still going...."

Men are like race horses, we women are like donkeys. One is good for speed and power, the other for the long haul.

Yeah, I suppose I might rather be a race horse... But I am glad with all that I have to do that my body sustains my continued effort, and doesn't give up on me like I see happen with him.