Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #31  

I've been weighing myself daily as well -- can't help it! The scale is sitting there in my face each morning and I just can't help myself. Some days it creeps up a bit and others it goes down a lot. So strange how it fluctuates like that. I would say on average, my weight is always between a 5 lbs difference. Like if I say I weigh 190, the week will consist of 190 - 195 all week. Is that normal?

I've been using the ketosis strips and have now been in deep ketosis for about 5 days now! I'm really proud of myself for really sticking with the diet this time. It's the first time ever that I have taken so much time for myself and really watching what I eat. I now even take special care in all my meals -- a true first for me.

I didn't get a chance to workout yesterday but did get a brief brisk walk in during the day. My poor doggie didn't get his night out for a run or the beach last night.

Hope you are having a fabulous day so far!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #32  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I've heard of lots of people fluctuating in weight-I think that's normal. There was a post brought back up here not too long ago where a women weighed herself several times a day, on different scales, before and after meals and exercise, and with different clothes on. The short story is her weight fluctuated as much as 13 lbs! Weigh yourself in the mornings without clothes, after the bathroom, and before you eat, every time. You may still fluctuate a little due to water retention or TOM, etc, but that should cut it down alot.
I'm proud of you, too, Buffy! Doesn't it feel great to do something for yourself? To know that you've had the strength to see it through this time, and feel the results in your health AND on the scale? Keep it up, girl! We can do this!
Don't feel too bad about not working out yesterday-I know you've been hitting that pretty hard lately, and one day won't do any damage. As long as you get in 4 or 5 days a week, you're doing great and increasing your metabolism-even on the days you're not working out. It's good to take a break every now and then so you don't get burned out on your routine.
I really like using my ketosis strips, too. Lots of people don't like to use them, because they can go bad, or you can get a faulty batch of them. Just take care of them-I read on another site that if they are exposed to moisture AT ALL, like keeping them in a medicine cabinet in your bathroom, even(steam from the bath or shower), or if they are old or opened for more than a few months, then they are no longer reliable and probably won't turn. They aren't expensive, and they give me a psychological pat on the back, so I'll just buy more if that happens. They are also helpful when you decide to add more carbs, so that you will know what your personal limit is that you can still lose at before you get completely out of ketosis.
I bet it's great to have a beach close by to walk/run on for a change of pace from the gym. I'd definitely take advantage of that! Running in the sand would be great training for that marathon!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #33  
Susan hockeyfan7

One thing I've done is to weigh every morning, average my weight for the week and consider that number my weekly weight. That takes into consideration all the fluctuations.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #34  

Thanks Hockey -- that's actually a smart idea. I'm going to try that out. I'm going to let this week go. I'm a little sad that the scale so far hasn't shown more weight loss but I'm still happy that I reached my initial Memorial Day goal of 10 lbs. I guess that's a good way to look at it right?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #35  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

Question

Congratulations Buffy on the ten pounds - and in advance of your Memorial goal at that!!

I am going to jump in here, although I know I haven't been part of the group:

I am starting to get a bit discouraged on this weigh-in thing after reading the thread posts. I am on day 4 of induction, and I have weighed twice - on Tuesday for fitday (187), and again today (185). I wore my nightgown both times, it was after first pee, and before breakfast. In my head, I know that it is water weight and not fat loss, but it sounds like from the post that it may be my scale fluctuating and I haven't even lost the water weight yet. Is that right?

How many days on induction are you? Because I am looking at a pound and a quarter a day. I don't have ketosticks yet so I don't know if I am in deep ketosis or not. I have tried to keep my meals to 1500 calories for each of these 4 days. I cut back on my sweets all last week in preparation for dieting. I fasted and colon cleansed on Sunday to get rid of excess carbs. I went through three days of headaches and nausea (still have a bit of nausea), so I think I am in ketosis which I understand should mean I am losing - right?

Mind you - I have read the book and tried Atkins before, but I have never made it this long without cheating, so I need a bit of guidance. Any help is appreciated.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #36  

Hello there MsChris -

Glad to have you join the group! There's always room for more!

It sounds like you are doing really great -- and congrats on doing that. And losing 3 lbs in 4 day is really good! Seriously, that is something! I'd say you were actually off to a really good start.

First, are you exercising? As you can see from my recent posts, I was exercising and now believe that from my weight training, I was building muscle...we all know muscle weighs more than fat...so it was the probable reason for my plateau.

My trainer has told me to always give yourself a good 2 weeks into a diet before you start to think "is this working." Because it takes your body at least 2 weeks to get used to the new diet and needs time to adjust. So don't fret just yet! I think you are doing great.

I suggest that you come here often. I'm here a lot during the day and I feel it totally helps me so much! It's nice to read through the threads and get others opinions and experiences on things.

I don't know if this helped you...but good luck to you! And hope to see you around!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #37  

MsChris-Congrats on the 3 lbs! That is a totally normal amount of weight for day 4, and the headaches and nausea should be completely gone by tomorrow-you've made it throught the hardest part!
The first weight you lose on any diet is water weight, but especially so on Atkins, because its a good diuretic. Eating carbs actually makes you retain water-so now that you're not your body will let go of that. Some people lose more or less than you in water, but the book says that by day 5 you can be assured that whatever weight you lose from there on out is actual fat. Some people fluctuate more on the scale than others, but mostly that fluctuation is up, making you think you've gained. You really did lose 3 lbs, and from now on it's all gonna be fat coming off. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #38  

Red face

Thanks Rebel - and I missed that part about day 5 being the start of fat loss - that is good to know. I will be really glad when my nausea moments pass for good - for sure.

Thanks Buffy - and yes it is helpful to be on here talking to others. Someone else posted on here about how their DH is not supportive and I am in that boat too, so I am coming here for strength when I am tempted to "taste" something off my diet.

Oo Oo Oo - you would ask about exercise. I am not really doing to great in that area, just yet . I have been really focused on the food part because I am a major emotional eater be it stress or depression.

I bought a manual elliptical about a month ago that I can only manage about 15 - 20 minutes straight on. I did an escape your shape (EYS) workout on Monday with it (3 minute intervals) and my EYS bar. On Wednesday, I did the playground with my boys - 25 minutes straight (timed) on the swing. I didn't count the slide, see-saw or helping my boys with monkey bars or the swings - my hypocrisy only goes so far .

I have a workout from the bulletin of a local karate studio that I am looking at trying, but it is a bit overwhelming. Plus I found out I can not afford Karate classes for the three of us, so I figure why try to get into the preparatory workout.

I really need to find something I can do (and enjoy) along side my boys, because I am already working nights, and I don't want to take even more time away from them.

I really wish I could get FITtv again. I used to love to do the twenty minute step aerobic workouts at the top of the hour with Tamilee Webb. I have ordered several of her VHS tapes in hopes of getting them transferred to DVD so that I can play them.

My third workout for the week will probably be WAP - easy mile or another escape your shape workout if I am really energetic when I wake up in the morning. At any rate, after I manage to stay on induction the full two weeks this time, I will make myself do 3 workouts - real ones - not the playground - a week, somehow.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #39  

Hey-playing with the kids, especially boys-IS exercise! Just out of curiosity I checked it out-believe it or not, there is a whole part of the exercise section dedicated to just that, and it burns quite a few calories! It is hard to find time to yourself to get in a workout when you have small kids. We live in a really small town that is basically owned by the company my dh works for, so although it's small, there's lots of perks-one of which is a gym, and it's only $8 a month WITH a personal trainer! Even though I can practically see the darn thing from my front door, I still can't go. I have an 8 month old and no sitter. Hubby works long hours, and they are still open when he gets home, but he doesn't seem to realize how important this is to me so there's no help there. I swear, he's a great husband and a great father, but my weight doesn't bother him, and he thinks I'm nuts for busting my butt this far. As a matter of fact, he hates the idea of me doing Atkins, and when I was having some physical difficulties with it about 5 weeks in, he nagged me to death about how unhealthy Atkins is until I gave in and quit;started calorie counting. That lasted a little over a week. I gained back 3 lbs. I STILL haven't told him I'm doing the diet again, and he STILL hasn't noticed....it's been 3 weeks! I just do yoga at home with a DVD that I have, and work a little with small weights, crunches, etc., and that seems to be enough for now. That elliptical trainer will come in handy for you-they are a great workout! Any exercise we can get in is better than none at all! I have a Gazelle at home, but am ashamed to say that I haven't dusted it off in over 2 weeks. By the time I dig the big damn thing out and set it up, 5 minutes into it the baby cries, someone's hungry, or the phone rings. The only reason I even get to do yoga is that I stay up after everyone goes to sleep!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #40  

Question

Wait - hold up - do I understand you right? There is a whole section of exercise on playing with the kids to burn calories? WHERE? Please please direct me because I do that. I searched swinging on fitday and it didn't come up.

I understand completely about the dh. I am in the same boat. My dh said just do a few situps and I would be fine. He doesn't think I need to lose weight, but I want to. You are going to probably have to do what I have done all week which is fix the meals the way Atkins dictates and just add a piece of bread to his plate. I can fix a meat and two vegetables and give him a piece of bread and he doesn't even notice the difference except that I am making time to cook instead of us going out to eat.

Hey - do you know how exercise and then going to bed does? I get off work at 2AM so in guilt went ahead and did 30 minutes of step aerobics with tamilee, but went to bed about 30 minutes after.

Last edited by MsChris; 05-26-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #41  

Hello MsChris and Rebel -

Playing with the kids IS a good workout. Here's something to try -- go to a playground with the boys and plays running games like sprinting back and forth (kind of like tag or something). The boys will think it's fun and you will NO DOUBT get a great workout. Short sprints in intervals of 15 mintues is like walking for 30 minutes! Brisk walking!

Also, if you do go to the playground, make it worth it. Play on everything with the boys. On the monkeybars, try to do some pull-ups. On the other equipment, it's all a workout believe me! And it's free! if you can do that 3 times a week, you are good! Once you get more strength and energy, believe me, you'll find some time to do a workout video or possibly run on your own -- or walk -- when you have the time.

You are doing great so far -- the exercise too. Don't be too hard on yourself...from what you described below, I think you are doing great!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #42  

Mschris-on fitday, click on "activities" on the left. Then on the "browse" drop down menu select "home activities". They have everything from caring for an infant, to cleaning house, to sitting playing with children, to walking/running playing with children. If you select the "moderate walk/run play with child" (there is also light and vigorous!), it says you burn about 200 calories in an hour! That's the same amount it lists for bicycling at 10 mph for the same amount of time-gotta love that....a new incentive to play with the kids!
Buffy's right-you can get in a workout, and entertain and spend time with your kids at the same time. Not only are you killing two birds with one stone, they'll have a blast...

I think it's okay to exercise before bed. I seem to sleep better after exercise, but that's really my only option. If you can exercise early in the morning, it's probably better to do that, because it will boost your metabolism for the day and give you more energy. My 6 and 4 year olds are at grandma's, so when the baby took a nap I got to do my yoga early.