Old 05-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #16  
I CAN do this !

S/C/G: 197/188/130

Smile

Congratulations on losing weight (buffy) and inches (needtolose) !
BrownEyedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks brown-eyed! I see you are on your way too! Way to go!
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #18  

Inches is awesome! I haven't checked my inches yet...I'm going to wait one more week. I LOVE this diet -- it's actually become easy for me now. I don't even crave anything! Do you think that will change with time?

I've also decided to do induction for a full month. Does anyone have any thoughts on how long you should do induction for? I'm finding it easier as time passes and I get more used to it. I love the energy I now have. It's amazine. My hubby is so happy to see me with so much energy.

About 2 years ago I was a size 4 - yup! Size 4! But that past 2 years I've let myself go and had a baby so...I'm quite bigger than that now.
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #19  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Cravings pretty much stay gone most of the time, but they can creep back in occasionally. The book says that you can safely do induction for up to 6 months or more, depending on the amount of weight you need to lose. A month should be fine. I haven't yet gone up on carbs. Some people can't do that and still lose weight, but I think that's pretty rare. As fast as you are losing now-that probably doesn't apply to you! After induction you are supposed to go up 5 grams a week until you reach a point where you still lose, but don't stall or gain. It may be 30 grams, it may be 90 grams-different for everybody. Of course you will lose faster the lower you stay. My fluffiness is from baby weight, too. I have, with the exception of after childbirth 3 times, lived very happily at a size 8, around 145 lbs. Don't think of it as letting yourself go-it's easy to gain and hard to lose when pregnancy is a factor! I had my last baby 8 months ago, and until I started Atkins, not one pound had budged.
The point of moving through the stages of OWL etc is to learn a new way of eating. Atkin's CAN be done for life, which I didn't understand at first myself. But living on induction forever is probably not a reasonable goal for most people. That's why we should progress through the stages, because the more variety we can add later on the more likely we are to stick to this in the long run. We don't have to live without bread or fruit forever, thank God!
I'm gonna do induction for about another 6 weeks or so myself. I want to lose as quickly as I can.
My hubby is not quite as supportive-he thinks Atkin's is unhealthy, and that's one of the reasons I went off plan for a while. I still haven't told him I'm back on, and he still hasn't noticed. In my opinion, being overweight is what's unhealthy, and this is working, and it's my body!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #20  

Hi Rebel -

Well you and I are in the same boat. I had my baby 9 months ago, although it's my first baby. You are right, I shouldn't look at it as letting myself go. Let's look at it as being side-tracked.

I guess we both know how to be fit and healthy since we were lower weights in the past. My trainer said since I worked out so much before, it's all about muscle memory. I love working out now -- and have been working out for 6 days straight. I just started running again. With a bit of weight off, I can feel it's easier on my poor knees.

Don't worry, my hubby thinks it's a bit unhealthy but does think being overweight it worse. Plus, he knows how unhappy I am being overweight so he's all for whatever makes me less moody.

Maybe let your hubby know how important this is to you...otherwise, if he really is against it and doesn't notice you are back on it, oh well! It IS your body and you should do what makes you feel best.

Are you working out? With three kids, I imagine every day is a good workout.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #21  

I do what I can at home-I wish I could go to the gym! My dh works 12 hour days, and with 3 kids it's just not possible right now. I have a Gazelle, which I should use more often than I do. I exercise about 3 days a week, after I put everyone to bed-mostly stuff like squats, crunches, lunges, etc with small weights. I also walk (with the stroller) when I can. I'm really just trying to get into better shape to be able to do yoga again. I used to do yoga every day, and I'm easing my way back into that. Believe it or not, that's all I had to do before to maintain. Most people think of yoga as easy, or just for relaxation, but it takes lots of strength and LOTS of practice. I love it because it retrains your body to breathe and move efficiently so that all day is a kind of workout.
I know what you mean about the knees-I'm only 27 and I have arthritis in mine, and I've also noticed how much easier it is to move just from what I've lost already. Now if my jean size would just go down! My "baby belly" has got to go!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #22  

That darn "baby belly!" I have it too. I'm 34 and want to have one more baby. We are going to try for #2 next year...and I'm thinking about getting something done with this excess skin on my belly. It seems to just be hanging there. Gross! Does it ever go away?? I also have stretch marks but they are started to fade.

I would love to try Yoga. I have the luxury of having a gym at work -- an actual full gym! They have classes there and everything so I'm definitely taking advantage of having it. It's easier without the baby around and basically I have my own time. My trainer has tried to get me into the mode where the workout is "my own special time." So I'm definitely enjoying that aspect of it. That gazelle looks cool. I use one of those machines in the gym and it really makes me sweat! They offer Yoga classes -- now I am thinking of trying one out...sounds like you would highly recommend it?

It sounds difficult to do with your hubby working so much. That must be hard. I hope you can find time for yourself -- even if it is after babies go to sleep at night. Do you have time for yourself? To read or hang out and collect your thoughts at night?

I noticed when I'm happier, I don't eat uncontrollably like I used to. I don't crave anything really...and just this past week when I felt like I wanted a little something, I eat one tablespoon of peanutbutter and that usually does it for me.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #23  

I think it will EVENTUALLY go away. My mom had 4 kids-she had the belly and the stretch marks. I'd say about 10 years after her last baby, and having maintained being slim that entire time, you can't tell. I had 4 years between my last two kids, and there was a dramatic improvement over time, but I had 3 c-sections, so I will always have "the pooch" unless I have it surgically removed. I can't have any more kids, so in a few years I'll probably fix it.

Yoga is great-I actually finished my whole video last night for the first time, and it felt SO good, physically and emotionally. If you're interested, but a beginners video to follow at home. I tried books first, but it's not the same as seing someone else do it correctly. When I did yoga every day, I had NO aches and pains. It burns calories, lengthens muscles, and tones and strengthens. As one friend of mine put it "It put her butt back up where it was supposed to be".
The only time I get to myself is after everyone's asleep. I usually stay up a few hours after that to read, watch tv, or exercise, as I refuse to contort or jiggle like that in front of my husband! I live in a small town, so I have a few friends with kids that meet at the park to talk and stuff while the kids play a few times a week. I'll be going back to work when the baby is a year old, so I'll get a "social life" back somewhat then....
My problem since the baby was born, and when I was preggers, was that I'm too close to the refrigerator for comfort. It's too easy to snack when you're pretty much home all day, but since I started this woe I really don't have the desire to anymore. The only hard part is keeping all the off limits food in the house for everyone else, i.e. everyone wanted pancakes this morning-and I have to smell all the butter and syrup as I make my separate meal!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #24  

I had a C-Section too. I know the pooch feeling. I think I will have my fixed too after I decided when my last baby will be my last. I'd love to have 2 more kids but I think now we are looking at 2 kids and we'll be very happy. The scar is really hard to see from the c-section though -- and it's really low so I'm happy about that.

I am going to try a yoga class at work this week. A co-worker of mine has never tried it either so we are going to try it together. Another co-worker told us it's for beginners and advanced and to just watch on when there are stretches we can't do yet. I hear great things about Yoga and now hearing it from you too makes me really want to try it.

It is SO hard to have to prepare the yummy foods for others. Pancakes! Now that is hard! Up until this diet, I have never lasted on a diet for more than a few days. I'm on day 13 now and have literally not cheated at all nor have I wanted to. I can't believe it! It's a wonderful feeling.

Today my hubby gave me a little crap about eating all that meat. For a while he tried to do it with me (although he doesn't need to be on a diet at all -- he's in great shape!) to make it easier for me but can't do it...actually he only lasted 2 days...ha ha...he loves his toast in the morning.

This week my goal is to bring in my lunch and snacks. We have a cafeteria at work and while it has wonderful and good healthy foods available, the variety for my diet is sparse.

Good for you for getting back to work. I took 5 months off with my son. I went back to work this past January. I guess you can say it was a great start for me.

I hope you had a successful weekend. Did you do ok on your diet and exercise?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #25  

Let me know how the yoga class goes-I've done a few classes, but I prefer to do that at home, just because I don't have to worry about how huge my butt looks bent over in downward facing dog! I did okay on the diet and exercise-I haven't cheated since I restarted with the exception of one sip of dh's jack and coke last weekend, which wasn't really "cheating" because it was probably only 5 carbs at the most. I haven't lost any lbs in about 4 days, which is not the norm since I started this, but it's my TOM so I'm trying not to get discouraged.
I had to go to my niece's b-day party today-LOTS of food and a HUGE cake. I wasn't tempted at all, which kind of surprised me, but had to listen to 20 people insisting "You've GOT to eat a piece of cake, it's her BIRTHDAY! One piece won't hurt!" But the fact of the matter is that it will hurt, and although I didn't want to offend anybody, I'm not about to blow my diet and get out of ketosis for a pice of cake that I didn't want anyway.
I am however worried about my vacation-hubby and I are going to mazatlan, mexico first of june, and it's gonna be hard to stay on track there with the rice, bean, and tortilla abundance, all of which will be calling to me from the hotel room ( I can hear it already ) I love mexican food, but will do my best to stay on plan there....
Good luck at your class-I hope you like it!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeleagle1965
but I prefer to do that at home, just because I don't have to worry about how huge my butt looks bent over in downward facing dog!
LOL! Yes, but dear.. remember.. everyone is facing the floor at the same time as you, so really.. nobody see's your butt. <grins>

I love Yoga, and have been doing it for years. I might be fat, but i'm flexable, and have toned my muscles regardless. My kids do it every morning as well, and I find it really brings on a peacefulness that lasts most of the day. I say most since it can't seem to last forever with kids. LOL!
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #27  

Falon is right, don't worry about what others think. Plus, you will be in there exercising right? It's not like you are eating cookies and cake AND watching people exericing...ha ha...

My weekend went well. Decided to finally have a little yummy treat last night and had the sugarfree jello and whipped cream. I'm actually trying to stay away from all treats for a while because I know myself. I can see myself going overboard. I'm scared to fall off the wagon!

I set a new goal for myself for the 4th of July. It's probably far fetched but hey, I like a good challenge!

My goal for the week is to eat breakfast every day (it's been one of my failures in the past not to eat a good breakfast), do cardio workouts everyday and see my results come Friday. My clothes are starting to fit a little more loosely! Which I love!

I have a nutty week at work so I think I'll have to try the Yoga next week. This week I'm going to focus on high impact cardio. One of my goals this year is to run a half-marathon here in my city. Think I'm nuts?

DAY 14 / Atkins Induction
Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #28  

Falon-Me, too. It does give you a peaceful feeling-it has been proven to reduce stress levels and even blood pressure. It's great for you all around. My kids do like to do yoga, too, and I really should let them start a healthy habit, but I desperately need SOMETHING to myself, and that's kind of my time out for me.

Buffy-You are absolutely not crazy for your goal to run a half marathon this year-you can do it! As much as you are exercising, you are well on your way! For the last two nights, I have finished my whole yoga workout-before I have been so out of shape I was just working my way up doing as much as I could of it and quitting. My goal this week is to keep up doing the whole thing beginning to end every night....if I can do that, and make it past all the beginning soreness, it will be yoga every day from here on out.

The scale finally moved again, 1 more lb gone!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #29  

Way to go rebel!!! That is fantastic news!!! I am so SUPER happy and proud of you. The exercise and diet is really working for you. And that is an excellent goal -- I know doing an entire video workout at home is hard. And you know what? I have a few at home and I have yet to finish even one of them!

I agree with having that yoga time for yourself. It's important to keep that alone time. Maybe you can incorporate a daytime yoga session with your kids? Then you could get an extra workout in there?!

When do you weigh yourself? I've decided to weigh myself every Friday now. So I'm looking forward to this week. I've been doing some weight training so I know that my weight may not go down as much as I would like -- but I am feeling a difference in my clothes. I heard it wasn't good to weigh yourself more than once a week -- do you agree with that?

Thanks for the support on the marathon. I really want to do it -- it's one of those things in life I've always wanted to accomplish.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #30  

That's a great idea about the two workout sessions so that the kids can join in-I hadn't even thought of that!
I know lots of people have the opinion that weighing too often can be bad, and it's different for everybody. If you aren't losing, it can be discouraging. I weigh myself every day, always in the morning, undressed, before I've had anything to eat or drink. Clothes, undigested food, water weight, etc can make you fluctuate drastically. I don't have a problem with up and down throughout the week since I started this, so I feel like every day is okay for me. I'm also kind of paranoid about gaining any back, so I kind of want a daily heads up to make sure that doesn't happen. Doing that may not make much difference, but it makes me feel better to see that my weight is at least the same even if it hasn't gone down.