3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Chromium Picolinate? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/51125-chromium-picolinate.html)

Cinnymamma 01-02-2005 04:35 PM

Chromium Picolinate?

What's the deal with this stuff? I have a book here on it, but I can't remember what I read here on the board about it. I am not sure if that's the one that can cause cravings to worsen, or if I am thinking about something else.

Any help would be appreciated!

Suzanne 3FC 01-02-2005 05:37 PM

Chromium Picolinate is one of the diet supplements that has been proven NOT to assist in weight loss. In fact, it can even be dangerous.

This is from our diet guide:
Quote:

Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive.

While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications.

Conclusion:
Avoid chromium supplements. They do not aid weight loss, and could result in health problems.
There are other types of chromium, but they also do not help. The only people that should take chromium supplements are those that are chromium deficient, which is very rare in this country.

Hope that helps :)

Spedmom 01-02-2005 07:06 PM

Cinny:

You've got to be REALLY careful with this stuff. I have a very mild seizure condition (and I only have seizures during my REM sleep cycle). I had flare ups during my last go around with Atkins, but didn't put 2-and-2 together. After I ended up in the hospital for my surgery this summer (something unrelated to the epilepsy), they had me make a list of ALL of the many, many, many supplements I had been taking during Atkins and I was told by a neurologist that chromium picolinate is advised against for patient's with seizure disorders. Makes you wonder what other popular things we're taking that may acually be doing us more harm than good!

Uggamugga4 01-02-2005 07:34 PM

Wow! That is really interesting! The last time I did low carb I took a lot of chromium supplements. How scary! Right now I don't take any supplements. Seems like every time they tell you to take something, they change their minds and say it is bad for you afterall.

Cinnymamma 01-02-2005 11:56 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOK! See that is what I thought I had read on here about taking it, but then I saw the book and everything it said about muscle building and weightloss and thought maybe I was wrong.

Thank you guys so much! I ended up tossing the book in the garage sale pile anyways :lol: I don't take any other supplements than a regular old multi vitamin, and some extra vitamin e, c, and folic acid. I wish I could take the oils but then I just seethe oil through my skin and hair. :eek:

lady_adnerb 01-03-2005 08:47 AM

Oh wow. Ok. Off to go and throw my bottle of that stuff away!!!!

KarenW 01-03-2005 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnymamma
What's the deal with this stuff? I have a book here on it, but I can't remember what I read here on the board about it. I am not sure if that's the one that can cause cravings to worsen, or if I am thinking about something else.

Any help would be appreciated!

Randi - If you are looking for something to help with Cravings, Check out L-Cartinine (I dont think that is quite the spelling but it is close) I take it when I am having trouble with a sweet tooth. It really helps.

Spedmom 01-03-2005 07:17 PM

Hey chicks:

At one time, didn't we have a thread where we listed what vitamins/supplements we were taking? I'm pretty sure that at one point I added and subtracted a few things because of some suggestions from others (particularly Star). Do you think it might be a good thing for us to do again?