Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Kill My Appetite Please

Ok. I remember (just don't remember WHEN or WHERE it was or I'd look for it myself ) someone mentioned an herb or vitamin that kills the appetite and suppresses the cravings for food. Anyone know what it is?? I think that would help me a lot.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Sorry Brenda, I don’t remember reading anything like that either. You know when the craving for something not healthy hits me I try to first eat something with high protein, like a piece of chicken or HB egg to make sure that I am not hungry and so I can find something much healthier but in the same ball park as what I am craving for. For example if I am craving ice cream, I’ll go and buy individually wrapped LC ice cream and try to eat it slow to enjoy it. If I crave cappuccino or mocha, I promise myself to make it myself as soon as I get home. If I want something sweet I make cheesecake or cupcakes. Actually I have made some and freeze them so that I don’t have an excuse that I don’t feel like making anything now and I just go get the full of sugar version of them, LOL. If I want something salty I get couple of piece of cheese. If I want something crunchy, then I am in trouble, LOL, since I can’t stop at just ¼ of a cup, I usually go at least one cup of cashew or peanut or walnut. So I think, at least for me, the craving always has been a head game. Now I think just like if I was trying to reason with a child to do the right thing and not harm herself or her body, I talk myself out of wanting the not healthy craving and try to convince myself to go for the much healthier version of what I am offering myself, LOL.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Brenda, be careful of herbal products (or any diet pill), although tempted myself, I would not recommend them because not only are they NOT regulated they can reeeeek havoc on your system.

How about a bowl of veggies, some hot broth (that makes the tummy feel full), a cup of coffee ??
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

When I started this I was taking the Atkins vitamins and other supplements. One of them was an appetite suppressant (sp? ). It worked GREAT!! But I'm not sure I want to continue with that brand or if there was something else out there. Maybe for a few more months I should get those...at least until I reach goal
Old 10-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #5  
Somethin's gotta give

annnnndddd....WHAT would those be called?
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

Atkins Dieters' Advantage

The Atkins site describes it like this:

Dieters' Advantage makes it easier than ever to manage your appetite during controlled carb weight loss! This advanced formula provides HCA, which plays an important role in natural appetite management, chromium to help support blood sugar already within the normal range and L-carnitine. Stimulant-free Dieters' Advantage is an ally in maintaining good nutrition during weight loss.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:21 PM   #7  
Somethin's gotta give

Stimulant free?...welllll, what the heck good is that???

{{{{VAROOOOOOMMMM!!!!}}}
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

lol. I could use a stimulant right now. But I'd also like to have my appetite gone. I don't like the jitters I get. Besides....when I take stimulants I don't sleep. Not a pretty sight after not sleeping for a couple days!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #9  
Head Princess

Just a note - I've done some research on L-Carnitine and it's not proven to do much of anything. I've also tried using it and I'm still not sure I can say one way or another that it's useful.

However, Glucosomine can help curb cravings for sweets. I can't vouch for it since my downfall has always been potatoes and pasta, not candy. But I have know people that say it does help.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:27 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Talking Diet Pills

Brenda my friend, keep in mind that even if you take a weight-loss supplement, you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight. And know that even if these products were to help you lose weight initially, you'd have to continue taking them in order for the weight to stay off, which is neither practical nor safe.

You may think herbal supplements are safe because they're labeled "natural." But many herbal supplements contain active ingredients that can harm you if taken with certain prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.

In addition, some medical situations increase your risk of adverse effects if you take herbal products. Talk to your doctor before taking any herbal products

A word of caution: Limited FDA regulation

In 1994, Congress passed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA). This act limited the FDA's control over products labeled a "dietary supplement." The DSHEA states that manufacturers don't have to prove the safety or efficacy of a product before they put it on the market. With this act, Congress acknowledged that consumers believe supplements provide health benefits and that they want greater responsibility for deciding if herbs are helpful to them.

As a result, herbal products and supplements aren't subject to the same rigorous standards as are prescription drugs or those sold over the counter. Herbal supplements can be marketed with limited proof of effectiveness or safety. Vendors can make health claims about products based on their own review and interpretation of studies without FDA authorization. However, the FDA can pull a product off the market if it's proved dangerous.

Some herbal supplements are purported to curb your appetite. Many claim to increase the rate at which you burn calories. Others say they block your body's absorption of fat or carbohydrates. Unfortunately, the effectiveness of these products varies. Often there's no scientific evidence that they work at all. And many herbal diet products have been associated with serious health problems or death.

Bottom line...........is it worth it ? is it worth risking your health ?

There are natural ways to curb your appetite....

Some people report decreased cravings and less drive to overeat when they modify their diet in the following ways. You can try some of these techniques and see if any work for you:

Eat breakfast to improve alertness, performance, and mood to start your day off right and avoid overeating at lunch or dinner.

Eat small snacks throughout the day instead of large meals and eat only when you are physically hungry.

Become familiar with your body's signals. Don't eat just because it's mealtime. Eat when you're hungry and stop when you’re satisfied, not stuffed.

Have high protein foods and high carbohydrate foods together at meal times to keep blood sugar levels normalized.

Satisfy your carbohydrate cravings with complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread, low fat crackers, low fat popcorn, whole grain cereals, beans, or whole grain pastas and brown rice. Your body absorbs complex carbohydrates more slowly than sugars and thus, they will bring you up and ease you down more gently.

Eat more high fiber foods to feel full longer and minimize hunger.

Eat a balanced diet. Do not significantly restrict fat or carbohydrates or go on a starvation diet. Your body requires all the nutrients a balanced diet provides to function optimally.

Limit or avoid alcohol in the diet since it is a depressant. It might make you depressed, which in turn, might stimulate carbohydrate cravings to make you relaxed, and happier again.

Can't hurt to try....

Love you babe
Old 10-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

*sigh*. It's too bad there wasn't a "placebo" pill I could take to fool myself into believing I wasn't hungry
Old 10-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

I know darling, believe me, I know. I've thought about it many a times but the fear that these things can do to me puts the idea to rest (at least for a while).

God gave us an abundance of diet pills, natural ones, they fill our farms from state to state. They are called Veggies !! There is no reason for you to be hungry, eat until you are full. Is there anything else that can compare?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #13  
Baby Steps

But...if I fill myself with veggies....then there goes the carb count ALONG with the calorie count. Can't lose weight and eat too
Old 10-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #14  
on my way down again

I like to have the good ol Atkins' recipe ribs in the fridge. They curb my appetite when I do. It's amazing how one or even a couple of bites can do it. And zero carbs.

Last edited by Barbie101; 10-13-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

The carb count might be a tad higher but the calories are low w/veggies. How about some veggies & dip. I can't imagine one or two cups being that much over the carb count. Whats low cal, low carb is chicken & fish. I know your gonna gag at the next statement but drink more water... I know I know !!! How about unsweetened iced tea. Create something you like.

Some chicken dipped in sunflower seeds lol !!! Just bustin.

THINK THINK !!!!!!