Old 03-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Red face I'm an honest lier!!!

You know I've been in a rut now since October. I know I've allowed myself to get into some bad habits. I know better then to do the things that I've been doing. Really it does seem harmless but they add up. Caffeine is running through my veins instead of blood.coffee.I nibble at the food on the kids plates to make sure that it tastes alright. As if they are going to be poisioned... I can't seem to get in enough water....Really I'm lacking in alot of things I need to tend to in order to make this plan work.

I caught myself today thinking about switiching plans...going to South Beach. I don't even know enough about SB to switch. Then it sunk in!! I'm not even beoing 100% honest with myself at my Atkins plan. I'm not even eating the Atkins plan. I've been nibbling here and tasting there to much...not drinking the right things...etc.

Does anyone else ever try to fool themselves? I really have to get myself back on track. I tend to get derailed and then justify things. I'ts not like I'm eating totally off plan but really I might as well be because the things I've been doing add up!!

Years ago when I hit a platue I ended up going to WW and it was a downward spiral and I gained all of my weight back because I went back to old habits and CARBS!!

I don't want to switch plans. I know that Atkins will work but I HAVE TO DO THE PLAN!! Instead I let myself believe that I'm doing a good job. Yes, I have lost a good bit of weight but let's get realistic I need to lose about 100 pounds more. I know it will take me a while but I'm just prolonging it with my lazy approach.

Anyone else in this boat.....want to join me in getting rid of the nibbles...caffeine and soda!?!?!

I needed to get that off my chest and get honest with myself!!
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

I'm with you on that one. I've had to seriously check myself when I cook the girls supper/lunch (whatever) because I'm a finger-licker. If it's on my finger, I lick it off. So I've had to quit that habit. I've also deluded myself the past 3 weeks (the weeks that nothing dropped off and the tape measurer didn't move) when I said I was OP. Yes, I WAS OP but....I had way too many carbs. I had added in Sunflower seeds and instead of measuring them I just grabbed a handful, dropped them into the salad and figured "oh that's not that much. It won't affect me at all." That's why I've had to go back to STRICT induction because I can't kid myself this way. I also have to stay away from the DT Mt Dew for a while.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #3  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Hi Chrissy:

I think we all tend to try to rationalize our eating behaviors. The difference, I've found, between "dieting" and making a lifestyle change (and Atkins IS a lifestyle change) is when you get real with yourself. The lying and rationalizations fade away and you're hit with the realization that this is it. Not everyone hits that point the first go round, so be patient with yourself.

As far as the caffeine goes.......sorry, but I can't join you. I drink at least one pot of coffee per day (no add-in's usually) and about 1-2 liters of diet coke on top of a gallon of water. (Thank goodness there's a bathroom in my classroom!). I made the decision that I would rather have a slowed-down weight loss than give up those items. That's just a personal decision, because I felt that I was doing so well giving up carbs that to deny myself further would put me in self-pity mode!!! Anyway, I've still lost 29 pounds since late December, so obviously the caffeine hasn't had that disastrous an effect!

My personal opinion is that you have to give up the nibbling (because it DOES add up), and try to possibly cut down on the caffeine. Then look at what you might be adding into your coffee. The creamer and those blue packets are NOT carb free. Then have a little reality check/intervention with yourself and ask yourself honestly what you are willing to give up and if it's worth what you'll be gaining (or, in this case, LOSING!).

Good luck Chrissy!
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I have to stop myself sometimes in mid-air.... like when I am cooking for my kids. Say last night for instance... I am about to throw the spoon from the macaroni and cheese into the sink and was going to stick it in my mouth to clean it prior to doing that.... I stop in mid air and go what are you doing (you do not even like mac and cheese). It is hard to cook not being able to taste but I am getting hold of it... I have turned the 11y.o. into my does it need anything person.

I will have to agree with Spedmom about the caffeine... if it comes down to it... the caffeine is going to win. Diet soda and coffee are essential staples in my life and until I can just sit them down I will have to cope with a slower loss.
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

I've noticed that when I drink my Dt Mt. Dew that I don't drink as much water as I should. It's one reason I need to cut it out. Or at least save it for special occasions. I never thought to ask the daughters if the food needs anything Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

Ahh, I thought I was the only person still consuming caffeine. I've just never cut it out. I like full-leaded coffee every once in awhile and diet soda any chance I get. But, I still drink plenty of water. Tons of water, in fact. I just like to drink!

Since we're being honest with ourselves here, I've got to confess something. The last three weeks I've been drinking three 8 oz. glasses of grapefruit juice per day. Also, after I weigh-on on Monday, if I have a loss, I reward myself with a Hershey's Smores Bar (OH-SO-GOOD!). Now, I know that isn't typical Atkins, but it seems to be working. I've lost nine pounds in the last three weeks. The candy bar doesn't cause any cravings, and I know it's my reward, so I work hard all week to get it. It may not be the best thing to put in my mouth, but a once-a-week candy bar isn't going to kill me, is it??

Of course, on top of those extras, I am aso getting in at least a 3-mile walk/day, and my eating has been very OP. I've also got my hunger under control, so I'm not eating constantly.

There's my honesty for the day!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 6"

Funny you brought this up. I was just thinking to myself on the way home about my caffine. When I started Atkins I gave it up totally.. it was harder then heck but I managed it and all the nasty little withdrawls that came with it. Well lately at work after I drink my first 7cups of water for the day I've been compromising with myself that it's ok to have a small glass of diet coke. It started out as once a week and now it's become a daily habit. I need to stop this before the addiction resinks it's claws into me. However, I do not plan to give it up when I go out places. If I'm sitting in a bar or an eating establishment you bet your sweet butt I'm going to pleasure myself with at least a diet soda.
I also find myself wanting to lick spoons and such for taste. I've managed so far to keep it under control, but there were times it has come close.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #8  

OMG jdoggmartin: I was torn between laughing and rolling my eyes! Three 8 oz. glasses of grapefruit juice a day and a Hersey's Smores bar? I wish I could lose what you are losing by doing that. I think the juice is a good thing, healthwise.....I haven't been brave enough to venture into the fruit department and as for the Hersey's bar I don't know, as long as you are still losing and you don't get cravings because of it then who are we to say.

For those with the caffeinated soda...have you tried the caffeine-free? I don't think it tastes any different. Or do you just need the caffeine? I am not a pretty sight on caffeine so I never do it.

I have cheated before and then blamed this woe (not me) come weigh in day. But also, I haven't cheated in over 3 weeks now and still I haven't dropped a tremendous amount of weight. So what's up with that? But then I remembered that it is the easiest plan I have ever been on and I will get there eventually. Now, would I like a pizza, would I like a bagel, would I like some pasta? Yes of course I would, but I also want to look stunning by the summer and I think I finally realized that in order for that to happen I have to kick butt.

When I lose all the weight I am going to incorporate some of those things back into my diet just not like before. I will get low carb foods when I can, stick with whole wheat pasta and only have pizza once a month.

So ChrissyB, yes we all do it. This is hard work and who wants to do this all the time? Think of all the good foods out there that we can't eat. How could you NOT want them.

I wish StarPrincess was here today because I know she would give you the best advice. She did once for me....she told me "Jane, when you decide who is in control you will will lose the weight" I now walk around talking to myself saying "who's in control Jane, who's in control" Hey, it works
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

Yup, Star was the great inspiration artist. I'd like to think I'm in control of my appetite but it's not TOM so I can lie to myself I've never been able to control anything so to lose the weight I have is amazing to me. And to not crave chocolate in non-TOM days is great! I'll give in when TOM is around but I'm doing my dangedest to be my best otherwise. I was just thinking to myself today that I don't even really miss spaghetti, pizza or that stuff. Some day maybe I'll eat it again. But as of right now? I don't want to. Maybe when I'm trim and slim. What am I looking forward to most? Cherry cheesecake on my birthday (Traditional dessert for me and my sis). Do I think it's going to taste as good as it used to? No. But gotta try it to decide right?

So I say: You're all doing GREAT!!! Keep up the good work!! I like the motivation you all give me to keep going. Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #10  
Domestic Goddess

Funny thing is I am a control freak!! No joking I am rediculous and have to keep myself in check. FOOD and WEIGHTLOSS are the only things that I can't control in my life. In reality I don't control the rest either...but I like to think I do

I know that the caffeine will slow my weighloss down but I am really not willing to give it up. I drink it black so I don't have the worry about cream and sweetners. Soda...I get the ones that are sweetened with Splenda unless I don't want to spend the extra $$ then I'll drink diet coke. I agree with one of the other posters.....if I'm drinking the coffee and soda then I'm not drinking my water. I do like water...I just LOVE coffee and soda!!

My mom and I talked today and she's been doing the South Beach plan. She really likes it. I'll admit the thought of having a glass of milk or orange juice is really appealing. I'd also like to have some fruit when it's in season.

The way I look at it I've been stuck now for months not really following the plan honestly. So, if I SB and maintain what I've accomplished then that's fine. If I lose a few more pounds then that's great. If I gain.....I will not let that happen. I've promised myself that I'll weigh myself weekly. So what do I have to lose????

I'm going to snoop around this board and the net and see what I find out about SB!!

Blessings to all,

Chrissy
Old 03-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Chrissy, yes yes and yes to all your questions. The only thing I wouldn't do right now is switch plans because if I just get one little sip of OJ I'm done, I'll wind up drinking the entire carton and washing it down with a box of donuts. I'm an all or nothing person so I just can't even have that little bit
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I am just completely convinced that if I slip and eat any off program- carbs then I will be done in. I ate like a champ for a year... nothing off program lost 50 pounds and met goal and felt like a million dollars. Then Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled around that year and I wanted to "bake".... and well that was all she wrote! It was down hill from there or up weight or what ever you want to call it. I am really walking a thin line here.... I would love to have something with sugar in it or a piece of bread but I am sure it would be the end of me.... I really think that if I eat something that would normally cause a binge then it would be back to the drawing board. It really seems pretty all or nothing...
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Chrissy, your last post sounded like a page out of my journal, Why is it that I can control and accomplish so much yet not manage this weight thing. That has been my achillies heel for years. A big difference for me was reading the book, 7 habits of highly effective people. It's not necessarily about weight loss but as I read it, I found it applied so much to this, it talks a lot about controlling your responses. It's was amazing how much i was on autopilot during so much of my life. I actually repeat that to myself a few times a day, I am in control, I choose what I do. But I think you do have to throw yourself into it, whatever it is, the determination to do this only comes from the doing. So whatever you choose, give it your all!

Tummy
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #14  
Domestic Goddess

I was really thinking about this morning...thinking about trying SB and I've decieded that I'm going to stick with Atkins for one more month. During this month I'm going to give it my 100%.. If I was doing this for someone else it would be done with 100% of my effort so who should'nt I do that for ME!!! I'm a perfectionist...I like to be in control and I have to teach myself that I CAN CONTROL my food.

So, today is the day that I'm going to start....I am going to give this 100% of my efforts and I'm going to do the following....

1. Drink my water....drink and then drink some more. I really do like water...I just need to make this my main beverage.

2. I'll have coffee but I have to limit it to one or two cups a day. I'll probably just have one cup in the morning and then a cup after dinner.

3. Watch my portions. My biggest meal is usually dinner. I'm running around all day long and when it comes to breakfast and lunch I just usually grab something LC and keep going. When dinner rolls around I endulge. From now on I'm going to have a set limit on my protein portion. I think I"ll start with 6oz. of protein. Then I'll add my veggies and salad. I also have to watch how much fat I'm adding...like butter and salad dressings.

That's basically it. I know this plan works. I know it will work if I get my butt moving and do the plan the way it was designed to be done!! LOL!!

Oh, one more thing...no licking, nibbling, tasting food from my childrens plates!!

Thank you so very much for posting with me. I've just been really feeling down lately. It's good to know that I'm understood.

Blessings to all,

ChrissyB
Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #15  
Baby Steps

Chrissy: I went through the blues also. Couldn't figure out why others could eat what they wanted and be thin sticks and I had to watch what I ate and still was gaining weight. This WOE has been a miracle for me and I'm truly amazed at how well it works! I told myself I'd give it 2 weeks and when I didn't lose weight I'd just figure I was meant to be big. Imagine my surprise when after 2 weeks I had lost 10 pounds. No other diet (weight watchers, watching portion sizes, etc) did what this WOE is doing for me. And the great thing is I'm not hungry. So give it your best shot. If it doesn't work after 2 weeks you KNOW you've done your best and can go on trying something else knowing that this really isn't your style. Good luck and we're rooting for ya!!!