FAQ Help - Need Yours

• I'm starting to put together a thread for FAQ's.

Please let me know if you have anything you would like to add to it.

Thanks, Leenie...

Post it here on this thread.

HUGS !!!
  • Excellent synopsis, Star. I'd like to see us also add a little blurb about the importance of proper hydration, not just for keeping the body functioning at its peak performance level but also for its role in helping maximize weight loss!
  • Leenie, I would like to see something about proper fat/protien/carb ratios which is a question I come across a lot. A link to Fitday would be a good idea as well.

Tummy
  • Okay Star, I'm going to try to split your thread into the other one.... gosh I hope I don't lose it.... I'm gonna paste & copy yours into this just incase. But I really want different folks to post in there....so I might unlock it in case I screw this up.

Bear with me.............

Ok, this is long but here's my contribution.

Before you start:

• Read the book! There is no way around it. The information Dr. Atkins has provided is vital to your health and success.

• Understand that this is not a diet. Diets are something you go on and off of. They are a quick fix. This is a way of changing your lifestyle to bring eating under control and to teach good eating habits.

• Expect withdrawl symptoms. Most of us have starch, caffeine, sugar (or all three!) addictions. Withdrawl happens with any substance you are addicted that you stop giving your body. Headaches, fatigue, nausea, or irritability are common symptoms for any type of withdrawl. Recognize the symptoms for what they are and be assured that they will go away within a few days.

• Understand each phase of Atkins. Life does not begin and end with induction. Be sure you understand how to transition correctly.

• Exercise is a must. Yes, you’ll probably drop some weight by changing your eating habits, but you’re success at losing and maintaining your loss will is significantly more likely if you exercise.

• There is no one way that works for everyone. What worked for your neighbor may not work for you. Research your options and make the best choice for you.

Tips and tricks:

• Do not try to satisfy sweet cravings with sweet things. Doing so defeats the purpose of this way of eating. The point is to get control of the bad stuff, not to find a substitute for it. If you have cravings, try eating something fatty like cheese or bacon. L-Glutamine supplements will also help control cravings.

• Avoid sugar alcohols. They are notorious for causing stalls as well as having a rather profound laxative effect. There’s a whole thread on sugar alcohols for more information.

• Read the nutritional charts and the ingredient lists. What is printed on the front of the package does not always match what is on the back. Most people have found that subtracting only fiber from the total carb count is the most effective way to go. Sugar alcohols are not always included in the total carb count, so be sure to check the ingredients!

• Stalls happen. Don’t get discouraged or upset. They happen. It’s part of life. Just keep working and you’ll get past it.

• Be adventurous with your food! There are thousands and thousands of low carb recipes floating around out there. Try some! Variety is essential for success as well as health. Avoid getting bored.

• Be adventurous with your exercise! There are lots of ways to get your exercise without going to the gym or doing aerobics. Take brisk walks, power-clean your house, try pilates or bellydancing, jog, walk your dog, dance, go join some young kids on a playground….you get the picture!

• It's all about attitude. You must be willing to take charge of your body and your lifestyle. Losing weight is work. Keeping it off is more work. Decide you're worth it and go for it!
  • YEAH !!! DID IT !!

Anyone else ?
  • Thanks, Leenie! Since you have the artificial sweetener stuff on the FAQ, are you going to drop the other sticky about it?
  • I am going to rearange the sweetnlow/splenda thing I have. I'll do it tomorrow when I have a wee bit more time. I think its gonna look nice when its done.

Tummy and Sped have good items to add.... ladies write something up on it and I will stick it in that thread.
  • I think the question just asked about carbs and net carbs and subtracting is good it is one that confused me for the past month.
  • I'd like to see something there about:

1) water consumption
    2) ketostix
    3) reasonable weight goals-- like how much you can expect to reasonably lose in induction (10-20% of total weight) and after (0-2 pounds a week). It drives me crazy when I see people lose 14 friggin pounds in induction and then complain about only losing 2 in their 3rd week. Ummm hello? That's GREAT. Maybe also some links to BMI, AMR, and BMR sites too
  • Why is the FAQ un-sticky?
  • Star, it unsticks itself and unlocks itself every time I merge a thread into it...blasted thing lol.

Spedmom - I added your post but I had already had something on headaches...

THIS IS WONDERFUL !!!

You guys are the best, any more write up's I can add ???
  • Hey Leenie! Can you edit that last one you put up there about net carbs? It looks like your saying not to count sugar alcohols or glycerine and we all know the whole contraversy over that.
  • Okay its underlined as well

Thanks !!
  • Actually, it was the definition of net carbs followed by the statement that net carbs are all you need to count when on Atkins.

Total carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols - glycerine = net carbs

when really, it's more like

total carbs - fiber = what you should count (at least most of us have decided that)

Am I making sense? It's been a long day

Thanks, Leenie!