Induction Question

• Hello,

Can you eat carb controlled foods during induction?

I know that sounds like a dumb question. Logically, it seems like you can but I'm worried that it's too good to be true! My book is 6.5 years old and those foods did not exist back then so there is no mention. I tried one of the Atkins wraps from Subway (yummy!!!) last night and now I'm worried that I screwed up my induction phase. I looked up the tortillas on the Atkins website and ordered them. With all of the substitute items available now, I think I can actually stick to this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can eat tortillas, I will be down to my goal weight by this summer!!!!!!!! The possibility is just about to make me jump up and dance!
    I could never stick to Atkins even though I know it works for me because I just could not handle the lack of options.

For the past few years I was 280 (I'm 5'11") and could not lose more than about 5 pounds no matter how hard I tried. Using low doses of ephedra I finally whittled down to 240. Since it's been outlawed, again, I can't manage to lose any more weight. I've steered clear of Atkins because I HATED it before (even though it worked in '97 way back when I only had 30lbs extra to worry about). Now I'm DESPERATE and started induction last Sunday. I will need all the support I can get; so will be stopping by everyday until I can look great for my BEACH WEDDING!!!

Thanks!!! (sorry for the long post)
  • Hi hippychick and welcome! During induction you are only supposed to eat what's on the "acceptable list". Not sure if that list changed over the years. I know somewhere on here they had a list of that. I'll see if I can hunt it down for you. Induction lasts as little as 2 weeks. After that you can slowly start adding in more carbs. I throw in a few of the low-carb foods that aren't on the induction list every now and then (mainly when I NEED chocolate. lol) just to spice up my diet. Sorry to say the tortillas aren't on the induction list. Might want to save them until after your induction phase. As I'm told (because I ask a lot of questions also) --no question is a dumb question
  • Hi Hippychick -

Stick with your induction list and save the other stuff for later. Induction is like boot camp - you have to go down to the very basics so you can rebuild your eating habits correctly. And isn't two little weeks worth a lifetime of healthiness?

Also, please read the sticky thread on sugar alcohols. Just because a package claims to be low carb doesn't mean that it is.
  • Heheheh...I knew if I waited long enough Star would come to the rescue She's great if you have any questions. She also posted (somewhere) the actual list for induction. I can't seem to find it but if you want to check, it's at www.atkins.com under "induction".
  • Thanks ladies. I'll make through!!!

I just hope I didn't mess it up last night.
  • One mess up - you'll survive. It's those repeated mess ups that can do you in!
  • You can go to the Atkins online site for all the information as well. I printed the list off for induction and have almost faithfully except for a popcorn chicken munchie stuck with it.
    How much have you lost since last Sunday?
    I am down 7 lbs in the 2 weeks this coming monday since I started. Not as good as some but still good for me. Funny thing was my scale didn't register anything down then boom about day 5 I was down 4 lbs. Weird
  • I weighed in on Saturday and I was down 5 pounds. Yay!!! I'm so excited!!!

I will see my fiance for the first time in two months this weekend and I am down 20 pounds since he saw me last. (I put on 15 over the holidays and it dropped right back off again in two weeks with walking only but I hit a plateau after that.)
  • Oh and I forgot to mention. I found this info on the Atkins site; so I guess you CAN eat the stuff without actually messing up the Ketosis, but you just SHOULD NOT for health reasons. Anyway, it apparently did not cause any problems for me because I have been eating one every day. I figured it it caused me not to lose weight, I would just start over. I really wanted to do what I could stick to. I have SUCH an aversion to eating just the stuff on the induction list. It makes me feel sick.

"Convenience Foods
    Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
    While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction. "