Powdered Shake Mix?

• Has anyone tried one of the powdered shake mixes? I have tried the pre-made shakes that wal-mart sells (I think they are Carbolite brand). I liked them because they didn't taste bad and they had a good amount of vitamins and such in them. However, they were pretty pricey--4 shakes for $6 or something like that. I thought the powdered shake mix would be a lot less expensive--but before I shell out money to try one, I thought I would see if anyone here had tried them and had an opinion. I was thinking about going with the strawberry flavor--but if you have an opinion on any flavor, any brand, please share!!

Thanks,
    Becky
  • We use the Atkins brand vanilla flavor as a base for any other flavor. For example, DH like blueberry shakes and I like decaf coffee shakes and chocolate shakes. We use the powder, add unsweetened soy milk, some davinci SF syrup, and ice, along with whatever flavor we are having. I might add instant decaf coffee, or unsweetened cocoa, and he might add 1/2 cup blueberries or 1/2 cup raspberries. We use these for days we are craving ice cream, chocolate, or coffee. I have to use the soy milk because of a problem with milk and cream. There is only 1 net carb in the soymilk and 1 net carb in the powder. Berries are a little higher. Have fun experimenting. But use a electric blender for best results.
  • I bought the "Carbwise" brand vanilla shake mix. I had one tonight, mixed up in my blender with ice and water. It was pretty good! There was a little bit of a chalky taste, but it wasn't bad. I think I'll try adding some orange or banana extract next time I make one up. I'm going to have to try the coffee and chocolate flavors you mentioned too! We don't have the Da Vinci syrups anywhere around here, and I havne't found anyone with reasonable shipping online, yet. But so far, so good with the shakes!

By the way, congratuations on your weight loss!! Your stats are very inspiring!

Becky
  • hello.....
    I can't say that I've had the powdered shake mix, but I buy the canned Atkins shakes. I usually buy the 4 pak for $7.00 and use them sparingly. I used to have one a day and then found I wasn't losing very much. Now I have 1-2 max per week. What I do is get a large cup and put shaved ice in it and then pour most of the shake in the cup. Next I use my hand held braun mixer/chopper to pulverize the ice even more to more of a 'milkshake' thickness and then add the rest of the can. It is really satisfying and adds more air into the drink like those whipped frappoccino's but for only 1 carb.
  • I tried the shake mix with a 1/4 tsp of orange extract and a teeny bit (somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 cup) whipping cream--boy was that yummy!! I think the whipping cream cut out some of the chalky taste that the plain vanilla had, plus with the hint of orange flavor, I could pretend it was a creamsicle milkshake. Yum! I think it is a good idea to only do a few a week, even though I'm not sure what is in them that would make a person stall--they don't have that malitol or sugar alcohols or anything--but there has to be something in there that makes them taste good that is bad for you!

Becky
  • Becky, Have you looked at netrition.com? You can get the davinci syrups--all flavors--with only a $5.00 flat shipping charge in continental U.S.
  • Really? i haven't seen that website---I'm going to have to check that out!

Thanks!
    Becky