Low Carb Bio's

You're on Page 16 of 17
Go to
  • starting over and looking for support this time around
    Hi today is my first day back to Low carbing

my name is Janneke, and I will be 35 in Dec and hope to be back to my former size in time for our family photo. I am a wife of 13 yrs to Brian, Mom to Parker, Xander, & Jake, and college student once again. I work part time and shuttle kids around the rest of the time.

ATKINS START DATE: I started Atkins in 1999 and lost 40 lbs and keep it off until I got PG and it has been a struggle for the last few years. I am done with babies and breastfeeding and ready to reclaim my body for myself.

TOP WEIGHT: 203lbs

CURRENT WEIGHT: today I was 193lbs

GOAL WEIGHT: 145lbs

HEIGHT: 5'5

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Austin, Texas

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: my hubby loves to bring in sugary foods, which is fine for him he is 6'1 and 170.

WHAT EXPERIENCES CAN YOU SHARE: as strange as it was the first time around I found it easier to LC at home, since there was so few options, but now I find that I can stick to the LC way easier eating out. you order what is needed and you go, nothing to tempt you.
  • Hey...again...yeah, this my 3rd attempt at Atkins. I tried it a couple of times in the past, but fell off even though I was losing weight. I also did LA Weightloss and was very successful for about three months. Unfortunately I'm back to my original weight from three or four years ago.

Anyway, my wife is on WW right now so I figure this would be a good time to try again. I'm motivated right now and want to drop 40-50lbs.

My real name is Jason and I'm from Newfoundland. I am serving with the Canadian military and have been for over 13 years. My top weight was 273lbs 4 years ago. I was 270lbs three days ago and am now down to 263lbs...my goal is to reach 220-230lbs.

I am married with 2 kids...15 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son. I am crrently 37 yrs old. Oh, no pets...

This means I'll be in here picking your brains and looking for help over hurdles!

It's nice to be back...
  • DATE: 2/08/10

USERNAME/REAL NAME: honeybjones/melissa

BIRTHDAY: 2/05

MARITAL STATUS: married

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): we are childfree by choice

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: sewing, knitting, computer games, reading,

PETS: 2 weenie dogs, Dr. Weener (DW) and Private Weener (PeeWee)

ATKINS START DATE: 2/01/10

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: husband needed to lower his A1C and I was already following a calorie controlled plan of my own so I suggested Atkins to him, he agreed and I jumped the fence.

TOP WEIGHT: 232

CURRENT WEIGHT: 222

GOAL WEIGHT: 180 and then 160. I'll still be overweight but I will be happy. I come from a long line of big girls. I don't think I even want to be thin.

HEIGHT: 5'1"

EYE COLOR: hazel

HAIR COLOR: dark brown with a whole lotta gray

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: heart o texas

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: my husband makes it so easy for me not to care about my weight. he doesn't like skinny women and we both like to buy pastries and eat them together while watching the food channel. also I have always been a big girl, was always surrounded by big girls so being big is normal to me.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I don't know. I am on a different plan. I have no hunger which is a new phenomena for me. I don't feel the need to snack incessantly like I usually do. I can't say I will be successful only that I am going to do everything I am supposed to do. I offer myself no guarantees.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? I have Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome which makes me very prone to injury, I am Jewish and don't eat pork but I do not keep Kosher either, my real goal is to not end up like my mom, I love to crack jokes because good gravy people take things so seriously like weight loss is their new religion or something.

WHAT EXPERIENCES CAN YOU SHARE: When heading to the meat department in the back of the store, walk through the baby or pet aisle so you won't be tempted by off-plan food. Don't lend more money than you can afford to lose. The people you step over on you way up are the people you meet on your way down. Give people enough rope and they will hang themselves with it. (Sorry if these were not the experiences you were looking for but I feel they are helpful regardless.)
  • Hawdy ya'll! My name is Sheila and I will be 37 on Sept 1st this year (2010).I am a wife of 15 yrs to my love and best friend Joel, Mom to Kristen (10),and twins Holton and Charles who are 8. I am full time preschool teacher (I love my summer's off!) but my main priority will always be to manage and maintian my family and home. I also sing in the choir at church.

ATKINS START DATE: July 2008 (many restarts in between as I will from time to time get an urge to find some kind of "balance" though my body screams for me to stay on course.

TOP WEIGHT: 227.5 (April 18, 2008)

CURRENT WEIGHT: 153

GOAL WEIGHT: 140 (I have a dream goal of 125, but that may be unrealistic)

HEIGHT: 5' 4"

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Baytown, Texas (Outside Houston/Galveston area)

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I get tired of always eating differently then everyone else, so I struggle with consistency.

WHAT EXPERIENCES CAN YOU SHARE:
    1. When losing .... focus on 10 pounds at a time. (Now that I am closer to goal, I am focusing on 5 at a time.)
    2. Realize that no matter what, no matter how hard it seems you are worth every ounce of effort this journey takes.
    3. There are days you will feel like a freak, there will be other days where the rest of the world seems like a freak.
  • DATE: 8/15

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Alana

BIRTHDAY: July

MARITAL STATUS: Married

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): Husband is a US Marine.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: History, Knitting, Camping.

PETS: 1 cat, 2 dogs

Primal START DATE: tomorrow

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB: peer pressure

TOP WEIGHT: 175

CURRENT WEIGHT: 165

GOAL WEIGHT: 135

HEIGHT: 5'6''

EYE COLOR: brown

HAIR COLOR: pink

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Okinawa, Japan

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: over eating, grazing on bad food, loving burger king.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I don't know.
  • DATE: 4/24/11

USERNAME/REAL NAME: wabrouq / Wendy

BIRTHDAY: 1/1

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): 3 children

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Photography

PETS: dog, Buddy

ATKINS START DATE: 3/9/11

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: I have done it before and it worked great! Now I just have to figure out how to make it a permanent lifestyle!

TOP WEIGHT: 212

CURRENT WEIGHT: 195

GOAL WEIGHT: 125

HEIGHT: 5'3"

EYE COLOR: blue

HAIR COLOR: dark blond

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Madison, WI

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: keeping it off!

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I have had several health problems lately and I realize that it is not going to get any better unless I take this seriously and make it a permanent change.
  • DATE: 5/7/11

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Daisee

BIRTHDAY: 5/5/93

MARITAL STATUS: Single

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Musical Theatre, music, running.

PETS: Dog & two cats.

ATKINS START DATE: 5/9/11

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: I'm trying the Dukan diet. I've had weight problems ever since elementary school, I've tried calorie counting/restricting numerous of times and it never seemed to work well. About a year and a half ago I seemed to "suddenly" gain about 20 pounds, and I noticed I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded after eating certain things. I had other symptoms and looked them up online and found out about insulin resistance syndrome. I then tried a strict low-GI diet and the weight seemed to melt off and I felt so much better. My mom has PCOS, so I'm already prone to it and insulin resistance, I also have a nodule on my pituitary gland, I don't know if that effects anything. Low carb type diets seem like they'll work for my body best.

TOP WEIGHT: 200 pounds

CURRENT WEIGHT: 167.4 pounds

GOAL WEIGHT: 130 pounds

HEIGHT: 5'6

EYE COLOR: Dark brown

HAIR COLOR: Very dark brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Southern California

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Getting bored and inpatient when I feel like I'm at a stand still.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: Having a scale to see my progress for motivation, and sticking to a diet that I know gives me good results.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? I'm a pescetarian - I used to be full vegetarian, but added fish to make dieting easier and because eating meat in itself is not a moral issue for me, the way animals are sometimes treated is. When/if I return to meat eating I want to eat free range, grass fed only.
  • I'm very new, I thought this was a good place to start.

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Carrie

BIRTHDAY:

MARITAL STATUS: Separated

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.):

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Art, Reading, Music

PETS: Lost in separation

ATKINS START DATE: Not really Atkins, but started low carbing (again) on May 30.

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: Because it's worked for me before, and I *feel* better not eating carbs and sugar.

TOP WEIGHT: 235

CURRENT WEIGHT: 188

GOAL WEIGHT: 135-140

HEIGHT: 5'4"

EYE COLOR: Blue-ish green-ish gray

HAIR COLOR: Dark Blonde

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Concentrating on nutrition when under stress.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I decided I'd rather be a thin middle-aged psychotic failure than a fat one! In all seriousness, too much stress for the past few years, what I put in my mouth is the only thing I can control. I've decided to just be thin. And I'm doing it for me this time, not for anyone else.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? Yes, I'm pretty cranky these days! (*lol*)

WHAT EXPERIENCES CAN YOU SHARE: My best successes at weight loss were with low-carb. I lost quite a lot on WW and reached goal, but as soon as I stopped writing down every mouthful of food (a full time job) the weight crept up.

I've lost 14 pounds between May 30 and June 17 eating low-carb and intermittent fasting.
  • DATE: August 1, 2011

USERNAME/REAL NAME: JB

BIRTHDAY:

MARITAL STATUS: Committed Relationship

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): Living with the man of my dreams for ten years and have two dogs a 7 year old lab and a 2 year old lab. They are my fur kids.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Hiking, knitting, walking, spending time with family and friends

PETS: Freaky and Trouble

ATKINS START DATE: Two weeks ago

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: My sister has celiac disease, my parents are both diabetics and suffer from high blood pressure. All of the research that I have done, it appears that this lifestyle change will be the best for me.

TOP WEIGHT: 272 lbs

CURRENT WEIGHT:245.6

GOAL WEIGHT:170

HEIGHT:5'10

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Depends which colour I dye it!

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Ontario Canada

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: IT always came back, I was not able to stick with it.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I am scared, although I am healthy I am worried about continuing to be healthy in the future.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? I have always felt that my insides don't match my outsides, recently however I am finding that I am accepting that people look at the outside and make a determination of worth. I hate shopping, I begrudge buying groceries and even more I hate looking in the mirror. On the inside I am a happy go lucky, sensitive, loving and caring person. Years ago I was engaged to a man who cheated on me and his reason for cheating was that he wanted to know what it was like to sleep with a skinny woman. I left and never looked back. My husband fell in love with the person on the inside and has always supported me and said whether it is a 100lbs or a 1000 lbs he does not care he loves me. It is the most amazing acceptance I have ever received. I am truly blessed, but I still don't like to look in the mirror! I want it to change!

• DATE: Oct 20, 2011

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Rocky Horror/Liz

BIRTHDAY: August 27

MARITAL STATUS: Legally single, committed relationship

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): I'm living with my parents again until I finish my Bachelor of Education. My mom is diabetic and does most of the cooking.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Singing, musical theatre, belly dancing, history, reading, movies, doggies, acting, music

PETS: 3 beagles

ATKINS START DATE: Not Atkins, just lower-carb. Pescetarian low carb. Starting tomorrow October 21st.

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: I've noticed that my stomach feels very heavy after eating a carby meal and I'm very puffy the next day. Basically bread is the devil.

TOP WEIGHT: 214

CURRENT WEIGHT: 200

GOAL WEIGHT: 145

HEIGHT: 5'4"

EYE COLOR: Dark green

HAIR COLOR: Dark brown

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Canada

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Carbs...

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: Lack of carbs!

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? I dunno I guess I'm ok?

• DATE: Oct 23, 2011

USERNAME/REAL NAME: cellie / Celeste

BIRTHDAY: April 1st (yes -- no joke. It's always a laugh when I go out on my birthday get ID'ed )

MARITAL STATUS: Committed relationship

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.):
    I'm a halfie. My mother is Filipino, and my father is British. They're both meat-and-potato-atarians. I also have an older sister. Both my mother and my father are short and overweight - my father much less now, as he's had some major stays in the hospital lately due to heart issues. My sister is tall and skinny as ****. I spent most of my life being tall and skinny too, but I have a bigger sweet tooth than she does and it caught up to me.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Design (Interaction design, graphic design, web design and industrial design!), Cooking, Anime/manga (big nerd. Went to Japan last fall. good times!)

PETS: 1 cat, Calvin. The most morbidly obese of them all in the household!

ATKINS START DATE: 10/21/2011

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS:
    A few things. Like most people, I ballooned when I entered university - it took me until now to realize (despite my mother's warnings) that my metabolism wasn't the same was I was when I was a teenager. I kept eating like a teenager, but wasn't digesting like a teenager anymore.

I entered university at 122lbs, but by 2nd year was hovering around 150lbs. I was unhappy with my weight at this time, but was incredibly busy (an interaction design degree = no spare time for anything, really) and enjoying going out for meals with my new friends.

In my 5th year, I took an 8-month internship at a leading technology company in Canada. I moved away from home, and took on a desk job for 8 months. When I left, I was 150lbs. When I came back, I was 169. I weighed myself on the 20th, and was shocked to see that number go up to 172. I decided to put my foot down, and fix this problem while its still a small one. I didn't want to see 175.

I chose Atkins because a friend had tried it and had success. Another reason I chose Atkins was because the information was free, and of all the things in my life I loved to indulge in, carbs was definitely #1.

TOP WEIGHT: 172.2

CURRENT WEIGHT: 166.2

GOAL WEIGHT: Short-term goal: 145lbs. Long-term: less than that.

HEIGHT: 5'7"

EYE COLOR: Brown

HAIR COLOR: Black

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Vancouver

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: I'm not sure how I'm going to sustain the Atkins lifestyle - frankly, my dad makes an amazing spaghetti bolgonese and I'm not sure I want to give that up forever because I can't eat pasta. I'm considering transitioning to a calorie-counting diet after OWL or pre-maintenance.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL:
    First time dieting; there is no "this time".

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU?

• DATE: 2/10/212

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Tommi

BIRTHDAY: 8/11/67

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): 3 kids, two girls (18 and 17), one boy (17). We are a 'blended family'. Mu hubby had the girls, I had the boy.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: Baking.. yeah, i know... Low carb and love to bake. I make unique cakes for friends and family

PETS: Hm, Cat, Ferret, Bird, Rabbit, and Fish

ATKINS START DATE: 1/15/2012

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: Have done it before with success. I can also track my 'status' with the Keto strips

TOP WEIGHT: 260

CURRENT WEIGHT: 250 (for two weeks now... argh)

GOAL WEIGHT: 180, but will be happy under 200.

HEIGHT: 5' 5"

EYE COLOR: Blue

HAIR COLOR: Its dyed brown with blond streaks.

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Dallas Texas area

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Family sabotague... and finding time to excercise with three teens.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I am at the point i have a hard time going up the stairs in my home. I cannot have that anymore. And my cholesterol is thru the roof.

• Starting Low Glycemic Lifestyle
    DATE: April 11/12

USERNAME/REAL NAME: Maggie2/Marg

BIRTHDAY: July 30, 1949

MARITAL STATUS: M

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): Hubby of 43 years Fred. Grown kids Winston, 40, Stacy 39 and Charlotte 37 One granddaughter Katie, 15

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: camping, travel, writing, reading, antiques, cooking, writing cookbooks

PETS: Einstein, a small terrior cross of some kind

ATKINS START DATE: Actually doing Low Glycemic Diet April 2/12

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: My doctor advised me that a low glycemic diet would be best for me and I think I can live with it

TOP WEIGHT: 250

CURRENT WEIGHT: 239.4

GOAL WEIGHT: 175

HEIGHT:

HAIR COLOR: Blond

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: Alberta, Canada

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Insulin Resistance

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: I understand the implications of insulin resistance

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU? I have been having some fairly major health issues for 16 years and have had real difficulty losing weight. I now know that I have insulin resistance and that it is probably the cause of my health issues as well as my inability to lose weight. It's amazing to discover that the weight is a result of insulin resistance and not that the weight created the problem. New reasearch shows that insulin resistance generally precedes weight gain.

• Hi, I'm Lee, 46 year old widower with two boys, ages 17 and 13. I'm 5'5", 235 lbs at present. I'm Type 2 diabetic, on metformin, actos, glimepiride & onglyza (lotensin and lipitor for HBP and cholesterol). My top weight was 240-something. My goal is to get down to 150 eventually, but below 200 will be a good start.

I'm trying to go completely carb free, or as close to it as possible. It's harsh, but I have found that going cold turkey is the only way I will be able to make a difference in my diet. Trying to count calories, carbs, whatever is too much work. I don't have the self discipline to keep from cheating. There's a snack machine not 15 feet from my office door full of yummy sugary sweets that calls out to me like a siren's song. A firm NO! is the only way I am going to be able to resist.

It's Monday, Day 3 since I started this journey. I hope I lose weight before losing my mind.
  • DATE: 9/5/14

USERNAME/REAL NAME: thechemistmommy

BIRTHDAY: 4/17/90

FAMILY INFO (anything you care to share about your family, children, hubby, etc.): My hubby is 30 and is a phenomenal support! He is on low carb too. My baby girl is my favorite (well, her and hubby) and she is turning 1 in October.

HOBBIES/INTERESTS: reading, walking, biking (except I never do it!)

PETS: none

LOW CARB START DATE: 5/30/14

WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE LOW CARB / ATKINS: My doctor told me to or I would eventually be diabetic.

TOP WEIGHT: 213

CURRENT WEIGHT: 180

GOAL WEIGHT: currently 135, but it is kind of up in the air as I want to see how I look at that point

HEIGHT: 5' 3"

HAIR COLOR: dishwater blonde

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: about two hours south of St. Louis, MO

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM IN WEIGHT LOSS: Cookies! Also, trying to exercise when I am always either at work or with my baby

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THIS TIME THAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL: First-timer!