Old 07-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #1  

Default Advice needed

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, I have been keto since April 24th.
When I started I was 15st1, 5ft2, aged 42 and 7 years into menopause! I have hypothyroidism and hypertension!
So I have been keto for a little over 2 months and lost 2 stone within the first 6 weeks! I have been stuck ever since.
I have macros of 20g carbs working out at 5% carb, 25% protein and 70% fat. I stick to this rigidly and also count calories, having between 800 and 1000 daily. I eat only between 12-8pm. The other 16 hours I have nothing but water. For some reason even after the 16 hour fast my ketones only measure 0.6, using a blood machine! Please help, what am I doing wrong???
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Fellow low carber/keto-er here (depends on the day). What are you eating? I found that I was losing weight great with low carb and IF...until I added in nuts. Nuts, with my body, stall my weight loss and even cause me to gain weight. You may have some food in there that just isn't working for your diet.

And it could just be a stall. I went three weeks without losing any weight, once, and then whoosh.

Also, you may want to consider that caloric restriction with Keto may be unnecessary so long as you eat the right foods. I was losing weight and still eating 2000+ calories a day until I added in the nuts. I think macros matter a lot more than calories do. Your body may be hanging onto fat because it feels like it's starving. Are you hungry?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Fellow low carber/keto-er here (depends on the day). What are you eating? I found that I was losing weight great with low carb and IF...until I added in nuts. Nuts, with my body, stall my weight loss and even cause me to gain weight. You may have some food in there that just isn't working for your diet.

And it could just be a stall. I went three weeks without losing any weight, once, and then whoosh.

Also, you may want to consider that caloric restriction with Keto may be unnecessary so long as you eat the right foods. I was losing weight and still eating 2000+ calories a day until I added in the nuts. I think macros matter a lot more than calories do. Your body may be hanging onto fat because it feels like it's starving. Are you hungry?
I'm actually not hungry, I do eat macademia nuts most days but was when losing, I did have less eggs for a while and that's when it seemed to stall, I have started eating 2 a day again this week so I'm hoping with it being a super food and good macros that will help.
I basically eat 2 boiled eggs with a tea spoon of soft cheese, followed by 50 grams of prawns with 2 tea spoons of a sea food sauce and about 10 nuts forms a cup of tea (unsweetened) for lunch. For dinner i have something like, eitger fish or meat (i eat all meats) crustless home made quiche, some mayo and avacado or spinach, a cuppa early evening and nothing but water from 8pm till 12 the next day! I do sometimes relax my IF on a weekend but not by much and never go over 20g carbs or have a large caloric intake! I think on my worse day maybe 1200!!! I figure as I have so much to lose still (4 stone) I need to be quite extreme, and medically I can't exercise at all until I have had a surgery that I'm waiting for. I did try to increase my calories to 1100 and I gained 3lb in about 3 days lol!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #4  

Hi, How frustrating! I had a few thoughts reading your post. My first thought was about hypothyroid having an effect. If you aren't already doing so, it might be worthwhile to get your thyroid doctor's input, maybe check your levels.

The other thing I wanted to add was if you are getting a positive test for ketones, then you are in ketosis. About 5 yrs ago, I did a keto diet and was advised that as long as I had any ketones at all, it didn't matter how much. It meant that fat burning was taking place.

I hope adding back eggs will get things going. Good luck!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Hi, How frustrating! I had a few thoughts reading your post. My first thought was about hypothyroid having an effect. If you aren't already doing so, it might be worthwhile to get your thyroid doctor's input, maybe check your levels.

The other thing I wanted to add was if you are getting a positive test for ketones, then you are in ketosis. About 5 yrs ago, I did a keto diet and was advised that as long as I had any ketones at all, it didn't matter how much. It meant that fat burning was taking place.

I hope adding back eggs will get things going. Good luck!
Hi, thank you for your comments, I think maybe I will get a blood test as I've stuck for 3/4 weeks now. Also now have confirmation that my surgery will take place in september, so by new year I will be able to start exercising again!!! I will have to just keep ploughing through until I break this 2 stone barrier, also try to be glad I'm not gaining weight.
Will arrange bloods today and update when I finally get over this 2 stone block 😁

Last edited by Trace; 07-17-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #6  

i heard so much about keto
what is it?
leo1122 is offline   Reply With Quote